Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LR3 engines

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

dcproven

dcproven

David (NCLR082)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • KK6NDY
  • 1995 LWB RRC
  • 1977 Series III

Just for the sake of argument:

How hard is to work on a LR3 engine?

Parts available, prices, ... can be done DIY (tolerances/tools are within hobby mechanic reach...) 

I bumped yesterday into a local LR3 for $3K, engine needs a lot of work or replacement, since they have not changed oil for the last 2 years... noisy and what not, bearings and some other stuff needs work I am sure ...

So yeah, i had some impure thoughts on getting me a project LR3 one day (not now though, but maybe one day)

So for all of you with a LR3 or similar engine, what is your DIY rating on this trucks?

Not scared of electronics, sensors or computers.

Thoughts?

I always liked the RRS better but seems to be the same vehicle with different shell anyway...

alpaca

alpaca

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I have the sport - yes - same platform - the engines seem to be pretty reliable - good idea to change driveline fluids periodically - but overall not a lot of major issues. Suspension bushings will not last much beyond 60k ....

I didn't take engine apart - but I would first start with a flush and new (maybe high mileage) synthic oil - and inspect filter for metal debris and do used oil analysis to see what metal levels look like - before I'd start taking it all apart ). If sludge is causing lifters to stick etc. just cleaning it out might be all you need -

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2006 RRS
2002 911

2003 E46
2008 C300

2015 Cherokee

lutz

lutz

NCLR053/SCLR

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Grover Beach CA
  • KK6QGU
  • 2004 Discovery 2
  • 1999 Discovery 2
  • 2008 LR3

If it sounds like a diesel it most likely the timing chain and tensioner . If you willing to risk it i would get it for as cheap as possible if engine is dead not worth replacing

KK6QGU
04 Discovery 2-Trail truck- RTE 3in with fox 2.0 shocks, $g rear cones ,$G front bumper with Warn XD9000i custom rear,ARB's air lockers F&R with Ashcroft 4.12 w/reverse cut front , Ashcroft HD axles/CV's, RTE diff guards F&R , Max Yedor HD tie rod and track rod,custom watts, 255/85-16 MAXXIS MT-762 BIGHORN

99 Discovery 2 -Parts truck

2008 lr3

http://www.pacificadventuretours.com/

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

In general the 4.4 has been very reliable so I don't see many people doing big engine work on them.  Thermostat housings can crack, but you don't see a lot of actual repairs to the engine itself.  I haven't given it a good look as to how hard it would be to remove.  It may be easier to lift the body off - which actually isn't that hard if you have a lift to do it.  Colin might be the best bet for input on that as he's done a body off on his when he swapped transmissions.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

If it sounds like a diesel it most likely the timing chain and tensioner . If you willing to risk it i would get it for as cheap as possible if engine is dead not worth replacing

Ah yes, I forgot about that but it is a known item.  Not super common but a possibility.  Of course anything is possible but I'd still expect to just start with general maintenance and go from there.  I don't know anybody who's done a full rebuild or replacement so I have no idea what the costs would be.  I'd guess you could buy a take-out engine for under $5K.

Don

dcproven

dcproven

David (NCLR082)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • KK6NDY
  • 1995 LWB RRC
  • 1977 Series III

About $5K is what they quoted the guy for an engine replacement with 50K miles-ish.

Again, not going to do this one, but I just wanted to know what LR3 owners general feeling is about working on the engine, at one point or another I will find one too good to pass on...

NThyrring

NThyrring

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • 2007 LR3
  • 2013 Range Rover Sport
On Monday I'm going to tear mine in part, to replace main rear seal.

At that time I'm also going to change the transmission filter and pan over to the new metal version.

I'm going to remove the driveshafts and service the front and rear differentials.

...and since I've gone that far I'll probably take a look at potentially rebuilding the transmission.

I'm sure that I will find other things to do while I've got it torn apart.
  • dcproven likes this
Thank you,

Nils

2007 LR3
2013 Range Rover Sport

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Sure....I'll just rebuild the transmission while I'm in there.  Might as well.  

That's taking 'preventative maintenance' to a new level.

Don

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Sure....I'll just rebuild the transmission while I'm in there.  Might as well.  

That's taking 'preventative maintenance' to a new level.

Don,

Yes, you and I take the approach "don't fix it unless it is broken", and then proceed to break it so we can fix it ....

Graeme

• DHappel and Timbo like this

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users