Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

radio and intercom

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Do any of you have experience with an in-rig intercom?  Maybe Lutzi with the Baja Bug?

The new D1 is loud enough on the highway you have to yell at your passenger to be heard and forget about hearing a radio.  I'll pull out the CB  that's in it and put in a Ham, but I may also want to set up a 2-person intercom that ties the radio in as well as maybe bluetooth for phone or music.  I wouldn't need it on the trail and would just run the regular radio speaker, but the wind and tire noise on the highway are what I'm trying to get around.

Thoughts?

And while we're at it, any radio recommendations?  I'm tempted to get another FT8800 but the fact is I don't need that many features in this rig and I'd rather put the money into more power and ease of use instead of dual bands.

I know Jared is away in Baja so my regular radio guy isn't going to see this for a while but anybody else care to chime in?

• Jethro likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Do any of you have experience with an in-rig intercom?  Maybe Lutzi with the Baja Bug?

The new D1 is loud enough on the highway you have to yell at your passenger to be heard and forget about hearing a radio.  I'll pull out the CB  that's in it and put in a Ham, but I may also want to set up a 2-person intercom that ties the radio in as well as maybe bluetooth for phone or music.  I wouldn't need it on the trail and would just run the regular radio speaker, but the wind and tire noise on the highway are what I'm trying to get around.

Thoughts?

And while we're at it, any radio recommendations?  I'm tempted to get another FT8800 but the fact is I don't need that many features in this rig and I'd rather put the money into more power and ease of use instead of dual bands.

I know Jared is away in Baja so my regular radio guy isn't going to see this for a while but anybody else care to chime in?

Don,

FT2900R for the amateur radio.  Everything you need.  75W Power, 2M only, computer programmable, easy operation.  Amazing audio, and under $160.

For the intercom, unless you're going to wear helmets, or headphones, it is quite hard to do.  I have used things like the Sena SMH5 on a motorcycle, and they aren't too pricey.  Add them to a cheap open-face helmet to give some sound deadening maybe?  They are bluetooth and have an FM radio too.

Graeme

Edited by GraemeWare, 02 April 2017 - 05:19 PM.

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
I like Graemes suggestion. I have a Scala G9 for the bike and it's terrific. I've had friends get the newest top-line Sena and they say it's a big improvement over the G9. Just get something you can hook headphones too, and use the mic boom designed for open face helmets, and you should have great quality that will last you at least a full day on a single charge.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

lutz

lutz

NCLR053/SCLR

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Grover Beach CA
  • KK6QGU
  • 2004 Discovery 2
  • 1999 Discovery 2
  • 2008 LR3

I run rugged radios 4ch intercom with headsets in the baja.They work great plus have a cellphone jack and audio jack .Pci also make a really good intercom setup. They have adapters that work with most Ham and commercial radios.

https://www.pciraceradios.com/

https://www.ruggedradios.com/

Edited by lutz, 02 April 2017 - 05:59 PM.

KK6QGU
04 Discovery 2-Trail truck- RTE 3in with fox 2.0 shocks, $g rear cones ,$G front bumper with Warn XD9000i custom rear,ARB's air lockers F&R with Ashcroft 4.12 w/reverse cut front , Ashcroft HD axles/CV's, RTE diff guards F&R , Max Yedor HD tie rod and track rod,custom watts, 255/85-16 MAXXIS MT-762 BIGHORN

99 Discovery 2 -Parts truck

2008 lr3

http://www.pacificadventuretours.com/

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Thanks for the quick notes.  I did a quick cruise around Rugged's site and they have stuff that would work but certainly not cheap.

The ideal setup would be basic over-ear headphones to dampen wind/tire noise and a boom mic.  Yesterday Michele was wearing her shooting earmuffs any time we got on the highway anyway so not much change there.  Then have vox for inter-rig coms and a PTT for the radio also using vox for the mic.  The intercom seems common enough, but making sure it will work with whatever radio I go with is the key.

I haven't messed with any bike coms in years and I'm sure they've come a long way.  The only question would be how to integrate it with a radio since clearly it wouldn't be designed for that.

Time to google the FT2900R.

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

So while we're at it .... antenna recommendations?

Not ideal, but I'll likely mount it to an existing tab on the front bumper where the current CB antenna is located.  It's just an easy and safe location.

Don

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Why not mount to the center of that bar that overhangs the back a bit? That's not covered by canvas, right?

A word of caution on over-ear headphones - you may find yourself with a ticket depending on the cop. 

2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery

So while we're at it .... antenna recommendations?

Not ideal, but I'll likely mount it to an existing tab on the front bumper where the current CB antenna is located. It's just an easy and safe location.

I know you can use existing CB equipment with adapter plugs...Matt did that on his.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I've never considered it but the idea of an adapter to try to use CB equipment just doesn't sound right.  I think I'll pass on that.

As for putting it on that rear bar, I could and it would be nice and high though there's not much of a ground plane up there so I'm not sure how that would perform.  The main worry is knocking it off on a tree.  It's worth considering though.

• JFuller likes this

Don

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
Yea. Putting it up high has its disadvantages. I have read that using a spring mount is a no no on ham stuff. I have mine in roughly the same location as nick and you need to remember to fold it down when passing by or under trees. I already lost a piece of the one I got for Christmas. I found that I could have it folded down for close range truck to truck stuff. But had to stand it up for any real range.

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
I have a Comet SBB-1, which is a short, flexible, rubber-coated antenna so I generally don't worry too much about damage. Unless it's bent within a few inches of the base it will pop back back into shape. I've banged it against all kinds of branches so far.

I've been thinking about getting a long antenna and an AB switcher to use for base camp or emergencies when I need to get a signal out further, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

I've got a Diamond NR770HBNMO on the roof of my truck on a Diamond NMO mag mount and I've whacked that thing A LOT on overhanging branches while on trail and it's no worse for wear.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Well, I don't have a roof on this truck so no mag mounts for me.  :)

And if I go with the suggested FT2900R I won't need a dual-band antenna since that's a pretty basic 2m radio as I recall.

I'm still leaning toward putting it on the bull bar tab as I'm almost certain to knock anything off of the top.   A break-away antenna would be an option I suppose, though most of them seem to 'break' pretty high up.  Though with the soft top maybe I'll make more effort to keep from dragging limbs over the top of the rig.

Don

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

And if I go with the suggested FT2900R I won't need a dual-band antenna since that's a pretty basic 2m radio as I recall.

Don,

Far from basic, but 2M only (and when did you last use 70 cms?)

I took a quick look for the picture of my antenna .... I know it is on this forum somewhere .... got me from San Carlos to the Strawberry repeater ....

Graeme

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I'm barely worthy of my call-sign.  I don't use 99% of the features of my FT8800 so yeah, 70 cm isn't really worth it for me so I'll likely get the FT2900.  Simple is good.  Cheap isn't bad either.  :)

I'm seeing lots of recommendations for Larson 5/8 wave antennas around the interwebz, but without a proper ground plane I don't think I can use a 5/8.  So what's the hot ticket in a break-away setup that I could mount to a tab welded to the roll cage?

Don

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

I'm barely worthy of my call-sign.  I don't use 99% of the features of my FT8800 so yeah, 70 cm isn't really worth it for me so I'll likely get the FT2900.  Simple is good.  Cheap isn't bad either.   :)

I'm seeing lots of recommendations for Larson 5/8 wave antennas around the interwebz, but without a proper ground plane I don't think I can use a 5/8.  So what's the hot ticket in a break-away setup that I could mount to a tab welded to the roll cage?

Don,

You know I'm a 5/8 Larson man, so I'd go for that.  There is no more efficient antenna unless you go for a beam.  Hitting trees with a steel whip is neither here nor there, and I haven't yet knocked the Diamond mag mount off Katrina either, which is more than can be said for the previous mag mount.

I'd weld a tab on the roll bar and you'll have the best ground plane you can get.  Substitute for a Comet B10 (NMO) when you want to go really "stealth", and that will even run 70cms for you.  One of those (on a mag mount) got from one end of Cow Mountain to the other, when used on a Subaru with a handheld Wouxan.

Graeme

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

It's dirt cheap, but the Larson 150NMO is also 4' tall.  I don't see putting that on the top of the cage - just too tall.  About the only safe place I could put something that tall would be at the front bull bar or behind the rig - say at the body line with it running up behind/past the cage.  I don't know what that would do to the pattern though; nothing good I'd think.

Don

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Don,

Tall is good. No problem on Katrina (once I had the descent mag mount). It is only a stainless whip, so bends easily. Can even get them in black to match the rollbar!

Graeme

Edited by GraemeWare, 05 April 2017 - 07:00 PM.

• lutz likes this

lutz

lutz

NCLR053/SCLR

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Grover Beach CA
  • KK6QGU
  • 2004 Discovery 2
  • 1999 Discovery 2
  • 2008 LR3

Don,

Tall is good. No problem on Katrina (once I had the descent mag mount. It is only a stainless whip, so bends easily. Can even get them in black to match the rollbar!

Graeme

I have mine on top to .Never had a problem on the trail with it.I myself love the dual channel radios mainly to be able to listen to two different channel at the same time.ive hear good things about the new btech uv-50x2 its going into the baja next

KK6QGU
04 Discovery 2-Trail truck- RTE 3in with fox 2.0 shocks, $g rear cones ,$G front bumper with Warn XD9000i custom rear,ARB's air lockers F&R with Ashcroft 4.12 w/reverse cut front , Ashcroft HD axles/CV's, RTE diff guards F&R , Max Yedor HD tie rod and track rod,custom watts, 255/85-16 MAXXIS MT-762 BIGHORN

99 Discovery 2 -Parts truck

2008 lr3

http://www.pacificadventuretours.com/

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

So here's the rear hoop Chad suggested using.  It's as high as you can get and it would be easy enough to add a mounting tab, but boy would that thing be sticking up high!  I suppose a mag-mount could be used in the hopes that it would pop off (and be retained by the cable) before breaking.

IMG_20170405_134602166_zpszlacimko.jpg

There's already a mounting tab on the bull bar.  This would be very protected as it's down low, but of course not as good for transmission/reception.  There's currently a CB antenna mounted (removed in the pic) here.  It would be a little more difficult to snake the cable up there (I have no idea what the cable on it is now but being CB I assume nothing special, and the CB is mounted under the front seat while I plan to install the new radio above the windshield header using the cage tube)

IMG_20170405_134531132_HDR_zpsu2v6guxw.j

Then there's this option - note the flat piece of diamond plate at the back corner of the 'bed'.  This is higher than the front bumper, easy to access, and would only stick up past the roof line by a couple feet instead of 4'.  It's also inside the 'envelope' of the body so it's somewhat protected.  The downside is it would be right next to the cage tubes which would have an unknown effect on performance.

IMG_20170405_134428335_HDR_zpsfxp3fwjx.j

I think I like the last option best - any thoughts about what that vertical cage tube running beside the antenna would do?

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users