Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Which Air Compressor?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109
I need to replace the air compressor on the 06 LR3

Atlantic British has three for sale, one is made by Hitachi for$820.00(recommended by AB), the other one is LR genuine part $970.00 and the third one is of an unknown brand for 620.00

I'm leaning towards the Hitachi unless you have other suggestions. I know there's one by AMK but was not able to find it.

Or there's also the option of rebuilding the old one as Don suggested. need to research that a bit more.

http://www.roverpart.../Parts/LR023964

http://www.roverpart...Parts/LR072537G

TIA

Edited by DiscoChef, 23 April 2017 - 08:37 AM.

Enrique
KI6QBY

NCLR #10 Current Director & Founding Member
1962 Series IIA Reg. Waiting to be restored :(

1967 Series IIA Two Door Pick Up, Daily Driver
1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD
1995 LWB RubiconReady, SOLD
1998 D1, 4.6 Relocated to KY 

1998 D1 Arles Blue. Dismantled 
06 LR3 HSE ARB bumper with Warn Winch

1992 SWB Da Yeti. Dusy Ready

Justin

Justin

NCLR Marketing Director

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • 1991 Range Rover GDE
  • retired-1996 Discovery
  • sold-2001 Range Rover

We tend to sell the AB one alot at the shop, only thing thats a negative is its much louder cause of the mounting bracket is a different style. OE has this cover that helps muffle the sound out, while the ab one does not and is just in the open. 

• DiscoChef likes this

Phil.

Phil.

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • KO6RRS
  • 2006 Range Rover Sport
  • 1995 Defender 90 SW

Do you have the RS sliders on your LR3? On my RRS, the AMK could not be fitted because of the sliders. Frank would have had to cut the sliders because of the different mounting bracket the AMK uses so he ended up getting the Hitachi from AB for me.

• DiscoChef likes this

2006 Java Black Range Rover Sport HSE | 1995 Alpine White D90 SW #317/500
nclrclub.jpg
jeepsuvlandroverbanner.gif

NCLR014

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

I'm leaning towards the Hitachi unless you have other suggestions. I know there's one by AMK but was not able to find it.

Or there's also the option of rebuilding the old one as Don suggested. need to research that a bit more.

http://www.roverpart.../Parts/LR023964

http://www.roverpart...Parts/LR072537G

Enrique,

I think the second link there is an AMK isn't it?

Graeme

• DiscoChef likes this

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Enrique,

Graeme

Enrique,

And my research shows a Lincoln Navigator part may fit (not sure of model year yet).

Graeme

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109

We tend to sell the AB one alot at the shop, only thing thats a negative is its much louder cause of the mounting bracket is a different style. OE has this cover that helps muffle the sound out, while the ab one does not and is just in the open.

Justin, The one AB recommends is the Hitachi. I assume that it can go back into the same enclosure as the existing one.

Do you have the RS sliders on your LR3? On my RRS, the AMK could not be fitted because of the sliders. Frank would have had to cut the sliders because of the different mounting bracket the AMK uses so he ended up getting the Hitachi from AB for me.

No sliders Phil. Was there an advantage to go with the AMK? BTW, I caught a glimpse of "Splash Fro" on a Warriors commercial last week, people looked at me weird when I started going: I know him, I know him, that's Phil LOL you've made yourself famous!

Enrique,

Graeme

It doesn't say who the manufacturer is or have any reviews and all it shows is a plastic enclosure. I will give them a call tomorrow

Edited by DiscoChef, 23 April 2017 - 08:41 PM.

Enrique
KI6QBY

1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Justin, The one AB recommends is the Hitachi. I assume that it can go back into the same enclosure as the existing one.

No sliders Phil. Was there an advantage to go with the AMK? BTW, I caught a glimpse of "Splash Fro" on a Warriors commercial last week, people looked at me weird when I started going: I know him, I know him, that's Phil LOL you've made yourself famous!

Enrique,

AMK was just the later design, when LR had supply issues.  There is a Dunlop branded unit, which appears to be the same as the Htachi.  Might just have to get one to see.  Would come in at $670 before discount (so $603 after).

Graeme

• DiscoChef likes this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Here is the compressor rebuild kit I was talking about:

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually have one of these and my old compressor sitting on a shelf as a 'back up', though I have an AMK currently installed.  

The AMK does hang a bit lower than the earlier Hitatchi compressor, so if you're running sliders you'll need to make some mods to accommodate the change. I have made some tweeks to mine but I still get some rattling when the compressor is running and bumps against the slider a bit - typically happens after I've been playing in the mud and the area under/around the compressor gets fulled with solidified mud/dirt.  

• DiscoChef likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Phil.

Phil.

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • KO6RRS
  • 2006 Range Rover Sport
  • 1995 Defender 90 SW

Haha. That footage was from last season. It ran in the warriors.com commercial for the 2nd half of the season and they reused it in the revised version all season long. 

Here's what someone posted on rr.net about the compressor:

The only reason there was the change from the Hitachi to the AMK is that the Hitachi factory was severely damaged in an earthquake and productions ceased - the ensure supplies for new vehicle manufacturer LR switched to the AMK compressor. The compressor itself is not all the much better than the old Hitachi - it was software changes that were introduced with the AMK that resulted in its improved reliablity - the software changes (the one you use when the AMK is installed) reduces the pressure in the system so the AMK does not have to work as hard. 

The Hitachi and its knockoffs have started to make a bit of a resurgence being cheaper than the AMK particularly if pressure reducing software is used where its reliable seems to match the AMK now.

However the as AMK is now fitted as the standard compressor to newer models, my view would be to fit the AMK rather than the newer Hitachis or Dunlop knockoffs.

• DiscoChef likes this

2006 Java Black Range Rover Sport HSE | 1995 Alpine White D90 SW #317/500
nclrclub.jpg
jeepsuvlandroverbanner.gif

NCLR014

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109

Enrique,

AMK was just the later design, when LR had supply issues.  There is a Dunlop branded unit, which appears to be the same as the Htachi.  Might just have to get one to see.  Would come in at $670 before discount (so $603 after).

Graeme

Thanks Graeme!

I wonder if a business DBA Roverware carries this product?

Enrique
KI6QBY

1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Thanks Graeme!

Enrique,

How strange that you should ask .... I believe they have one arriving next week for evaluation.

Graeme

• DiscoChef likes this

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Enrique,

How strange that you should ask .... I believe they have one arriving next week for evaluation.

So I now have one of the Dunlop compressors sitting here next to me.

First thing I notice is that it claims to have a Country of Origin of "United Kingdom" (both on the outside of the box, and on the unit itself).

LR011837A is the reference part number.  The fit and finish is good and all the wiring is nicely done.

Pictures here:

http://www.roverware...-lr3-lr072537a/

I have no idea whether this is identical-looking to the Hitachi, because we don't have one to compare with.  The notes say "Air Susp Comp Hitachi only" which might be because the AMK needed software/firmware changes in the BCU of the LR3.

I wonder whether LR went out to bid on the compressor and this was Dunlop's resulting design to fill the LR spec.  Maybe having done the design, they didn't get the contract, but thought they may as well sell the unit as a replacement?

Just looking for a willing beta tester now ....

Graeme

Edited by GraemeWare, 13 May 2017 - 08:34 AM.

• DiscoChef likes this

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109
Graeme, I just finished rebuilding a Hitachi and plan to install it this sunday, if no workie, i call you and be your beta tester.
  • AlysonH likes this

Enrique
KI6QBY

1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Graeme, I just finished rebuilding a Hitachi and plan to install it this sunday, if no workie, i call you and be your beta tester.

Enrique,

How did it go?

Graeme

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109
We'll Graeme, I guess I was being too optimistic... Had a large gig today and made it home by 6pm and too pooped to wrench, hopefully sometime during the week I'll let you know .

Have you ever taken one apart? Wandering how the hoses get disconnected, they look liked they're crimped in place. Anyone know??

Enrique
KI6QBY

1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109

Enrique,

How did it go?

Graeme

Finally got it done! seems to be working just fine but i realize that the compressor itself is eleven years old and it may not last very long (fingers crossed)
Also replaced brake pads on all four wheels!

Enrique
KI6QBY

1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Finally got it done! seems to be working just fine but i realize that the compressor itself is eleven years old and it may not last very long (fingers crossed)
Also replaced brake pads on all four wheels!

I don't think I've ever heard of the actual motor wearing out.  It's always the desiccant, a leak from a crack in the desiccant cap, or the ring on the piston.  Your kit should have addressed all those items so you should get years of service out of it.

• DiscoChef likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109

I don't think I've ever heard of the actual motor wearing out.  It's always the desiccant, a leak from a crack in the desiccant cap, or the ring on the piston.  Your kit should have addressed all those items so you should get years of service out of it.

Well, at some point the motor will wear out (brushes or armature)although, i gotta say that for as hard as they work I think the Hitachi is a pretty good unit. I looked at the one that Roverware carries and it looks identical to the one installed by the factory.
The kit from Ebay is pretty complete but in retrospect, I should have bought the one that includes the relay. I had to buy it at the stealership and paid $39.00 for it. it's a relay made by Ford so I'm sure that it's available for less elsewhere.

Enrique
KI6QBY

1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD