Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

98 Discovery VSS

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Lauroness

Lauroness

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Fairfield, CA
  • 1998 Discovery LE
Does anyone know of a simple fix to this thing. It's the second one to go out. Doing same thing as the first. Cruising on the highway at 65 and then the power just disappeared. Slows down to about 59-60ish and just goes back to normal.

The very first time it started doing this it was worst. It'd come down from like 55 to about 45 but it would repeat after accelerating about 55.

I'm wondering if anyone know how I can fix the sensor or cleaning it would help. I just don't want to keep spending money on new sensors every 2 years.

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

I'm wondering if anyone know how I can fix the sensor or cleaning it would help. I just don't want to keep spending money on new sensors every 2 years.

Assuming it is your vss, then you can try to pull it apart and rebuild it (if you're handy).  Takes a bit of brute force to open it.  Typically the plastic bushing is shot, causing the magnets to whack the casing.  It is only a read switch and magnets.

I expect you bought a Britpart replacement last time?  They last for about two runs to the store .... genuine is the only way to go, but they are normally a little over $200 each.

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users