Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

2007 LR3 Check Engine Light 308 & 316

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD

So I fixed the sagging headliner on my 04 DII.  Yay!  Now, I was greeted by a yellow check engine light on my 07 LR3 this morning (this happened twice in the morning last two week, but it went away after I cleared the codes and the engine was warmed up). Codes 0308 and 0316 engine misfired.

Here's how it went this morning.  Starting the engine wasn't an issue.  As I drove away to drop my boys at their school, the engine hesitated, check engine light flashing along the short drive to school (appears to be speed limiter and won't let me go faster than 35 mph) and then the check engine light came on.

I cleared it with my Scan Gauge.  And by this time, I was on my way back home, and the engine was warmed up already (temp needle gauge slightly below the half way mark).  The LR3 ran fine rest of the day, and no more check engine light.

Hmmm....  Google search found me some short post suggesting to clean the MAF or TB.

Any other suggestions.  MAF was changed in early 2015.  Last tune-up was last fall of 2016 (changed spark plus, coil wires, etc...) and I just changed the oil and air filter two weeks ago before my Vegas trip.  Afterwards, that's when the check engine light started to appear.

Here's my handsome LR3 - 07 HSE with HD.  Ready to tow a boat and hit the Delta waters (once I fix this check engine light issue and get the boat ready)

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.JPG   240.11KB   12 downloads

Edited by RON CT110, 25 April 2017 - 05:52 AM.

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I don't know the codes by number as convieniently the GAP tool gives a description as well as the number (and more details to boot).  

Cleaning the throttle body and MAF should probably just be considered regular maintenance on these things.  It's super easy and only costs a couple bucks for the cleaners at a local autoparts store.  The MAF is easiest as you just unclip the wires and pull out two torx screws to lift it out then spray it down.  The throttle body is a bit more work since you have to remove the intake air tube then pull the 4 bolts that hold it to the intake manifold, but you don't have to remove the coolant hose that goes to it and you can re-use the metal gasket.  

If you want to come by my place Sunday I'll be wrenching on Bear's LR3 doing lower control arms.  I have the cleaners on hand and it wouldn't take long to show you how to do it.  It'll take you a lot longer to make the drive up here!

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

FWIW, I believe there is usually a 4-number code (I thought the numbers seemed odd) but those may be cylinder misfire codes.  If so, I would suspect an ignition coil as a possibility.  See if you can get any better descriptions on the errors.  Also of note, I believe you can use a Ford PN for the coils but don't know which without digging into it.

I'll try to remember to bring my GAP tool to the MoM as I believe I can read codes on any vehicle even though the more advanced features are VIN specific.

Edited by DHappel, 24 April 2017 - 11:12 AM.

Don

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD

That would be great Don; thanks for the offer.  Let me check the sched w/my boys this Sunday and with Carlos (the other Mexxis brother) - we are suppose to be changing the oil on my boat.  BTW, I dropped my old sponsor Pacifico.  Appears Lagunitas is my new sponsor if that's ok (for refreshments after we all done) :)

C yah!

Edited by RON CT110, 24 April 2017 - 01:24 PM.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

FYI Don, 

he has an IID tool, we just need to set it up. It's my old one. 

Ron,

You should be able to read and clear codes with the tool without it even being on your vin, did you get the app and try playing with it?

:lr:

2006 Discovery 3(Build Thread)

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Instagram: CondorDavis

23669857085_fe30f0934c.jpg

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD

FYI Don, 

he has an IID tool, we just need to set it up. It's my old one. 

Ron,

You should be able to read and clear codes with the tool without it even being on your vin, did you get the app and try playing with it?

Hey hey Connor!  Last week was my last day at work, so now I will have time.  Today is the first day I am starting to dig thru all my stuff.  Thanks!

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Even if you don't have the app, just plug it in and use the steering wheel buttons to toggle through the menus.  It's easier with the app, but you can still do it that way.  You can find the button functions on their website I think.  Though at that point you may as well download the app.

• DHappel likes this

Don

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD

FWIW, I believe there is usually a 4-number code (I thought the numbers seemed odd) but those may be cylinder misfire codes.

Fixed my post; I originally dropped the leading zero.

Edited by RON CT110, 25 April 2017 - 11:09 AM.

William Stephenson

William Stephenson

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • San Francisco
  • p38a 4.6
308 and 316? Did you mean P0308 and P1316? If that's the case your P0308 indicates a cylinder 8 misfire and P1316 is misfire on initial 1000 revolutions.
Flashing indicates an active misfire. It goes into Limp mode because of the misfire.
I don't want to be a bossy Internet guy, but easiest thing to do is swap coils from #8 to #6 and see if the misfires code turns into a p0306.
#8 is the last cylinder (closest to the driver) on bank 2, #6 is the one directly in front of it.
  • DHappel and aebrownleeiv like this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

308 and 316? Did you mean P0308 and P1316? If that's the case your P0308 indicates a cylinder 8 misfire and P1316 is misfire on initial 1000 revolutions.
Flashing indicates an active misfire. It goes into Limp mode because of the misfire.
I don't want to be a bossy Internet guy, but easiest thing to do is swap coils from #8 to #6 and see if the misfires code turns into a p0306.
#8 is the last cylinder (closest to the driver) on bank 2, #6 is the one directly in front of it.

Ah ha - an actual tech verifies what I suspected.  Possible coil issue.  I haven't had to do coils on my LR3 yet but I'm sure we could make it happen.  I know where you can get $10 off for a purchase at Atlantic British if you needed....   :)

Don

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD

Don, William & others, thanks for the feedback.  Been busy traveling, and didn't get the chance to mention that I took mine to CTMotorwerks w/following updates:

- Misfire codes P0308 and P0316 was caused by a loose #8 spark plug.  It was properly tighten, and no more misfires.

- Rough idle/hesitation was due to bad fuel injectors.  #5 and #6 injectors were replaced, and got the rest of them replaced while at it.  My LR3 has 170k miles, and I use only premium fuel in CA (maybe that's the problem - I should consider e-free gas stations).

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

Ron, 

try out that BG 44k fuel treatment in the tank. Used some every 15k on mine, worked very well. 

• Justin likes this

:lr:

2006 Discovery 3(Build Thread)

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Instagram: CondorDavis

23669857085_fe30f0934c.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

You know, I normally shy away from fuel treatments like that as 'snake oil', but admit I've purchased some BG44 to run through the LR3 as well.  

It's not expensive and I figure it won't hurt even if it doesn't help much.  I can't say I noticed a difference but like I said, it didn't hurt anything.

Don

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

You know, I normally shy away from fuel treatments like that as 'snake oil', but admit I've purchased some BG44 to run through the LR3 as well.  

It's not expensive and I figure it won't hurt even if it doesn't help much.  I can't say I noticed a difference but like I said, it didn't hurt anything.

Direct from the MDS:

Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light  cas# 64742-47-8   15% - 40%
Mineral Spirits cas# 8052-41-3   15% - 40%

So, it contains a variable amount of barbecue lighter and paint thinner ....

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users