Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

ATF transmission lines replaced now it behaves different

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

dcproven

dcproven

David (NCLR082)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • KK6NDY
  • 1995 LWB RRC
  • 1977 Series III

So, I replaced all the lines, transmission to radiators.

It all went smooth enough (I noticed one of the lines up front slightly bent)

So now the transmission behaves different, I checked the level a million times, cold, after all gears back to N, etc. done this before many times before, so I am very confident it is on the right level (and it was the same before).

So anyway, the box now feels like a new box, it shifts later, but engages harder (not bumpy, just you can feel it shifting more), it shifts later too (before it would shift in the 2-2.5K RPM, now it seems to go 2.5-3K RPM). The torque lock seems to engage as always in the 50+ MPH and it goes very smooth and strong on freeway, going up or down small grades. It seems to keep the whole thing cooler too (which I could understand since the old lines were, well, old and leaky).

The new lines don't leak (AFAIK) and there is nothing weird, again, AFAIK, but just replacing the lines and adding whatever ATF it lost (which came out clean enough and it is the left over from my last ATF filter & fluid change) shouldn't make a big difference.

Or should it? Maybe the old line were not able to keep the right pressure or the new ones are bad? (This is a kit from Atlantic British BTW)

Your opinion appreciated.

dcproven

dcproven

David (NCLR082)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • KK6NDY
  • 1995 LWB RRC
  • 1977 Series III

Answering myself, kickdown cable got bent in a funny way when fitting the #@^%$@ higher hose in the box, that should be it.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

That would do it.  I was struggling to think how an oil cooler change would cause your issue.  Glad it turned out to be simple. 

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

dcproven

dcproven

David (NCLR082)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • KK6NDY
  • 1995 LWB RRC
  • 1977 Series III

Well, haven't test driven it yet, but my money is on that.... we'll see soon enough.

aebrownleeiv

aebrownleeiv

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • East Bay/WC
  • 2006 LR3 SE HD

How much new fluid did you end up putting in? 

I've seen other transmissions perk up surprisingly well from even a 10% fluid replacement when the current stuff is way passed expiration. 

dcproven

dcproven

David (NCLR082)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • KK6NDY
  • 1995 LWB RRC
  • 1977 Series III

Fluid was new(ish) only the trip to Baja and Shaver lake on it about 2000 miles on it.

But the problem was indeed the kickdown cable, turns out the sleeve popped out of the box when I was fighting my way with the hoses, making the box think that any gas on the pedal was a kickdown request :) anyhoo, now it's all smooth as expected.

Love when problems have a simple solution.

Thanks everyone.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC