Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

HD Steering

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
Looking like a good time to upgrade my steering links as the steering damper relocation kit I purchased is designed for the HD links and seems a waste of time to modify when I'd originally planned to upgrade at some point anyway... just moving my time lines up some.

Anyway, curious to what folks are running and experiences they've had with them. This is for the D1 I'm building towards being a trail rig or crawling through the Sierras at the least.

So looking for something that will hold up but also not wanting to invest for the most expensive either.

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

Here's some pics to show the slow progress over the last year and a half.

Long ways to go as I'd like it to look similar to Don's new big red combined with some of the other rigs in development in Jefferson country... i.e eventually running 37s.
00c036752ce9fde99398984651a8ce4a.jpg365a5469798c983026ea6a3d0f7dfbe6.jpga0233139cea124bc0d9ec2d23438250f.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

lutz

lutz

NCLR053/SCLR

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Grover Beach CA
  • KK6QGU
  • 2004 Discovery 2
  • 1999 Discovery 2
  • 2008 LR3

i run custom 1 1/2 .250 wall dom with weld in bungs and 3/4 heims with high misalignment spacers. the down side is you have to drill out the holes to 5/8 and price. ive tried  terrafrima 3omm bars and taco it first time out.

Edited by lutz, 09 May 2017 - 09:55 AM.

• Jethro likes this

KK6QGU
04 Discovery 2-Trail truck- RTE 3in with fox 2.0 shocks, $g rear cones ,$G front bumper with Warn XD9000i custom rear,ARB's air lockers F&R with Ashcroft 4.12 w/reverse cut front , Ashcroft HD axles/CV's, RTE diff guards F&R , Max Yedor HD tie rod and track rod,custom watts, 255/85-16 MAXXIS MT-762 BIGHORN

99 Discovery 2 -Parts truck

2008 lr3

http://www.pacificadventuretours.com/

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Hit up Graeme for a set of Gwyn Lewis Sumo Bars. I picked up a set from him and have been running them on the truck for quite a while, very happy with them as they have handled everything I have thrown at them. Better quality than the TF set. Graeme has managed to bend a Sumo Bar in the past, but he's a special case.. :P

34396613842_942fe62df2_b.jpg

• Jethro likes this

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER

Next to the unobtanium Max Yedor bars Gwyn Lewis has the best ... so call Graeme @ Roverware

• Jethro likes this

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I have been present during the bending of a Sumo bar.  But that was on Fordyce and as stated, Graeme has special abilities.  ;)

In case you want a look at what I've got under the red D1, here are a couple shots. This isn't a quick bolt-on though

You need both left and right hand drive steering spindles to do this.  I moves everything to the front of the axle and up a bit higher.  All heims instead of ball joints.  S/S bars (better memory).  Instead of a damper, a PSC hydro assist.  And I think the pitman arm is off a different Rover but I'm not sure what model.

IMG_20170509_181710018_zpsy6equhqp.jpg

IMG_20170509_181614302_zpsuwae0bkw.jpg

• Jethro likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

lutz

lutz

NCLR053/SCLR

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Grover Beach CA
  • KK6QGU
  • 2004 Discovery 2
  • 1999 Discovery 2
  • 2008 LR3

hey don i would put safety washers on your heims https://www.kartek.c...ty-washers.html

my setup

arbandtrackrods015.jpg

arbandtrackrods014.jpg

Edited by lutz, 09 May 2017 - 06:36 PM.

KK6QGU
04 Discovery 2-Trail truck- RTE 3in with fox 2.0 shocks, $g rear cones ,$G front bumper with Warn XD9000i custom rear,ARB's air lockers F&R with Ashcroft 4.12 w/reverse cut front , Ashcroft HD axles/CV's, RTE diff guards F&R , Max Yedor HD tie rod and track rod,custom watts, 255/85-16 MAXXIS MT-762 BIGHORN

99 Discovery 2 -Parts truck

2008 lr3

http://www.pacificadventuretours.com/

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Hit up Graeme for a set of Gwyn Lewis Sumo Bars. I picked up a set from him and have been running them on the truck for quite a while, very happy with them as they have handled everything I have thrown at them. Better quality than the TF set. Graeme has managed to bend a Sumo Bar in the past, but he's a special case.. :P

Yes, I compared our Sumobars to some TerrorFarmer ones that Collin was about to fit on a D2 and the difference is huge.  Like most of the TF stuff, they are cheap copies of the real thing.

Our general range is here:

http://www.roverware...and-drag-links/

We can get solid stainless steel Sumobars (both drag link and tie bar) but only carry the stainless drag link.  If you go for the normal set-up, then the best way to achieve more durability for the tie rod is to add a guard for it.  Both Chuck and Tyler run these.

Now, to be fair, yes, I did bend a Sumo drag link, but it is still on Karina even now and finished Fordyce like that (after some re-tracking to get the wheels parallel again).  Keep saying I should change it though, as it looks odd.  For reference though, I moved a rock about four feet and three of us could not even move that same rock afterwards.

Personally, I would still prefer the bars to have some bend, so prefer the hollow version to the solid.  Rather than transferring all the force to the TRE, or worse snapping the steering arms or hub carrier/uprights (which stops you driving home), the hollow bars will yield a little.

Not a fan of the custom solutions, as they become unique from a spares perspective.  All depends upon your needs though.

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeWare, 09 May 2017 - 07:35 PM.

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Not a fan of the custom solutions, as they become unique from a spares perspective.  All depends upon your needs though.

Regards,

Graeme

I've been thinking more about that - I have a lot of custom stuff on this rig; heck half of it I don't even know without digging through the (unorganized) files to try to find a receipt.  The front axles for example are custom with 30 spline Longfield parts working with a Rover diff.  When I *do* break something, it's going to be a process to figure out what's what.  

Edited by DHappel, 09 May 2017 - 07:48 PM.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users