Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

terra firma heavy duty springs

- - - - - lift D1 coils terra firma OME

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

seldomwright

seldomwright

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • oakland
  • Lifted 99 Disco 1

Back for more of the collective wisdom of the forum.

So, '99 D1 SD... recently DIY swapped the rear medium duty Old Man Emu coil springs for heavy duty Terra Firma rear springs combined with a one inch spacer.  Reason being the 32" tires scraped the camel cut body work when jammed up into the wheel well.  So all's well, except that one side seems to have an inch more lift than the other.  

What am I missing here?  I've double checked that everything is seating properly top and bottom on both sides.  Is there some coil spring twist / rotational logic that I'm not seeing?  It's a Discovery 1 so the springs don't have to seat any particular way, the coils are ground flat top and bottom.  

What could be the issue?  One shock not compressing all the way?  The shocks were not touched during the Coil swap.  

Thanks! 

Attached Files

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Back for more of the collective wisdom of the forum.

So, '99 D1 SD... recently DIY swapped the rear medium duty Old Man Emu coil springs for heavy duty Terra Firma rear springs combined with a one inch spacer.  Reason being the 32" tires scraped the camel cut body work when jammed up into the wheel well.  So all's well, except that one side seems to have an inch more lift than the other.  

What am I missing here?  I've double checked that everything is seating properly top and bottom on both sides.  Is there some coil spring twist / rotational logic that I'm not seeing?  It's a Discovery 1 so the springs don't have to seat any particular way, the coils are ground flat top and bottom.  

What could be the issue?  One shock not compressing all the way?  The shocks were not touched during the Coil swap.  

Thanks! 

The problem is in the first line .... TerrorFarmer .... Their quality control is not very good.

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
I'm running the same springs and I notice my passenger side has a lean towards it. I have assumed it is the weight of the tire that is more to that side. I haven't had anyone​ look at with me in there yet to see if it's level.

Is that what you are noticing as well? Could it just be they haven't fully seated?

There is also Graeme's comment, whereby people don't have the highest opinion of TF. I have recently added a few of their products but it's too early to have an comment on them.

For the price I can see value as I'm still learning how to build/setup a rig so very possible I could change stuff out as I get better understanding of the rig and my own abilities.

I do like the gas can holder, where did you get that from?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I can't say that it's the springs specifically, but there's an obvious way to test....

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

seldomwright

seldomwright

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • oakland
  • Lifted 99 Disco 1

Ha Graeme! That sucks, hope not.  A whole inch sounds crazy for QC issues.  That would mean if i swapped them left and right the extra inch would be on the other side right? Hm.  Is that what you are suggesting DHappel...?... or take off the spare and re check?

Jethro, yeah it's higher on the driver side.  Thanks on the tank holder looks, made it DIY style based on other's designs.  

While I have you guys here Graeme  and DHappel ... two more questions.

1- should OME medium duty FRONT coils be compressed to about 10 inches?  Or does that sound like they are dead?  They're super rusty.

2 - can I put my medium duty REAR OME's on the FRONT?  It seems it would lift it 2 inches to about 12" total coil height under load.  Horrible idea?  Or just a cheap ass idea?  I have the HD TF front springs coming in the mail.  

Anybody else going down to Hollister SVRA this weekend for the Molina Ghost run?  I'll be there.

Thanks guys.  

• Jethro likes this

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
Many people put standard rears in the front, so medium rears would probably be fine, if a little stiff, and likely give you about 2.5" of lift without a winch. Try it and see. Doesn't take long.

BTW, the original LR springs we're handed, left and right, because the vehicle weight is different on each corner.

Graeme
  • Jethro likes this

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Yes, I was suggesting swapping the springs side for side and seeing if the list follows.

As for running rears in the front, my '88 RRC has rear stock springs in the front and a small lift spring in the rear giving it about 1" overall lift.  How much/how stiff doing that with your setup would be I couldn't say but it should be doable.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

OME springs are sided like the factory springs. Maybe TF has done that but it's not mentioned? Dunno.

So I'm digging deep, deep into the way back machine for these numbers.

https://discoweb.org/oldsite/lift.htm

https://discoweb.org.../suspension.htm

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lift, D1, coils, terra firma, OME

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users