Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Amendments to the SB-249 Off-highway motor vehicle recreation bill

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Secretary

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
  • 2012 Range Rover (work)
This bill was just passed yesterday https://leginfo.legi...=201720180SB249. For those of you who remember the fight for Carnegie, this bill is fully supported by the same environmental groups that tried to shut it down and now that it has passed through one legislative group, they are closer to being able to shut down not only Carnegie, but all the OHVs. It still needs to go through some more legal channels and then on to the governor, but if you're concerned at all, please pay attention to how this unfolds.

More reading:
https://cal4wheel.co...-249-opposition

Alyson

Edited by AlysonH, 02 June 2017 - 11:49 PM.

• Jethro likes this

Gotrovr

Gotrovr

Rover

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

the following is part of paragraph (2)

Fund and, commencing November 1, 2017, requires the portion of those moneys from a $0.12 per gallon increase, and future inflation adjustments from that increase, to be transferred to the State Parks and Recreation Fund, to be used for state parks, off-highway vehicle programs, or boating programs.  

Why boating programs????   

• Jethro likes this

Will

'05 LR3 HSE "Donkey"

'16 LR4 HSE  "Perseus"

Building a life journey one puzzle piece at a time

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

"OR boating programs"....oh wait, there are none except inspections (which will start having a fee, watch)....

Ok, not money needed for that.  Wait, lets kill the OHV...so that money is gone, and we can't balance the budget so Parks will be closed...

Oh, good, more money for a train.

• Jethro likes this

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
They now have a boating safety card that's becoming mandatory (of course, with a fee), so there's also that.

This bill is a true poison pill, but it likely will sail through. :(

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
Anything that is labeled "protecting the environment" here does if even was to harm others.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I didn't read the text of the article but boating funds often go to building access in the form of ramps and such.  

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
We have a new insider, Matt with the black LR4 works for the state senate and is really worried this bill will set precedent for raiding funds with specific intended purpose.

• AlysonH and RedRover like this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

We have a new insider, Matt with the black LR4 works for the state senate and is really worried this bill will set precedent for raiding funds with specific intended purpose.

And that's new how?  

See gas tax for example.

• Jethro likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

Here's the reply I got from Scott Wiener.

Thank you for your message regarding Senate Bill 249. I understand that this is an important issue for you, and I greatly appreciate you voicing your concern. I voted for this bill in the Senate, and support it moving forward. SB 249 has successfully passed the Senate, and is now in the Assembly for consideration. 

California’s Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation (OHMVR) Program, which helps ensure that off-highway vehicle recreation is done in a sustainable and safe manner, is set to sunset at the end of 2017. The Legislature should reauthorize this program in a way that continues to ensure safe off-highway vehicle recreation while also protecting public resources and cultural sites. 

SB 249 accomplishes three objectives: it extends the sunset date for the OHMVR Program until January 1, 2023, it strengthens environmental protection measures, and it better integrates the Program with the Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR). SB 249 seeks to accomplish these objectives by: clearly delineating resource protection and conservation requirements, creating a Science Advisory Team, and allocating funding sources and improving oversight to ensure program goals are aligned with DPR’s mission to protect the environment and create opportunity for outdoor recreation. 

Again, thank you for voicing your concern, and, while we may not agree on this one issue, I hope you continue your involvement. For more information about the provisions of SB 249, and to stay up to date on the status of the bill, please visit: https://leginfo.legi...201720180SB249   

If you would like to stay updated on my work, please visit sd11.senate.ca.gov

Thank you, 

Scott Wiener 
Senator 
District 11 

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

Jethro