Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LR3 Diff Woes

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

aebrownleeiv

aebrownleeiv

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • East Bay/WC
  • 2006 LR3 SE HD

So, after our Hollister meetup, I noticed a bit more noise than usual on acceleration. After listening for a few days, and a ton of internet reading, I figured I was looking at differential issues. 

I dropped the LR3 off at 11th Street Auto in SF (recommended by Will, who I bought the LR3 from) and they threw her up on the rack and confirmed it's actually both of my differentials that are starting to whine. 

Now, when I was looking for LR3's, I frankly had it in mind that the front was going to need swapped out at some point anyway. I budgeted for it, and planned on it, thinking that "do that once and it'll probably be fine."

I wasn't expecting the rear to go, although since it is an HD and has the locker, I guess that isn't as uncommon? 

So what I'm asking here is, from you guys who have had to swap out for rebuilt diffs, how have yours held up? Especially anyone with a locking rear? 

(Still driving, just not going far, and cancelled plans to use it to pull a motorcycle trailer up to the track a few weeks ago in favor of the Suburban with it's indestructible differentials.) 

I'm also likely going to have the guys at 11th Street just do the swap/replacement, as while I feel confident I could get the job done myself, I don't know what else I should be looking for or aware of when digging that deep in my first LR. Plus, not having a lift makes it a bit of a job to handle over a couple weekends. 

• Justin likes this

aebrownleeiv

aebrownleeiv

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • East Bay/WC
  • 2006 LR3 SE HD

Also I totally blame Will for selling me a lemon. That bastard. 

(Jokes) 

• Justin, RedRover, William Stephenson and 1 other like this

Justin

Justin

NCLR Marketing Director

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • 1991 Range Rover GDE
  • retired-1996 Discovery
  • sold-2001 Range Rover

11th street auto is awesome, both Jack and Peter? are great mechanics and cool guys to bullshit with. 

We've had good luck with used units as well, so I would suggest looking into that route depending on donor vehicle mileage. 

Talk with Matt @ European Auto (916-638-3876)

• aebrownleeiv likes this

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

I got a rebuilt unit from Todd (unseenone on ExPo) and it was great for the short time I had the car. Colin did the swap at CT. 

I do have a rebuild kit AND my old diff (which only had a bad pinion bearing) at home if you wanted one.  

FWIW Todd's partner went under shortly after I got mine from him, so no longer a source. 

:lr:

2006 Discovery 3(Build Thread)

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Instagram: CondorDavis

23669857085_fe30f0934c.jpg

Volkov

Volkov

NCLR Vice President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Vallejo
  • KK6UUO
  • 2006 LR3
  • 1977 Land Rover 101FC

http://centuriondifferential.com/

Here is where I got my front, and they also installed an ARB in the replacement they sent me. They have an 18 month warranty to boot.

aebrownleeiv

aebrownleeiv

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • East Bay/WC
  • 2006 LR3 SE HD

Sorry, life (business actually, but that's life anymore isn't it?) got in the way and I forgot to update everyone. 

Had Jack and Peter put rebuilt front and rear's in during the first part of August, as I had a lot of miles I needed to put on. So far, everything has been fine with them although things are still noisier than I thought they would be. Then again, that could just be my tires. 

Thanks for the advice guys. I did regret not doing the job myself, but a blown seal on my left inner tie rod ended up getting me dirty in the middle of nowhere anyway. But, that got sorted with a rebuilt rack and new tie rod ends. 

Now, to just get someone to align it properly, and I'm set :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users