Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

It's About Time!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

TigerDan

TigerDan

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • North of the North Bay
  • KO1RVR
  • 1991 Range Rover
  • 1995 Defender 90
  • 1961 Series 2 88"
  • 1994 RRC SWB
  • 1994 RRC LWB

That's the plan!

And I tried to attach my test drive videos but the files are too big, it looks like we're limited to 64MB and the smallest of the videos is 66 MB, and they go up from there. So here are a few final pics instead. The first two are shortening the trumpets, I took off 5/8". The consensus seems to be to remove between 1/2" to 3/4" so I went with 5/8" Actually it was a hair more after finish trimming to get them all of equal length.

Attached Files

NCLR087

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR

Nice! Finally the cobbler gets to work on his own shoes for a change!

• AlysonH likes this
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Are you shortening the runners in hopes of improving low end performance?

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

TigerDan

TigerDan

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • North of the North Bay
  • KO1RVR
  • 1991 Range Rover
  • 1995 Defender 90
  • 1961 Series 2 88"
  • 1994 RRC SWB
  • 1994 RRC LWB

No. Shortening the intake tract generally loses bottom end and improves top end. But the tops of the trumpets sit very close to the top of the plenum and it sort of messes up airflow, so it's been found that shortening the trumpets a bit can improve throttle response and airflow without any noticeable loss off the bottom end. But if you shorten them too much, then bottom end will certainly suffer. I think there's also a spacer available to go between the plenum base and the intake manifold to gain back some intake tract length, and if made of phenolic resin it will also help insulate the plenum from heat.

And of course there are the full-on ACT carbon fiber intake trumpets:

Superflare-trumpets-640x480.jpg

Edited by TigerDan, 18 September 2017 - 09:08 PM.

NCLR087

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

No. Shortening the intake tract generally looses bottom end and improves top end. But the tops of the trumpets sit very close to the top of the plenum and it sort of messes up airflow, so it's been found that shortening the trumpets a bit can improve throttle response and airflow without any noticeable loss off the bottom end. But if you shorten them too much, then bottom end will certainly suffer. I think there's also a spacer available to go between the plenum base and the intake manifold to gain back some intake tract length, and if made of phenolic resin it will also help insulate the plenum from heat.

And of course there are the full-on ACT carbon fiber intake trumpets:

Or do a hybrid system using a D2 intake, which flows much better.

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

TigerDan

TigerDan

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • North of the North Bay
  • KO1RVR
  • 1991 Range Rover
  • 1995 Defender 90
  • 1961 Series 2 88"
  • 1994 RRC SWB
  • 1994 RRC LWB

Interesting you should mention that, as it's something I'm working on. I just wanted to get the new engine in first with everything still pretty much the same to get a baseline.I'll drive it like this for a while and take a little more time to work out a few details, but I've got it mostly figured out how I want to do it.

NCLR087

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Keep us posted.  I have a few various intakes sitting around that might just come in handy after all.  :)

I feel like my 4.6 is strangled at higher revs and load.  The exhaust sounds very 'weezy' with a 'rushing' sort of noise when pulling up a hill over 3000 rpm, so I suspect that the cats may be partially clogged or perhaps even the muffler, though it's a flowmaster so I don't really expect it to be a restriction.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

TigerDan

TigerDan

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • North of the North Bay
  • KO1RVR
  • 1991 Range Rover
  • 1995 Defender 90
  • 1961 Series 2 88"
  • 1994 RRC SWB
  • 1994 RRC LWB

I've had plugged cats make a whooshing sound at higher revs like you describe (not on a Rover, but on other vehicles) accompanied by loss of power, so you might be on the right track. And no, I wouldn't expect a Flowmaster to become plugged like that.

NCLR087

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users