Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

steering tweek

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Last weekend I got sloppy (talking on the radio and looking in my mirror instead of where I was going) and hit a pretty good rock with the passenger front tire.  After this, I noticed the steering wheel was now about 1/8th turn off center.

I assumed I had bent the drag link bar from the pitman arm to the knuckle, or maybe the bolts at either end where it's attached, but none of these areas appear damaged and frankly I'd be surprised if they were given the materials they are built from vs how hard the hit was.

There is no difference in the way the truck drives so the tie rod (alignment) isn't likely affected.  But something changed or the wheel would still be straight.

I'm stumped - I don't think the steering box is damaged as it feels fine going down the road/trail.  Is it possible I've jumped a spline on the input U-joint?  Again, I wouldn't expect that give the hydro assist on this rig.

Any other thoughts?

Attached Files

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER

Probably something to do with all the heim shite you have on there! :P

doubt you skipped a tooth on the box as the drop arm would literally need to be totally loose to do that.

PITA to get that wheel straight without removing it and doing it the correct way @ the rod ends... I just did it this weekend & still not right :unsure:   goes down the rd nice though now

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I can always take it apart and adjust the rod; at least I hope so as there's not a lot of adjustment left in it.  But that doesn't tell me what changed to necessitate the adjustment as she used to roll down the road with the wheel straight ahead.  I'd like to figure out the 'why' before just changing things.

Don

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Probably something to do with all the heim shite you have on there! :P

doubt you skipped a tooth on the box as the drop arm would literally need to be totally loose to do that.

Don,

Did you remove the two rose joints (aka Heim shite) and check whether that overly burdened pin is bent?

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Don,

Did you remove the two rose joints (aka Heim shite) and check whether that overly burdened pin is bent?

Regards,

Graeme

Not yet, but it certainly doesn't look bent.

I ordered some safety washers for the single sheer heims and figured I'd pull it apart at that time.

• lutz likes this

Don

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Not yet, but it certainly doesn't look bent.

I ordered some safety washers for the single sheer heims and figured I'd pull it apart at that time.

Don,

It would only need to be a tiny amount, about 1/16" from top to bottom from what you described.  I expect if you lay it on a flat plate to check, it will be slightly curved.

Graeme

Edited by GraemeWare, 18 July 2017 - 07:07 PM.

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Now you've got me curious.  I'll take it apart soon enough.

Don

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER

On another note Don I need to copy your Ram steering setup for my 94 LWB crawler... is it a Todco setup?

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

PSC ram to a P38 (?) pump.  Not perfect - seems to have enough pressure but not enough volume as fast turns like a parking lot will cause it to lag and get heavy.

• lutz likes this

Don

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery

On another note Don I need to copy your Ram steering setup for my 94 LWB crawler... is it a Todco setup?

Do you know if he's still in business? Website is static and so it's hard to know.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Do you know if he's still in business? Website is static and so it's hard to know.

Or go for a Gwyn Lewis set-up.  I hear RoverWare.US are a distributor for them ....

Graeme

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery

Or go for a Gwyn Lewis set-up. I hear RoverWare.US are a distributor for them ....

Graeme

Do you have a link?

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Do you have a link?

No, I don't, but it looks like this.  No stock at present though.

hydro-assist-kit-glhak-gwyn-lewis-4x4-01

Graeme

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery

No, I don't, but it looks like this. No stock at present though.
hydro-assist-kit-glhak-gwyn-lewis-4x4-01
Graeme

Okay, okay...I'm interested!

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
Graeme. Don't see it on the site. Price?
  • Jethro likes this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Steering update:

I decided I'd have the alignment checked.  I noticed it had a *very* slight pull to the right, which would fit with the steering wheel now being about 1/8th turn to the left.  The pull was so little though that it could have been there before and I just didn't notice it.  Or just the crown of the road, etc.  Hard to say.

It came back with toe out (I forgot to write down the spec) which I found odd.  Most vehicles are set up with a bit of toe in stock as it aids stability on the highway.  The only time I've used toe out was for an autocross car that I intentionally wanted to be 'darty'.  It wasn't much but I had them re-adjust it to be just slightly toe-in.

The bad part is the rear also had toe-out.  This should of course be 0 and being a solid axle it means there's some bend in the housing.  There's not really a fix for this other than replacing it.  I have a spare, so maybe I'll swap it over someday.

The current specs are front left -.01*; front right -.03*; total -.05* toe in

Rear left is -.13*; right -.25*, total of -.39*  toe out.  This explains why the truck feels a little unstable on the highway.  

After the adjustments (which were so small they didn't charge me for - thanks Mario at Les Scwab, former D2 owner) the steering is almost back to straight.  It's still a few degrees to the left but not enough I'm going to mess with it.  The rear axle could easily be accounting for this.

• Jethro likes this

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users