Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Tire size that can fit under the LR4

- - - - - Tires wheels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

jlmoped

jlmoped

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • San Jose, CA
  • KI6AWY

I have Nitto Terra Grappler G2 285/50R20 on a 2013 LR4 and the front driver tire has some rubbing issues., plus it won't fit in the spare tire wheel well under the truck.  So I am looking to replace them, but what size will fit in the spare wheel well?  Ideally I want to keep the spare tire fully inflated, but if that's not possible, deflating it is an option.  My options/questions are:

1. 5x Nitto Terra Grappler G2 265/50R20 on stock wheels

2. 5x BFG All-Terrain KO2 265/60R18 on Compomotive PD1881

3. Any other good on/off road tire in 255/50R20?

Of course KO2 on Compomotive is a very good option, but that's about $3000.  Downside to 265/50R20 is cheaper ($1200), but has less sidewall.  Will either of these option fit under the LR4?  I do mostly highway road trips with some off-road.  Is switching to 18" worth it for my use?

Thanks,

Julian

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Secretary

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
  • 2012 Range Rover (work)
All the LR4s that I've seen that wheel their trucks, put the spare on the roof or a rear bumper tire mount. Also if you keep one deflated in the spare tire under car thing, you'll need to make sure you have air to inflate it should you need it.

TD1

TD1

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • SF
  • 2016 LR4

I personally don't like 20s on a truck and think 18s have a nicer ride. 

When i was doing my tire shopping for my LR4, I went with a 265/60/18 KO2 on compomotives specifically because it can fit under the truck fully inflated. 265/65/18s will have to be partially deflated to fit along with some muscling in there.

Tai

2016 LR4 Base/HD

2017 Husqvarna 701sm

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

I have Cooper Discoverer AT/3 in 275/65/18 and while I can't put a spare under the car, I do put mine on a custom tire carrier swing away and I have very little rubbing if any.  I did in the beginning, but only slightly, now I can't hear it. 

I love the Coopers, but am looking at a Falken the next time around (hopefully this month as I'm looking for new tire for the Rebelle Rally.)  Not sure if I should go one size down or keep the same size.  They are little more aggressive looking (knobby), but came highly recommended. 

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

jlmoped

jlmoped

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • San Jose, CA
  • KI6AWY

Hi All,

I have started the same thread in the Tech Talk section a while back.  Thank your for your inputs here, please continue to comment on the same thread over there.

-Julian

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

This thread is now closed, so any additional comments please post in the tech section.  Thanks.

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tires, wheels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users