Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Tire size that can fit under LR4

- - - - - tires wheels

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

jlmoped

jlmoped

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • San Jose, CA
  • KI6AWY
  • 2013 LR4
I posted this in the wrong section, so re-posting it here.

I have Nitto Terra Grappler G2 285/50R20 on a 2013 LR4 and the front driver tire has some rubbing issues., plus it won't fit in the spare tire wheel well under the truck.  So I am looking to replace them, but what size will fit in the spare wheel well?  Ideally I want to keep the spare tire fully inflated, but if that's not possible, deflating it is an option.  My options/questions are:

1. 5x Nitto Terra Grappler G2 265/50R20 on stock wheels
2. 5x BFG All-Terrain KO2 265/60R18 on Compomotive PD1881
3. Any other good on/off road tire in 255/50R20?

Of course KO2 on Compomotive is a very good option, but that's about $3000.  Downside to 265/50R20 is cheaper ($1200), but has less sidewall.  Will either of these option fit under the LR4?  I do mostly highway road trips with some off-road.  Is switching to 18" worth it for my use?

Thanks,
Julian

Julian

'13 LR4 - with some extra stuff

KI6AWY

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

For your intended application, mostly road and some moderate off-road, I don't see the need to go to an 18" wheel.  The Nitto tire you're running does quite well on the LR4 in 20" in a dual-purpose roll.

The question is what size will fit in the stock tire well.  I believe you can get a 31", maybe a 31.5" tire in there.  285/50-20 works out mathematically like this:

285mm/25.4=11.22"

11.22" * 50%=5.61"

20" + 5.61" + 5.61" = 31.22" diameter

That number however must be taken with a grain of salt as not all tire manufacturers are super-accurate in their stated measurements and simply mounting a given tire on a different width wheel will make a difference.

Note however that size is very close to the numbers I've suggested above.  Have you actually tried to fit one of your tires into the spare well?  That would be my first step.  You may be doing the exercise for nothing!  I have to admit here I haven't tried to fit a bigger tire into the well myself as I went from stock to a 32.5" tire and new it wouldn't fit so I never even bothered.  I did a swing-away and never looked back.

You can gain a few precious mm of clearance for the tire by removing the plastic heat exhaust shields at the forward part of the spare well.  They just bolt on and are easily removed.  That may be enough to allow you to get the tire you have now in which would save you a considerable amount of effort and money.

Regarding the rubbing, I didn't see much sign of rubbing when you were out last weekend.  We did double check the wiring and make sure it was safely out of the way so that's not a worry.  There was a tiny rub mark on the frame horns but nothing I'd be concerned about.  That was very minor and should only occur when you are at a specific steering angle, not when you are just driving down the road.  Is there another rub point?  Perhaps you're catching the inner fender or something else?  If so, that can usually be trimmed back to allow clearance.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

jlmoped

jlmoped

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • San Jose, CA
  • KI6AWY
  • 2013 LR4

Hi Don,

Besides the frame horns and the wiring harness that you've fixed, there is no other rubbing.  I just worry while off roading with more suspension travel, it may still rub the wiring harness.  I did try to fit the full size tire into the spare well, even fully deflated it didn't fit.  Bottom line, my basic requirement is get a full size spare.  Getting a metal bumper and mounting the spare on the bumper is nice, but not willing to spend that money at this point.

My Nitto 285/50R20 is about 31.5" tall.  It is hitting the front and back in the spare well.  It doesn't touch the plastic exhaust shields, so that isn't anything I can easily modify to make the spare fit.  

I think stock tire is about 30.1" tall.  265/60R18 is about 30.5" and 265/50R20 is about 30.4".  Will those sizes fit into the spare well?

Thanks,

Julian

Julian

KI6AWY

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I believe they will fit.  Best bet is to try to find somebody running that size currently for comparison.  

Calling Mr. Solis - are you out there?  I know Kylie has 20" wheels on her LR4; Nittos at that.  (I think)  What size are you running?

There are options to add a rear swing-out tire carrier without doing a full bumper, but for a daily driver it is inconvenient.  I doubt the wife would like it.  :)

On the other hand, if you do have a flat on the trail having the spare under the truck is pretty inconvenient too.  But then again it's not like she'd suffer that inconvenience - she'd make you get under there and change it!

BTW, should you go the route of wanting on-board air we can certainly set you up there.  Plenty of options from simple portable to built-in systems.  I've had/have both.

Don

jlmoped

jlmoped

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • San Jose, CA
  • KI6AWY
  • 2013 LR4

My LR4 is not a daily driver, so a (non-full bumper replacement) swing-out carrier is a possible option, but what's the cost and will it affect the rear parking sensors?

Julian

KI6AWY

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

It may indeed mess with the parking sensors.  

I forget who makes this piece; voyager?  You might check in with Chad (advrovr) as he's planning one for his newly acquired RRS, which shares a chassis with the LR3/4.

Don

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
Voyager does make a swingout for the 3/4 that works with stock bumper and is supposedly compatible with the parking sensors. I do plan to put a swing on the Sport, but I don't know yet if I'll try to adapt theirs or get something custom.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

jlmoped

jlmoped

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • San Jose, CA
  • KI6AWY
  • 2013 LR4

Thank you to all who has responded to my post and offered advise.  I ended up with a set of BFG T/A KO2 265/60R18 and it does fit in the spare wheel well inflated to 55psi.  I kept the pressure high since I will likely not get to it for a while and expect it to lose some air over time.  The KO2 is rated at 80psi, is there any issue running it at 45-55psi (for street use and as the spare)?

Thanks,

Julian

Julian

KI6AWY

TD1

TD1

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • SF
  • 2016 LR4

depends on load in the truck, temp, etc.

There's a 4psi rule that i've used and seems to work. When the tires are hot (i.e., 30 min or more of driving), the psi read should be no less than 4psi or no more. So if you drive for 30min to 1hour and your psi is difference is less than 4psi, you're over-inflated.

I've found that running 43-45psi all the way around in my LR4 seems to work nicely, and I adjust accordingly if i'm fully loaded for a trip with higher psi in the rear and have long highway stints ahead of me.

Tai

2016 LR4 Base/HD

2017 Husqvarna 701sm

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

The other old-school way of determining inflation pressures is to put a chalk mark across the tread of the tire, drive a bit, then see where the chalk has rubbed off the tread.  If it's only rubbed off the middle, you are over inflated.  If it's rubbed off the edges, under inflated.  You're trying to get an even wear across the face of the tread.

There are more sciencey methods though.

https://www.4wheelpa...re-checker.aspx

Don

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Is this a double thread?

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Is this a double thread?
Is this a double thread?

You're seeing double? I'd get that checked out ....

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

jlmoped

jlmoped

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • San Jose, CA
  • KI6AWY
  • 2013 LR4

Hi All,

Yes, we are seeing double.  I have started the same thread in the Offroad Mod section.  I don't know how to close that thread.  I have added a comment over there and direct people to this thread.  Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,

Julian

• erinw.rrc likes this

Julian

KI6AWY

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Not to worry, it's all good.

Not to worry, it's all good.

Don

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Hi All,

Yes, we are seeing double.  I have started the same thread in the Offroad Mod section.  I don't know how to close that thread.  I have added a comment over there and direct people to this thread.  Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,

Julian

No worries.  I closed the other thread.  Thanks.

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tires, wheels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users