Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

D1 relays

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,137 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

OK I says to myself, there must be a relay that controls the cig lighter on this truck.  I'd like my lighter to stay hot all the time for charging devices so I'll just jumper that relay.

Except I can't seem to find anything to tell me where that relay is!

So....anybody know which relay (and where...I suspect under the glove compartment or behind the passenger kick panel) powers the cig lighter on a D1?

This so sounds like a Graeme question....

• Jethro likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
Definitely like to know this as well, then Don you can teach me said electrical stuff...my coast guard training was in mechanical engineering which was really limited in electrical (since we had electricians and they really wanted to protect their trade) and weapons/explosives.

I'm getting to use the mechanical training alot these days which is great.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,137 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Well, worst case I'll just wire it direct to an auxiliary fuse block I've already installed.  But I figured if I can find the correct relay (there has to be a relay) it'll save me the effort.

Don

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

OK I says to myself, there must be a relay that controls the cig lighter on this truck.  I'd like my lighter to stay hot all the time for charging devices so I'll just jumper that relay.

Except I can't seem to find anything to tell me where that relay is!

So....anybody know which relay (and where...I suspect under the glove compartment or behind the passenger kick panel) powers the cig lighter on a D1?

This so sounds like a Graeme question....

Don,

You think there will be a relay just for that when they wired the oxygen sensor heaters and the fuel pump relay feeds together?

Well, the 60A MF5 fuse in the engine bay feeds accessory relay K174, which in turn feeds Fuse F6 and F3 in the fascia fuse box (P126).  F6 (20A) feeds the cigar lighter (yes, cigar, none of this cheap cigarette stuff!), instrument cluster, clock (I expect the light for it), the interior lights, power seat relay feed (if used), vanity mirror, and probably a whole lot more.

Pull the wires and run a new feed ....

Regards,

Graeme

• dcproven likes this

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,137 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I wondered about that.  I see fuse F6, 20A, feeds the lighter directly.  That means there has to be a switched supply to F6.  But they could also feed other fuses through that switched supply as well and apparently they've done just that.   FWIW, they got it down to a single circut on the relay by the LR3 as I was able to just jumper a specific relay to make the lighter hot full time.

The real bummer is I had the console out today doing other work and didn't think about this at that time.  Now I'll have to pull it back apart and run another wire from the engine compartment. 

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users