Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

95 D1 center diff lock linkage

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

girlrvr

girlrvr

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • SF
  • KM6KGB
  • 1995 D1 (current)
  • 2000 D2 (previous)

hi ... ok so my CDL is having some issues, i think.

1) light stays on whether lever is in/out of CDL

2) when in high or low range, when i push the lever to the left, there is zero resistance, engagement. presumably this is not good.

talked to the guys at euroland on bayshore and they said to look at the linkages - above/external to transfer case.

i got a cool endoscope thingy that will do the trick.

however, i have zero idea what i am supposed to be looking at and i can't find any drawing/figures in the workshop manual.

any thoughts/ideas/info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

++++++++++++

jeanne

current source of joy/misery: '95 D1

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
So mine stays on until I back up like 15 ft or so then it comes off.

Mine also has little resistance until it engages then it's difficult to lock fully in place.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

on both of mine there is no resistance when going to lock, I hold the lever there and usually move about 10-20 feet in either forward or reverse and the diff light comes on and I am locked. 

:lr:

2006 Discovery 3(Build Thread)

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Instagram: CondorDavis

23669857085_fe30f0934c.jpg

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

I think it could be a stuck light. If the light is still stuck on since the trip... you can try driving backwards for a little bit if that helps. But, that typically is caused by driving on pavement with diff locked and you have a transmission wind up. And I don't think we did that on the trek. 

In my truck, getting from lock to unlock, then high to low can take a bit of force (vice versa) - I'm not sure if things are gunked up. 

Once the truck warms up (driving for a bit), shifting the CDL gets easier. I think it has to do with the viscosity of fluid when cold vs warm. 

You can follow this to check the diff lock function.. 

http://www.defenders...#post1919112274

"The actual diff lock mechanism inside the transfercase is pretty robust. The switch for the light is actuated off of the shift fork inside the t-box. it is a spring loaded mechanism, so you can throw the lever and if the teeth arent lined up, the mechanism will spring load and then drop in when the teeth do line up. The light will come on at that point. Same thing when you disengage it. The mechanism will spring load if there is any driveline wind up holding it in place and then release as soon as it can. So the light activation and deactivation is not always immediate when moving the lever. If your light is flickering at random when engaged I would be looking for dirty switch contacts or maybe a bad bulb or a loose electrical connection. You can test diff lock operation by applying the park brake and leaving the transmission in neutral and jacking up one front wheel. With the diff lock disengaged you will be able to turn the wheel, with it engaged you will not be able to turn the wheel. You can call me at the shop later if you need more specific details.

• RedRover likes this
Chris

girlrvr

girlrvr

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • SF
  • KM6KGB
  • 1995 D1 (current)
  • 2000 D2 (previous)

yup - know that there can be a lag for the light to turn off ... currently, the light is one all the time ... since day 2 or 3 of the sierra trek trip.

and, today, i tried driving in reverse for a bit and the light is still on.

moving to low/high range isn't the problem - def feel that happening - it's more that there is no *feeling of engagement moving to center diff lock (moving lever to the left) in both/either low and high range 

i don't think the CDL is engaged ... since i drove back from the trip without problems (well, not *this problem). may try to jack up the wheels ... need to find flat surface - my spot in the garage is very not flat :-) ah, the joys of living in SF ... 

• RedRover likes this

++++++++++++

jeanne

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

Slowly drive in the tightest circle the steering allows and feel/listen for the tires scrubbing against the pavement. You can also feel a slight lurching as well. This is the transmission windup Chris is referring to. If you experience these, chances are good your t-case is locked.

Shift linkage looks like this, mounted on the transfer case.

d1cdl21.jpg

The CDL guts are right above and behind the front output of the t-case. Shown here.

16671d1371100494-got-my-04-cdl-shifter-b

Edited by Disco2Guy, 22 August 2017 - 09:23 PM.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Assuming the truck isn't hot from driving it is possible to reach up from underneath and get to the linkage.  I'm betting it's not actually engaged though or you'd have felt it on all the pavement driving going home.  I can feel my D1 CDL even on hard dirt sometimes. 

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
What don said. Your light is controlled by a switch that threads into the top of the transfer case near the connection from the linkage to the input shaft. It's basically a little ball bearing that gets pushed up to close the switch and illuminate the light. It's possible that the little ball is stuck. It is also possible that your linkage has come disconnected since you feel no resistance at all. There are a couple of spots in the linkage where this could happen. See Brenton's pictures above. If it is in fact disconnected somehow your cdl selector may not be fully in the unlocked position. Which would explain the loose locking handle and the iluminated light. Best is to crawl under with a flash light and stick you hand up above where the front drive shaft exits the transfer case and feel around. From there you should be able to tell if the linkage is disconnected or not. It shouldn't take but a few minutes to figure out if you have a linkage issue. Also drive in a tight circle as Brenton suggested. You should be able to easily identify if your diff is actually locked. Be careful not to drive in too many tight circles as you will be putting plenty of stress on your drive train and don't want to break anything.

If your linkage looks good and it's not locked then you may have a slightly more complicated issue but let's cross that bridge when and if we have too
  • Disco2Guy likes this

girlrvr

girlrvr

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • SF
  • KM6KGB
  • 1995 D1 (current)
  • 2000 D2 (previous)

oh christ ... really ???  ... here we go ... more fun with my discovery ... :-( .... :-)

ok so ... currently, when i turn fairly tight around the city (in/out of parking spaces etc), i feel my diff lock up. and tires do make a squeaking sound sometimes on the pavement. i have been pretty gentle with it when it happens. cars around me aren't too happy when it make my 5-point turn in crowded sf. hahaha

i thought it was my truetrac in the rear just being new and also getting used to new gear oil (fwiw, incidentally, the truetrac did not like the first batch of synthetic oil put in when installed and when i swapped it out for real gear oil *most of the clunking went away. except for what was mentioned just above. thought i'd drive it a bit more to see if it worked itself out ... but it appears that it's an entirely different issue ...)

so this means, likely then, that my t-case is locked? (insert massive amounts of sadness here. presumably this is a big problem, right?)

i will have a poke around tomorrow night and see what i can see/feel regarding the ball bearing and the linkage. as it stands, the disco is back in the shop with the *other rear axle leak - we did both fronts and one rear hubs/axles with new bearings and seals thinking the fourth looked fine. and it friggin figures that the fourth would go just after. (insert more sadness here) 

thanks, guys!

++++++++++++

jeanne

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

FWIW, it should be a fairly easy thing for the shop to reach up there and disengage the CDL even if the linkage is broken.  At a minimum that will get you back on the road.  They can likely fix your linkage as well if that is indeed the problem as it's not too complicated. 

• girlrvr likes this

Don

girlrvr

girlrvr

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • SF
  • KM6KGB
  • 1995 D1 (current)
  • 2000 D2 (previous)

ok ... so had a look and a feel around the top the transfer case.

linkage looks linked - all parts attached (that was what i was looking for, yes?)

however, i can't find the ball bearing thing.

i found the breather hose and two electrical things ... but can't figure anything else out ... for now ..

++++++++++++

jeanne

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

The ball bearing thing that turns on/off the light is internal so you wouldn't be able see/feel it.

If the linkage is moving the lever you should be engaging/disengaging the CDL regardless of what the light is doing.  Otherwise you've broken something internal which is far less likely.  It's usually down to the linkage having some play and not fully moving the shift lever.  I think you can get on it with an 11mm wrench to see if there's any extra travel.

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users