Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Tire damage question

- - - - - BFG KO2

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

jlmoped

jlmoped

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • San Jose, CA
  • KI6AWY

I was up in Madras, Oregon watching the solar eclipse on Monday.  On the way back the traffic was extremely bad, so I took Google's suggestion and went on the detour.  I eventually ended up on a forest road.  The LR4 handled it with no problem at all, but afterwards I noticed my driver's front tire (BFG T/A KO2) has a small cut on the sidewall.  After the trip I took it to America's Tire to let them check it out.  They said the cut only went through the first of the 3 plys, it didn't expose the core and not sign of ballooning.  So it is still same and didn't recommend placement.  The tires only has 1500 miles on it.  I have the certificate (warranty) on the tire, so if I replace it, will cost me $40 to purchase a new certificate.

Do you think the tire is still safe to use?  For $40, should I replace it?

Photo of the tire: https://drive.google...SUJ1WWxmeld0a0k

Thanks,

Julian

Attached Files

• Attached File  tire.jpg   118.78KB   10 downloads

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
Just my thoughts, safe to use but for $40 saves you the peace of mind...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
  • AlysonH likes this

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

$40 is nothing for peace of mind. Only question I have is how bad is it again to have 1 new tire and 3 old-ish ones on these cars with regards to diff, t-case? Used to be the old bogeyman the forums would talk about. 

Edited by DiscoDavis, 23 August 2017 - 10:46 AM.

:lr:

2006 Discovery 3(Build Thread)

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Instagram: CondorDavis

23669857085_fe30f0934c.jpg

jlmoped

jlmoped

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • San Jose, CA
  • KI6AWY

The set of tires has only 1500 miles on them, does that low miles cause enough wear to make a difference on the differential?

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

I would get it replaced for the peace of mind. At 1500 miles, I wouldn't worry about the diameter difference. If you had a measurable difference, I'd be concerned, but many tire shops can actually shave your tire down to match diameter. 

• AlysonH likes this

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

Gotrovr

Gotrovr

Rover

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Can't remember the page in the book of Murphy's Laws that covers this but I swear it's in there.

• Jethro and DiscoDavis like this

Will

'05 LR3 HSE "Donkey"

'16 LR4 HSE  "Perseus"

Building a life journey one puzzle piece at a time

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I would get it replaced for the peace of mind. At 1500 miles, I wouldn't worry about the diameter difference. If you had a measurable difference, I'd be concerned, but many tire shops can actually shave your tire down to match diameter. 

This

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

On the other hand, I'm now debating on if I should replace the STT Pros on my LR3.  They show significant chunking of the tread and one complete treadblock tore off on the Sierra run - and that was simple backroad driving!  

I stopped by America's Tire and they said they'd replace them but it's pro-rated as the tires are couple years old.  The catch is they want full retail on the replacement tires @ $359 ea.  With a credit of $128 ea for the old tires that still comes to $1380 with mount/balance.  Yikes.

They did mention a new Yokohama, the Geolander M/T G003 that would come in cheaper at $885  It's so new though I don't have any info on it.  It does spec out a tiny bit smaller than the Coopers I have on now for the same 275/70-18 E, but within .25" dia and .1" width

Not sure if it's worth it or not - there's still a lot of tread depth on the tires I have, but they certainly are showing damage.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Secretary

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
  • 2012 Range Rover (work)
The best part about this story is you were able to avoid sitting in traffic and you probably had a more scenic route. Thanks again Land Rover.
  • RedRover likes this

jlmoped

jlmoped

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • San Jose, CA
  • KI6AWY

Hi Alyson,

Yes, the normally 5.5 hours trip took me 14.5 hours.  The off road detour saved us 2.5 hours.  The cost was a lot of pinstripes on the truck and a couple of very deep ones down to the white based coat.  My brother stayed on the main highway and then stuck on a road maintenance.  It took him 20.5 hours to reach the same destination.

Now my LR4 is at LR of San Jose for some minor repairs (unrelated to the trip).  They will keep the truck till next Wednesday.  They are slow!  Normally they provide a Enterprise rental, after I complained, they gave me an EnVogue since they are keeping my LR4 for a whole week.  So far I am not liking the EnVogue.  I feel like the roof collapsed by 12 inches.

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Now my LR4 is at LR of San Jose for some minor repairs (unrelated to the trip).  They will keep the truck till next Wednesday.  They are slow!  Normally they provide a Enterprise rental, after I complained, they gave me an EnVogue since they are keeping my LR4 for a whole week.  So far I am not liking the EnVogue.  I feel like the roof collapsed by 12 inches.

Sorry to hear that.

Ya, LRSJ's loaner policy needs a revamp.  They used to keep decent loaners on hand (LR4s, LR2s) at the old place but the past few times I've gone for service there they are out of loaners and shuttle me over to Hertz to pick something up.  One time I did get an Evoque as a loaner and was NOT a fan.  It had a puny 4-cylinder and I couldn't see out of the back.

• Jethro likes this

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Secretary

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
  • 2012 Range Rover (work)
You should really try Exclusive British European in Campbell. I saved over $2,000 on some work LRSJ quoted me for my work rover.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users