Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Antennas ... always with the antennas!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Oh man, not another antenna thread!

Buckle up...here we go.

After seeing the performance of the 1/4 wave generic antenna mounted to the top of my cage on the D1, I've come to be dissatisfied with the 5/8 wave tri-band Diamond on my LR3.

It's currently mounted at the base of the driver's A pillar and I believe it's time to go ahead and mount it to the roof.  Looking at my rack, I think I can weld in a piece of sheet and mount it front/center.

One problem - it needs to be a tri-band antenna, not just a little 1/4 wave 2m like the D1 has.  (Yasue FT8800)  That means it's going to stick WAAAY up there and I'll tear it off on the first low hanging branch.

Unless maybe I spring mount it... :)

Any recommendations for a good spring-mounted antenna?  Can I just add a spring to an existing NMO mounted antenna base?  Enquiring minds want to know...

• Justin and RedRover like this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

I don't have a good recommendation for a spring-mount antenna that will cover the three bands you mention (doesn't mean that it doesn't exist though...)

Now the other idea you have of a spring NMO adapter sounds like something I would totally like to have.  Yet I've never seen it... I have seen a UHF / SO-239 type (the ones used on FireStiks.)

The only thing I'd mention in doing something like a spring adapter -- you're likely changing the SWR profile of the antenna by physically lengthening it so you may need to retune the sections individually.  Of course you have a great antenna analyzer that can cover all manner of frequencies in your possession... so there's that...   :huh:  B) (see you [and the analyzer] at the MORG... I've got a return gift for you as well <cue mystery music>)...

Another less popular idea is the motor-mounts that have a switch in the truck to flip them up and down on command.  Great if you remember to flip it down before that branch is coming in quick... otherwise another expensive and possibly damaged toy.  I say toy because of the two I've seen taken apart, they contain plastic gears in a plastic housing.

• AdvRovr likes this

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Of course you have a great antenna analyzer that can cover all manner of frequencies in your possession... so there's that... :huh: B) .

Well played, sir.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Not a fan of the motorized mount.  More complicated, more expensive, another switch to install, and more likely I'll forget about it and break it anyway.

The truth is I only use 2m anyway.  I could just put a spring mount 2m on but that seems wrong.

Don

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Not a fan of the motorized mount.  More complicated, more expensive, another switch to install, and more likely I'll forget about it and break it anyway.

The truth is I only use 2m anyway.  I could just put a spring mount 2m on but that seems wrong.

If you don't mind looking like a lunatic, you *COULD* install three separate monoband antennas, each tuned for the desired frequencies and feed them into a triplexer...

I don't recommend it.

Jared (KJ6MQI)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

If you don't mind looking like a lunatic, you *COULD* install three separate monoband antennas, each tuned for the desired frequencies and feed them into a triplexer...

I don't recommend it.

Nah....that sounds like the sort of thing somebody who has their call sign for their licence plate would do.  I wouldn't want to be *that* guy.

• AdvRovr likes this

Don

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Nah....that sounds like the sort of thing somebody who has their call sign for their licence plate would do.  I wouldn't want to be *that* guy.

I hear ya... can't stand THOSE guys...

Attached File  IMG_0592.jpg   244.22KB   8 downloads

Jared (KJ6MQI)

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

What is the third band? You could go with a shorty two-band for 2m/70cm if you don't need the third. My Comet is a short rubber-flexy-majigger, and it was one of several short flexy options that covered 2m and 70cm.

2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

What is the third band? You could go with a shorty two-band for 2m/70cm if you don't need the third. My Comet is a short rubber-flexy-majigger, and it was one of several short flexy options that covered 2m and 70cm.

Usually they throw in 6 meter as a third band, but I'm not certain on the FT-8800.

I'm sure Don is just sitting there, every night at the campsite, hoping to contact someone on the FM-modulated "Magic Band".... *cough*

Jared (KJ6MQI)

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

I'm sure Don is just sitting there, every night at the campsite, hoping to contact someone on the FM-modulated "Magic Band".... *cough*

f3b0f0b569a57d902ddf8a92acf1ead9.gif

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
  • RedRover likes this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Yeah...I have one radio that has all the bells and whistles and I never use them, then on the next I went totally the opposite and got 0 bells and whistles.

I guess by the time I buy a 3rd radio I'll hit the Goldilocks sweet-spot.

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users