Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LR4 Tire Carrier Options

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

TD1

TD1

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • SF
  • 2016 LR4

Well- after getting my front runner drawer system installed, I realized how much of a PITA it will be to have to get to the spare out. It is also a convenient excuse to finally get that tire swing out... I've always wanted a bumper w/ a swing out tire carrier, but the idea of sensor non-compatibility annoys me a lot for some reason (even though camera functionality is probably more important and I can disable it with ID tool).

Right now it seems like I have three options:

• Front Runner Tire Swing out
  • Voyager Tire Swing out
  • Custom Fab

Currently, I am most interested in the voyager setup as it seems to be the least obstructive as it relates to sensors and cameras, etc (but not guaranteed). Does anyone in the club have this swing out or have seen it in person?

Tai

2016 LR4 Base/HD

2017 Husqvarna 701sm

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
So.... I am talking to Trail Tailor (who just joined the forum and is moving his shop from WY to CA) about a swingout for the Sport that is compatible with stock rear bumper. It wouldn't surprise me if they are the same/very similar mounting. I'll let him know you might be interested in the same.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery

Well- after getting my front runner drawer system installed, I realized how much of a PITA it will be to have to get to the spare out. It is also a convenient excuse to finally get that tire swing out... I've always wanted a bumper w/ a swing out tire carrier, but the idea of sensor non-compatibility annoys me a lot for some reason (even though camera functionality is probably more important and I can disable it with ID tool).

Right now it seems like I have three options:

• Front Runner Tire Swing out
  • Voyager Tire Swing out
  • Custom Fab

Currently, I am most interested in the voyager setup as it seems to be the least obstructive as it relates to sensors and cameras, etc (but not guaranteed). Does anyone in the club have this swing out or have seen it in person?
David W had the Voyager swing out and his comment was it rattled too much.

A couple people have the kaymar bumpers with swings and like them. I've also talked to a few people who have tactical Rovers and were also happy.

Tactical Rovers is probably who I would go with for a whole bumper.

I'd also be interested in just a swing but the front runner one is over a 1k shipped...seems a bit excessive.

Maybe there is a way to build one with a fabricator and then do as a template...heck could even sell them. Seems like there is margin there...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

TD1

TD1

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • SF
  • 2016 LR4

Thanks for the replies thus far- custom fab could be the way to go here. A full Kaymar/tactical bumper would be cool, but i'm really trying to shave weight here and I don't really push the LR4 enough to need a steel bumper (probably famous last words). Also, it seems like each one of those solutions comes with its own pro/cons.

I really like the look of this guy's swing out, (especially regarding location, height, etc.). That said, a better latch mechanism would be preferred.

http://forum.expedit...pose-duty/page9

Edited by TD1, 06 September 2017 - 04:39 PM.

Tai

2016 LR4 Base/HD

2017 Husqvarna 701sm

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery

Thanks for the replies thus far- custom fab could be the way to go here. A full Kaymar/tactical bumper would be cool, but i'm really trying to shave weight here and I don't really push the LR4 enough to need a steel bumper (probably famous last words). Also, it seems like each one of those solutions comes with its own pro/cons.

I really like the look of this guy's swing out, (especially regarding location, height, etc.). That said, a better latch mechanism would be preferred.

http://forum.expedit...pose-duty/page9

Decent setup, the whole seems a little bigger than necessary where the spindle is. But seems like if you can mass produce for less than $500 there's a market for them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Trail Tailor

Trail Tailor

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Redding, CA
  • 97 D1

Once I get my LR3, I will offer full bumpers and also an "add an arm" version for guys that want to keep the stock bumper cover. Probably offer in a DIY kit and full assembled.

Have a client in Reno with a LR4 that will be getting full custom armor and rack. Just need to get there and get some time in.

I have one of the moderators from LRF.com that wants one as well.

Jason

Edited by Trail Tailor, 06 September 2017 - 09:27 PM.

• Jethro likes this

Jason

66052.jpg?1477718151

Custom Fabrication, Tough Dog Suspensions, ComeUp Winches, Rigid Industries and Baja Designs LEDs.

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

Tactical rovers ones are excellent. Great plate thickness for its weight. Fitment is good, some take a bit of trimming around the hitch area.  The swingout pivot is well thought out. 

• Jethro and TD1 like this

:lr:

2006 Discovery 3(Build Thread)

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Instagram: CondorDavis

23669857085_fe30f0934c.jpg

TD1

TD1

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • SF
  • 2016 LR4

Once I get my LR3, I will offer full bumpers and also an "add an arm" version for guys that want to keep the stock bumper cover. Probably offer in a DIY kit and full assembled.

Have a client in Reno with a LR4 that will be getting full custom armor and rack. Just need to get there and get some time in.

I have one of the moderators from LRF.com that wants one as well.

Jason

I am definitely in no rush, so will be curious to see what becomes of this. Thanks

Tai

2016 LR4 Base/HD

2017 Husqvarna 701sm

TD1

TD1

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • SF
  • 2016 LR4

this seems an interesting band-aid solution too. not sure how good it is, but seems ok if you're not getting into too serious stuff.

https://adventure-re...chgate-classic/

Tai

2016 LR4 Base/HD

2017 Husqvarna 701sm

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

The Hitchgate could be a workable option on the earlier Rovers that had fixed hitches. For the LR3 and beyond with the stupid removable things, I don't see it as a viable option: 

1. The removable hitch receivers absolutely kill your departure angles (cut roughly in half), leading to #2:
  2. They are too fragile, and if you go dragging one across rocks you're just asking to damage the lock or the pin or start hairline fractures in the cast metal itself, leading to #3:
  3. They are expensive as hell to replace, and if driving with one showing even the slightest hint of damage is dangerous given the potential impact of losing a trailer or even just losing the Hitchgate as you're going down the road. Even if it doesn't hurt you, the liability there is extraordinary. 

• TD1 likes this

2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,883 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I haven't looked closely at it, but typically the fitment to a receiver hitch is pretty loose.  Example - every try a hitch mount bicycle carrier?  Notice how much it wobbles around?  Now hang a couple hundred pounds back there and see how much it wobbles...

You can use pinch bolts and other solutions to try to combat this but I've never seen a hitch-mounted-anything that was really secure.

While I doubt it would fall off, it would annoy the heck out of me to see it wobbling around back there.

• Phil. and TD1 like this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

TD1

TD1

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • SF
  • 2016 LR4

yes these are all fair points.

Tai

2016 LR4 Base/HD

2017 Husqvarna 701sm

Trail Tailor

Trail Tailor

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Redding, CA
  • 97 D1

The Wilco arms are a pretty decent product for what they are designed for, but would classify them for offroad use. I've seen several on rigs where guys don't have the cash for a built bumper. As stated above they do rattle and move around quite a bit. So, in all reality, the longevity may be reduced, especially if used offroad on a normal basis.

I build a style of receiver into some of my ladders and swing arms and use a 1/2" set bolt to reduce movement in the attachments. It helps greatly, but offroad the attachments still move slightly.

J

Attached File  20170716_185045.jpg   134.39KB   8 downloads

Jason

66052.jpg?1477718151

Custom Fabrication, Tough Dog Suspensions, ComeUp Winches, Rigid Industries and Baja Designs LEDs.

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
I've read some blog reviews on them and seems like they do well for over landing where the tire is accessible but you are not permanently living with the tire rack.

Did seem like they didn't do anything beyond fire roads with them...

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,883 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

The Wilco arms are a pretty decent product for what they are designed for, but would classify them for offroad use. I've seen several on rigs where guys don't have the cash for a built bumper. As stated above they do rattle and move around quite a bit. So, in all reality, the longevity may be reduced, especially if used offroad on a normal basis.

I build a style of receiver into some of my ladders and swing arms and use a 1/2" set bolt to reduce movement in the attachments. It helps greatly, but offroad the attachments still move slightly.

J

attachicon.gif20170716_185045.jpg

I really like your idea of using a receiver in the build to allow swapping different carriers - jerry cans (1, 2, 3), tire, cooler, etc.  And using pinch bolts certainly helps reduce the sway.  Looking forward to seeing some of your builds when you get established out here.

• AdvRovr likes this

Don

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

That is a really cool idea.... Definitely want to incorporate that into the one on mine. I'd love to be able to swap out add-ons for different uses and have them off completely for daily driving.

Also, this is the setup our bike carrier uses. The step on the bolt fits through the receiver hitch opening but not the bike carrier, acting like a set bolt and hitch pin at the same time. Not sure how movement compares to the hitch pin + set bolt arrangement, but the carrier stays pretty solid.

71be29efe2eb616e551b557281f55193.jpg

Trail Tailor

Trail Tailor

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Redding, CA
  • 97 D1

I really like your idea of using a receiver in the build to allow swapping different carriers - jerry cans (1, 2, 3), tire, cooler, etc.  And using pinch bolts certainly helps reduce the sway.  Looking forward to seeing some of your builds when you get established out here.

That is a really cool idea.... Definitely want to incorporate that into the one on mine. I'd love to be able to swap out add-ons for different uses and have them off completely for daily driving.

Also, this is the setup our bike carrier uses. The step on the bolt fits through the receiver hitch opening but not the bike carrier, acting like a set bolt and hitch pin at the same time. Not sure how movement compares to the hitch pin + set bolt arrangement, but the carrier stays pretty solid.

71be29efe2eb616e551b557281f55193.jpg

I've built all kinds of attachments for the guys. BBQ,snowblower platforms, 4 can/tool boxes,  bike repair mount, ladder w/ 2 receivers, swing away bike carrier, etc..

I have a rear bumper that the swing arms are completely removable. No spindles sticking out of the bumper, just a clean appearance.  I like building the stuff someone dreams up, but everyone says it can't be built....

Attached Files

Jason

66052.jpg?1477718151

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,883 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

...chain saw scabbard

Don

Trail Tailor

Trail Tailor

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Redding, CA
  • 97 D1

...chain saw scabbard

Just a Harlen cover than I attached to a ladder one time. I've had a few requests but nothing to make a TT offering on a regular basis.

J

Jason

66052.jpg?1477718151

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,883 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

There are actually some off-the-rack offerings that could likely be adapted to fit a regular 2" receiver if I were serious.  I do need a place to carry the saw from time to time but I'm not going to be adding any new bumpers on my rigs as they're already built.  Just thoughts for the future. 

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users