Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LR3 (and possibly LR4 at some point) steel winch bumper from Lucky 8

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

aebrownleeiv

aebrownleeiv

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • East Bay/WC
  • 2006 LR3 SE HD

Didn't know how many of you followed Lucky8's blog, but it looks like they're closer in getting a steel winch bumper made that isn't bank breaking: https://www.lucky8ll.../lr3-cfe-bumper

If they hit their price point of being about half the cost of the other popular options, it might not be a bad deal if it is built decently. I can't see the Lucky8 guys building it poorly, but somewhere costs have to have been cut. I'm just hoping it is in labor. 

Anyway, I might try that route out when they go that way, as I've been going back and forth on which bumper to snag since I picked up the LR3. I'm not sure if I like the lack of light/corner protection, but having a welder and years of inhaling welding fumes, I may fix that if it really annoys me. 

unnamed-7_974adc5a-9a54-4a73-a9a8-cb3461

unnamed-9_0c414a3f-27b4-40d1-b2c7-1d7670

• RedRover likes this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I've been watching this develop and it looks very promising.  Right now I still prefer the Tactical bumper but once this is actually on the market that may change.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

Not sure if this bumper will be limited run, but L8 typically run 10% promo during the holidays. 

So, if it's regular stock and timing works out...

I got my mantec spare carrier from them during last thxgiving or xmas holiday promo. 

Chris

aebrownleeiv

aebrownleeiv

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • East Bay/WC
  • 2006 LR3 SE HD

I've been watching this develop and it looks very promising.  Right now I still prefer the Tactical bumper but once this is actually on the market that may change.

Same, although I've not seen the Tactical in person, I like the way it appears to be put together better. Certainly better than the "Proud Rhino" option, which somehow looks incredibly ugly and bulky. 

Not sure if this bumper will be limited run, but L8 typically run 10% promo during the holidays. 

So, if it's regular stock and timing works out...

I got my mantec spare carrier from them during last thxgiving or xmas holiday promo. 

Oooh, 10% during the holidays may make my christmas shopping list a bit different. IIRC, they're the only US Prospeed distributor? 

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
Don't see the draw of a front steal bumper for these rigs...I guess it provides a solid recovery point. There are options for a which with the stock bumpers.

The rear seems better as the departure angle could use some reinforcement. Give the tire a mounting location too.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
  • Trail Tailor likes this

Trail Tailor

Trail Tailor

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Redding, CA
  • 97 D1

Don't see the draw of a front steal bumper for these rigs...I guess it provides a solid recovery point. There are options for a which with the stock bumpers.

The rear seems better as the departure angle could use some reinforcement. Give the tire a mounting location too.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I've asked this question for a few years now.  I try to ask it in a more discreet way. What do you plan to do with the rig? or Would you consider a winch plate?

Top replies

-- I plan to use the rig for camping and some crawling eventually  (most sell their rigs before a run is made or after the 1st or 2nd trail run)

-- Want more protection ( deer, antelope etc.. but they don't want any grill or headlight protection)

-- I want the look. ( I see winch bumpers all the time with no winch or a winch that isn't wired up. Most have never been exercised and rewound, still factory wound) I think its because they think they have to have one and to look the part...

I can support the front bumper purchase if the true need is there... But, I sell on a13:1- rear to front  bumper ratio to the cruiser guys and local one off builds. So far since I've announced more Rover bumpers are in the works the rear is still a 10:1 favorite based on current inquiries.

Winch plate replies are usually:

- for 2-300$ more I can have a real bumper....

- if I damage the factory bumper shell I'm in the hole to sell the plate and buy a bumper, so might as well buy and cry once.,,,

Most of the plate buyers want it for emergency uses and want to keep the stock look.  They usually never take their rigs off more than a fire road or gravel road.

All in all, its what they want and what they want to look like.... not what they need. I'd say this statement applies to 75% of buyers. We all know them and see them on a daily basis. Unfortunately, I can't build and sell a mall crawler poser edition bumper.... :lol: :lol:

Jason

66052.jpg?1477718151

Custom Fabrication, Tough Dog Suspensions, ComeUp Winches, Rigid Industries and Baja Designs LEDs.

aebrownleeiv

aebrownleeiv

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • East Bay/WC
  • 2006 LR3 SE HD

I've asked this question for a few years now.  I try to ask it in a more discreet way. What do you plan to do with the rig? or Would you consider a winch plate?

Top replies

-- I plan to use the rig for camping and some crawling eventually  (most sell their rigs before a run is made or after the 1st or 2nd trail run)

-- Want more protection ( deer, antelope etc.. but they don't want any grill or headlight protection)

-- I want the look. ( I see winch bumpers all the time with no winch or a winch that isn't wired up. Most have never been exercised and rewound, still factory wound) I think its because they think they have to have one and to look the part...

I can support the front bumper purchase if the true need is there... But, I sell on a13:1- rear to front  bumper ratio to the cruiser guys and local one off builds. So far since I've announced more Rover bumpers are in the works the rear is still a 10:1 favorite based on current inquiries.

Winch plate replies are usually:

- for 2-300$ more I can have a real bumper....

- if I damage the factory bumper shell I'm in the hole to sell the plate and buy a bumper, so might as well buy and cry once.,,,

Most of the plate buyers want it for emergency uses and want to keep the stock look.  They usually never take their rigs off more than a fire road or gravel road.

All in all, its what they want and what they want to look like.... not what they need. I'd say this statement applies to 75% of buyers. We all know them and see them on a daily basis. Unfortunately, I can't build and sell a mall crawler poser edition bumper.... :lol: :lol:

I'd sadly agree that there are many who do it for looks, or because it's what is "cool" at the time. I want a rear as well, but my primary reason for wanting a rear is for a rear tire carrier, and I'm not totally sold on the TR solution (but I've only seen it in photos). So that means I sit here and debate biting the bullet on that one, vs sitting down and actually just building my own. 

I guess for me, I've already taken my LR3 more places in the past year than I have any 4x4 vehicle I've owned in the past 10 years. I'm not on par yet with where I was at with my old blazer, where we went out to dent a new body panel every weekend, but then again that was in a different state at a different time  :D 

The winch aspect, is actually lower on my reasons "why I want a steel front bumper" than probably most people. 

I would say my reasons are this: 
1) I don't care about scraping and banging it off road
2) I absolutely loath dealing with saplings and heavy brush with the plastic. It chews it up fast.
3) I make enough trips in remote areas where deer are a real concern, that I really feel paranoid without one (having grown up, with literally every vehicle having bounced a few deer off of the guard/bumper).

4) Good place to mount a winch that isn't buried within the vehicle
5) More recovery attachment points
6) Looks. 

On the last one, looks, I don't know if others out here in the Bay Area have experienced it or not, but people absolutely jump in front of me, and are more of dicks on the road. I'm not sure if it is because they go "Land Rover, he won't risk hitting me." or what the deal is with that. I can drive my Suburban in the same traffic, and I rarely have idiots jumping in front of me with her. But then again, she looks like something someone would drive if they were fine rolling over the top of someone. 

Trail Tailor

Trail Tailor

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Redding, CA
  • 97 D1

I'd sadly agree that there are many who do it for looks, or because it's what is "cool" at the time. I want a rear as well, but my primary reason for wanting a rear is for a rear tire carrier, and I'm not totally sold on the TR solution (but I've only seen it in photos). So that means I sit here and debate biting the bullet on that one, vs sitting down and actually just building my own. 

I guess for me, I've already taken my LR3 more places in the past year than I have any 4x4 vehicle I've owned in the past 10 years. I'm not on par yet with where I was at with my old blazer, where we went out to dent a new body panel every weekend, but then again that was in a different state at a different time  :D 

The winch aspect, is actually lower on my reasons "why I want a steel front bumper" than probably most people. 

I would say my reasons are this: 
1) I don't care about scraping and banging it off road
2) I absolutely loath dealing with saplings and heavy brush with the plastic. It chews it up fast.
3) I make enough trips in remote areas where deer are a real concern, that I really feel paranoid without one (having grown up, with literally every vehicle having bounced a few deer off of the guard/bumper).

4) Good place to mount a winch that isn't buried within the vehicle
5) More recovery attachment points
6) Looks. 

On the last one, looks, I don't know if others out here in the Bay Area have experienced it or not, but people absolutely jump in front of me, and are more of dicks on the road. I'm not sure if it is because they go "Land Rover, he won't risk hitting me." or what the deal is with that. I can drive my Suburban in the same traffic, and I rarely have idiots jumping in front of me with her. But then again, she looks like something someone would drive if they were fine rolling over the top of someone. 

My front LR3 and LR4 bumpers will have a similar look to my cruiser 80 and 100 series. I hope to have these out in the next 2-3 months.

Attached Files

Jason

66052.jpg?1477718151

Custom Fabrication, Tough Dog Suspensions, ComeUp Winches, Rigid Industries and Baja Designs LEDs.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I like the look of your 100 (the green one is the 100, right?) better, particularly the corner treatment with the extra angle.  I suspect the recovery points on the 80 are a little stronger in an off-center pull just because they are in tighter but that's pretty minimal and may just be the pics.  It will be interesting to see what you can do with the LR3/4 to keep the winch both accessible (as above) and keep the approach angles.  Your stuff looks nice - can't wait to see how the new Rover items turn out once you get your shop up and running!

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Trail Tailor

Trail Tailor

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Redding, CA
  • 97 D1

D,

Correct, the green is the 100 and my original prototype,  The recovery points on both are one solid piece to the frame. I don't run "shell through" only recovery points like most others out there. My center winch sections are 1/4" HSLA steel and the wings are 3/16" HSLA.  You'd have to rip 2-6;  M10, M12 or 1/2" grade 8-12.9  bolts through the frame to make my attachments fail as a whole. 

The 100 has 3/8 frame/recovery with 1/4" gussets and the 80 has 1/2" frame/recovery with 1/4" gussets. Both with a reinforced recovery sleeve. With 3/16" wing backing stiffner plates.

Bumpers are 100% welded front and back. I bend everything I can and eliminate any extra cutting and welding.  Each of those bumpers is in the 90-110# range pending tube work.

Approach is tighter than stock and tighter and higher than other offerings as well.

I'm excited to get going on the Rover products and working with some of you guys, but striking out left and right on buying R&D rigs in the upper NorCal area. I'm 0-7 with cash in hand...... Maybe once I'm there in a couple weeks permanently I'll have better luck.

Attached Files

Edited by Trail Tailor, 16 October 2017 - 08:27 PM.

Jason

66052.jpg?1477718151

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)
Jason
I’m in Red Bluff

Rupert
2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

Trail Tailor

Trail Tailor

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Redding, CA
  • 97 D1

Jason
I’m in Red Bluff

Rupert

R,

Excellent. I'll be back in Redding the first week in November and once the shop is up and running please feel free to come up. 

Jason

66052.jpg?1477718151

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users