Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Anybody make a Saudi grill?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Elherbinator

Elherbinator

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • San jose
  • Discovery 2
I'm thinking about making up a Saudi grill for my 2003 disco 2. Just wanted to see if anyone else here has made one and see if anyone has any opinions or advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

I'm thinking about making up a Saudi grill for my 2003 disco 2. Just wanted to see if anyone else here has made one and see if anyone has any opinions or advice.

2003 is a post-facelift isn't it?  Saudi grille won't fit.

We can get them (subject to checking our distributor for stock) for $590 ... so unless you really like them I'd think again.

If you're set on the look, trim out your horizontal slats and add mesh.  $20 from Home Depot.

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeWare, 21 September 2017 - 08:16 PM.

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

Elherbinator

Elherbinator

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • San jose
  • Discovery 2

2003 is a post-facelift isn't it? Saudi grille won't fit.

We can get them (subject to checking our distributor for stock) for $590 ... so unless you really like them I'd think again.

If you're set on the look, trim out your horizontal slats and add mesh. $20 from Home Depot.

Regards,

Graeme

I was not planning on purchasing one. I was going to make from scratch or cut up my current grill.

• Jethro likes this

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

I know I've seen a few DIYs floating around on some of the other LR forums. Can't recall which now, but you might start with LandRoverForums.com and see what's there. 

Personally....I've never thought any of them, even the real ones, look very good. My recommendation would be to buy a spare one, especially if you can find a damaged one for cheap, and use that for the build while keeping your original one safely tucked away in the garage. 

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

Trail Tailor

Trail Tailor

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Redding, CA
  • 97 D1

https://landroverfor...write-up-33088/

D1 but will give you some guidance.

J

Jason

66052.jpg?1477718151

Custom Fabrication, Tough Dog Suspensions, ComeUp Winches, Rigid Industries and Baja Designs LEDs.

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

was wondering what saudi grill is... now i know. It's a grill with mesh grill instead of slats? 

Looks pretty straight forward to make with mesh (saw some on amazon) and dremel. 

Looks kinda cool on a D2 from link that Jason posted - i've only seem them on road & race cars. I tried making one for road car, but I wasn't very good at bending the mesh with basic hand tools. 

Someone made similar turn-key grill for the Defender... though, they sell for arm & a leg. 

Attached Files

• Jethro likes this
Chris

Elherbinator

Elherbinator

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • San jose
  • Discovery 2
I put on some screen door type material to just see what it would look like. I think it looks pretty badass. So I am going to fab something up in the next week. Hopefully it will be all good for the annual next week.df00fa2e54aa7e0b4091ad44fcee20a7.jpeg

Trail Tailor

Trail Tailor

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Redding, CA
  • 97 D1

I'll try and find the company I bought my last few grill meshes from. They have a few different patterns in bare aluminum or powder coated black. Very reasonable for the product supplied.

I like the aluminum, its easy to work and fasten with clips and rivets or high strength clear epoxy.

Jason

66052.jpg?1477718151

Custom Fabrication, Tough Dog Suspensions, ComeUp Winches, Rigid Industries and Baja Designs LEDs.

Elherbinator

Elherbinator

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • San jose
  • Discovery 2
I made the grill today. Used some aluminum mesh I bought at Home Depot. I cut it to fit, then painted and screwed it into the old grill. The whole job was pretty quick and easy, maybe an hour of actual work. I used paint I already had and bought some screws and the mesh for about $15 total. d0cda98a8475196d03efc34740809a85.jpg

• DHappel and Jethro like this

Elherbinator

Elherbinator

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • San jose
  • Discovery 2
Here is a small piece of the mesh I used. I used a pair of metal snips to cut it up. Cutting it was the hardest part of the job, but the stuff is pretty soft and easily cut still. d94cd46105a929e0fde523696b5688f4.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I made the grill today. Used some aluminum mesh I bought at Home Depot. I cut it to fit, then painted and screwed it into the old grill. The whole job was pretty quick and easy, maybe an hour of actual work. I used paint I already had and bought some screws and the mesh for about $15 total. d0cda98a8475196d03efc34740809a85.jpg

Looks nice!  Better than I expected.

• Justin and Elherbinator like this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

renelozano

renelozano

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Vallejo, CA
  • KM6CWU
  • 2000 Discovery II
I made one for mine, super easy, cheap and effective. Send me a message and I’ll shoot you my email address and can send you photos of what I did. I would post here but I could never figure out how to post pictures without having one of those photbucket accounts.

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

I made one for mine, super easy, cheap and effective. Send me a message and I’ll shoot you my email address and can send you photos of what I did. I would post here but I could never figure out how to post pictures without having one of those photbucket accounts.

When you reply, click the [more reply options]
Then, you get another reply page and towards bottom left you'll see [select file] and then [attach file].
  • Jethro likes this
Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users