Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Options beside Johnson lift rods and GAP tool?

- - - - - lift rods

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

jlmoped

jlmoped

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • San Jose, CA
  • KI6AWY

Besides the Johnson lift rods and the GAP IID tool, has anyone tried any gadget like the MudTech Anitas and Llams height controller?

For the lift rods, the oem is plastic/rubber, is there any advantage to switch to stainless steel?  Since the sensors are plastic, it seems an overkill to make the rods stronger than the sensor arms.  Has anyone tried to home-make the rods?

Thanks,

Julian

Phil.

Phil.

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • KO6RRS
  • 2006 Range Rover Sport
  • 1995 Defender 90 SW

first rods to hit the market was developed by NCLR member sasquatch who made adjustable rods. he developed it on his LR3 and then confirmed fitment on my RRS over a few beers years ago. i still have these, but stopped using them since i got the GAP tool. been meaning to experiment to see how much lift i can get using rods + GAP, but i have clearance issues with the baja rack so haven't bothered.

a few of the RRS owners on RR.net have the llams tool. differentiator i see is being able to adjust height on the move with a quick flip of a switch.

Attached Files

2006 Java Black Range Rover Sport HSE | 1995 Alpine White D90 SW #317/500
nclrclub.jpg
jeepsuvlandroverbanner.gif

NCLR014

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

I believe Don Happel has tried the LLAMS kit. 

I agree with you about concern with the aftermarket rods being "too strong" and breaking the sensor arms, but I haven't ever actually heard of that happening so I'm going to guess it's only a theoretical problem. 

I have rods (Proud Rhino) and the GAP tool and use them together. With the rods on, it's just a bit taller than off-road height, and I didn't want to drive around like that all the time. So, I have a setting that brings it back down a ways, and another setting that extends it even further than with the rods. Gives me quite a bit more flexibility that way. If I were changing settings on a regular basis, I'd probably want the LLAMS for easier adjustments, but the GAP is pretty good. 

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Yes, I have a LLAMS installed on my LR3 currently.  It was pretty cool for a while but later had a freak-out and sent the suspension to max lift all the time.  I didn't have time to sort it out at that point so installed the included by-pass plug and have left it that way since.  In fact, I sorta forgot it was there what with picking up the D1 this year.

It's pretty cool and I don't think my problem is serious.  I probably just need to re-calibrate it.  

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109

I have a set of the original Sasquash (sp?) Rods that fellow club member developed in the early days. No longer need them because I switched to coils recently. I can bring them to the Annual if you want to try them out. Willing to sell.

Enrique
KI6QBY

NCLR #10 Current Director & Founding Member
1962 Series IIA Reg. Waiting to be restored :(

1967 Series IIA Two Door Pick Up, Daily Driver
1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD
1995 LWB RubiconReady, SOLD
1998 D1, 4.6 Relocated to KY 

1998 D1 Arles Blue. Dismantled 
06 LR3 HSE ARB bumper with Warn Winch

1992 SWB Da Yeti. Dusy Ready

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

For the lift rods, the oem is plastic/rubber, is there any advantage to switch to stainless steel?  Since the sensors are plastic, it seems an overkill to make the rods stronger than the sensor arms.  Has anyone tried to home-make the rods?

Thanks,

Julian

You're right that there's no real need for the rods to be SS as the stock ones are plastic, however they should be stiff and should have a snug fit on the sensor/arm pins.  Not super tight, just no slop.  You could certainly make your own; I've heard of some people cutting the stock rods and re-glueing them shorter to get lift.  The key is figuring out how much shorter to make them.  You'd have to come up with something adjustable so you could dial in the correct length for the lift you wanted.  

Sasquatch was (according to NCLR lore) the first.  Johnson is the most popular.  Lucky8 has their Proud Rhino brand.  Green Oval has one with 3 different holes for different height lifts.  None of them are very expensive and all are easy to install.  I don't see any real advantage to trying to make your own.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users