Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Limb Risers?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

gurka

gurka

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • SFO

Looking for parts kit and advice on how to build. I keep reading the cabling is hard to acquire - any suggestions on what should be used and where to acquire it? I'm seeing 3/16" aircraft grade cable is recommended but again, hard to get in small lengths.

Trail Tailor

Trail Tailor

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Redding, CA

Looking for parts kit and advice on how to build. I keep reading the cabling is hard to acquire - any suggestions on what should be used and where to acquire it? I'm seeing 3/16" aircraft grade cable is recommended but again, hard to get in small lengths.

LIMB RISER

J

Jason

66052.jpg?1477718151

Custom Fabrication, Tough Dog Suspensions, ComeUp Winches, Rigid Industries and Baja Designs LEDs.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
You can buy stainless cable at Home Despot by the foot, along with clamps, turnbuckles, etc.

I probably even have some laying around from past projects.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

gurka

gurka

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • SFO

Yeah I prefer to make my own like what the OverlandBound guy did here - just need to find the cable. Will check HD.

thanks

• Elherbinator likes this

Trail Tailor

Trail Tailor

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Redding, CA

Home Depot, McMaster-Carr should have everything for a DIY project.

Jason

66052.jpg?1477718151

Custom Fabrication, Tough Dog Suspensions, ComeUp Winches, Rigid Industries and Baja Designs LEDs.

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032
Yup, I’ve see cables at HD and Lowes sold by the foot. Though, I am not sure if they’re stainless, and gauge size may be limited.
I have found stainless ones online - ordered a few ft of it to fix my kayak.

I’ve been thinking of making one myself, using small clamps holding the ends, and those turn buckle tensioner to pull the lines.

Here are pictures of parts you need. Btw, this assumes tubular bars; that’s what I have. But I’m self-centered. ;)
The roll bar clamps are from amazon $12/pair, turnbuckle from e-rigging.com, cable & clamp from lowes.com. Looks like they only sell galvanized parts. Personally, I’d prob go stainless.

Attached Files

Edited by lithium1330, 04 October 2017 - 09:42 AM.

• RedRover likes this
Chris

gurka

gurka

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • SFO

Thanks for the McMaster-Carr recommendation - they have the cables in shorter length pieces. Never heard of this site before, very nice.

• Trail Tailor likes this

Trail Tailor

Trail Tailor

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Redding, CA

Thanks for the McMaster-Carr recommendation - they have the cables in shorter length pieces. Never heard of this site before, very nice.

They are a little higher than Home Depot etc.. but you can buy damn near anything from them. Grainger is another industrial supply. There are two or three more as well. Glad they worked out for you.

J

Jason

66052.jpg?1477718151

gurka

gurka

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • SFO

I'm actually now not sure what to order from the McMaster-Carr site. Can someone help me define all the parts I would need from them? I would prefer to order everything from them directly. I'm not sure which cable is appropriate as they have these numbers in front which I have no clue what they mean.

Note, I have a Rhino Roof Rack and an ARB winch bumper (no winch installed) to connect the cables to the truck and roof.

thanks

Edited by gurka, 04 October 2017 - 11:52 AM.

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

just watched the Overland Bound vid...

I'm not familiar with the Rhino rack... though, I wouldn't drill holes into a perfectly good metal tube, as Michael did in vid.  

If you don't plan to drill holes, you'll need to get some tube clamps I mentioned earlier. THis allows you to secure the cable wire to your bumper and also your rack - assuming you don't have tie down points already. You could also possible make your own tube clamps with hose clamps for less $ - just wrap the tubes in some silicone tape to prevent paint marring. 

Have a look at the kit Front Runner sells... it has a list of included components you can use as shopping list. 

https://www.frontrun...deflectors.html

g'luck!

Chris

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Secretary

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
  • 2012 Range Rover (work)
A while back I saw a really nice setup one of the guys in the club had on his P38. He had the cables looped around the roof rack and clamped together near the top. He also has something that allowed him to release the tension on the cables up near the roof rack, so he could remove them if necessary to do work on his truck. It was pretty cool and how I'd do it if I added them to my truck. I think he's up in the Sacramento area and that probably doesn't help anyone at all, but this thread reminded me of his setup.
  • erinw.rrc likes this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Stainless cable, 1/8"

http://www.homedepot...10050/204471267

Stainless thimble and clamp set - need 2

http://www.homedepot...43074/205883048

Stainless loop/hook turnbuckle (5-pac shown, you need 2)

http://www.homedepot...894-0/203810512

Basically just walk into HD and find the cable and rope section.  They'l have spools of SS wire rope and you can just pick the size you like, measure out however much you need, and cut it off.  Based on the size wire you use, pick up some clamps and thimbles.  Then grab a couple turnbuckles.  I think you'll want the style with a loop on one end and hook on the other to make them easier to mount.

You'll need to figure out how you want to attach them to your bull bar and rack - the tube clamps shown above are a good idea but you could simply drill a hole and use SS eye bolt and nylock nut.  

Keep in mind you will probably have to remove or at least loosen them significantly to open the hood which is one of the reasons I've never run them.  I've seen some kits that have a quick-release cam instead of the turnbuckle to that end.

If you want help with it I'm happy to give you a hand; I think I even have some of this stuff sitting around my shop from an old landscape project, but I won't be home until Monday.  

Lots of ways to skin this cat.

Don

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Keep in mind you will probably have to remove or at least loosen them significantly to open the hood which is one of the reasons I've never run them.  I've seen some kits that have a quick-release cam instead of the turnbuckle to that end.

I think for the D1/2 you can route them far enough to the side that it won't interfere with hood opening. 

All Range Rovers, plus the LR3/4, have the clamshell hood design that makes it a whole lot harder to get the cables far enough out of the way.

The Classic is doable with a wide rack like the Brownchurch, but everything newer looks like a PITA. 

Some day, I may play with the Sport a bit to see if I could do risers, but that's pretty low on the priority list. 

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

this thread got me thinking of tackling this project... But, with my luck, I'll find that stubby limb that will ride 1/2 way up the cable with some tensioned/force, and just slips off to whack my windscreen. 

• AdvRovr likes this
Chris

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

I always use one of these to cut my cheese .... I guess some of you have larger blocks of cheese than I do ....

https://target.scene...=1560&fmt=pjpeg

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I always use one of these to cut my cheese .... I guess some of you have larger blocks of cheese than I do ....

https://target.scene...=1560&fmt=pjpeg

Regards,

Graeme

So you're saying you're not the Big Cheese?

Don

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

Unless you have the steel tube unimog style limb "breakers", you will want to have some spring in the cable.

The trophy limb lifters used what appeared to be a sailing cable device to both tension and spring load the cables. Called a Camel-Lever in this instance. For a D1 it always appears that to open the hood the cables get in the way and so are unbuckled when hood is opened. 

http://www.bushcable...mel-trophy-set/

• aebrownleeiv likes this

:lr:

2006 Discovery 3(Build Thread)

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Instagram: CondorDavis

23669857085_fe30f0934c.jpg

aebrownleeiv

aebrownleeiv

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • East Bay/WC
  • 2006 LR3 SE HD

Unless you have the steel tube unimog style limb "breakers", you will want to have some spring in the cable.

The trophy limb lifters used what appeared to be a sailing cable device to both tension and spring load the cables. Called a Camel-Lever in this instance. For a D1 it always appears that to open the hood the cables get in the way and so are unbuckled when hood is opened. 

http://www.bushcable...mel-trophy-set/

I find it hard to believe a Unimog needs anything special to "break" things LOL. I grew up with them, they're just an odd looking tank. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users