Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

My Tank is Smaller Than Your Tank

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

A bit of a strange one here.  It seems like the P38 tank level indication is not quite correct.  I noticed that when the level indicator is at the empty position the tank only takes about 16 gallons to fill before the pump shuts off and the gauge shows full again.  The manual indicates that the fuel tank holds about 24 gallons.  The other day I did a test.  The gauge was showing half full when I topped it off,  it took just over 5 gallons.  What the what?!  I don't remember this being an issue before.  Guess I have some investigation to do.  

Elherbinator

Elherbinator

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • San jose
  • Discovery 2

A bit of a strange one here. It seems like the P38 tank level indication is not quite correct. I noticed that when the level indicator is at the empty position the tank only takes about 16 gallons to fill before the pump shuts off and the gauge shows full again. The manual indicates that the fuel tank holds about 24 gallons. The other day I did a test. The gauge was showing half full when I topped it off, it took just over 5 gallons. What the what?! I don't remember this being an issue before. Guess I have some investigation to do.

Float on the sending unit might not float that well anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • AdvRovr likes this

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Agreed - sounds like a sending unit issue to me.

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

RedRover has a different but similar issue.  Ever since the gauge cluster was swapped out and a new fuel pump installed, the reading when full is pegged past the full mark and stays there until there is about a half of a tank left.

When the tank is close to empty, the gauge shows half-full and the dummy light is on... I'd like it to be accurate (which happens on very RARE occasion magically) but not sure what to work on first.

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

Elherbinator

Elherbinator

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • San jose
  • Discovery 2

RedRover has a different but similar issue. Ever since the gauge cluster was swapped out and a new fuel pump installed, the reading when full is pegged past the full mark and stays there until there is about a half of a tank left.

When the tank is close to empty, the gauge shows half-full and the dummy light is on... I'd like it to be accurate (which happens on very RARE occasion magically) but not sure what to work on first.

I had a similar issue with a BMW e30 I used to own. I ended up taking the actual dial arm off the gauge and repositioning it. Not sure if that was the best way to remedy it or if that could be done with yours, but it worked for me.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Certainly sounds like a sender issue.  Most senders are little more than potentiates attached to floats.  It may be possible to pull out the sender and test it's action vs reading on the gauge and bend the float arm accordingly, but the real question is why you would need to do that in the first place.  Possibly a bad ground or positive at the sender causing a false reading? 

Not sure how hard it is to get to the sender on a P38 or how it's built.  I'm basing this on generic info.  It may well be more complicated than that (because of course it's more complicated).  

FWIW there are custom programmable sending units on the market but before I got into something like that I'd want to do some diagnostics on the existing part and maybe a known good one.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Unfortunately the sending unit on a P38 isn't quite as easily accessible as on the disco.   I was thinking float issues at first but the only way I have seen a float fail is to leak and then it sinks giving you a false low indication not a false high.  So then I was thinking about the arm being bent or misaligned but couldn't quite noodle out how it would be bent in such a way that the level would indicate full when it's actually full and trend down more quickly than it should.  I would think that if the arm was bent too far down that it would show full until the liquid level in the tank got low enough to allow the float to move.  But that's not the symptom on ours.  And it it was bent too high then it wouldn't show full enough.  The only thing I could come up with is if the arm was too long.  But how in the heck would that occur?  I will play with it a bit this weekend.  The only other thing I could think of is if the tank had a large dent in it which would be significantly reducing it's volume but I don't see that either.  

Gotrovr

Gotrovr

Rover

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Must be a LR thing.  I'm having the same issue with my MY16 LR4

Will

'05 LR3 HSE "Donkey"

'16 LR4 HSE  "Perseus"

Building a life journey one puzzle piece at a time

Elherbinator

Elherbinator

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • San jose
  • Discovery 2

Unfortunately the sending unit on a P38 isn't quite as easily accessible as on the disco. I was thinking float issues at first but the only way I have seen a float fail is to leak and then it sinks giving you a false low indication not a false high. So then I was thinking about the arm being bent or misaligned but couldn't quite noodle out how it would be bent in such a way that the level would indicate full when it's actually full and trend down more quickly than it should. I would think that if the arm was bent too far down that it would show full until the liquid level in the tank got low enough to allow the float to move. But that's not the symptom on ours. And it it was bent too high then it wouldn't show full enough. The only thing I could come up with is if the arm was too long. But how in the heck would that occur? I will play with it a bit this weekend. The only other thing I could think of is if the tank had a large dent in it which would be significantly reducing it's volume but I don't see that either.

You're getting false high readings? The original post indicated it was reading lower than it should. Like the float was sitting lower than it should. Often the floats have a seam in the middle of it that fails. It will allow it to fill up, but usually not completely. An air pocket above the seam failure will still exist allowing it to still float, just lower. If I had to guess at the issue, I'd go with that. You'll probably just have to pull the fuel pump to see. At that point, might as well just swap in a new one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users