Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

DIY Wind Fairing?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Has anyone here made a wind fairing for their rack? If so, any tips? 

The new rack makes an unbearable howling noise, so I've got to do something ASAP. I think the fairing itself would be pretty simple, just trim some sheet metal to fit, but I'm not sure the best way to approach the brackets.

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

I used a yakima on my brownchurch.  it worked okay, but looked like a yakima fairing.

Plexiglass works well.  you have a TAP plastics nearby?  Measure and cut some cardboard and have them cut one out for you.

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Thanks, that's a good thought with TAP. Still not sure about mounting brackets though.

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

You will laugh...but zip ties.  To the top of the rack and ...what is this going on?    

You could use some 3m VHB tape and tape the leading edge to the roof...

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Been there - when I got my Urban Offroad rack I put it on hours before I left on a trip.  I got on the highway for the first time and thought a 747 was landing on my roof!

I stopped at a wal-mart and bought a bunch of plastic for-sale yard signs, cut them up, and zip tied them to the rack.  Problem solved, but pretty ghetto.

Once back from my trip I ordered the wind deflector Urban offered.  Upon arrival a few days later I installed it but it wasn't as quite as my ghetto fab.  So off it came and I took ti to TAP and had them duplicate it only slightly thicker (I forget what type of plastic it is - not Plexi) and about 6" longer so it would reach down to the roof.  I then installed that with a strip of foam tape on the lower backside to prevent damage where it touches the paint and 1" rubber coated cable clamps to secure it to the rack.  Easy-Peasy.

• Jethro and aebrownleeiv like this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

jlmoped

jlmoped

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • San Jose, CA
  • KI6AWY
  • 2013 LR4
I used a piece of 1/4" ABS from Tap Plastics and mounted it to the Frontrunner rack with some aluminum angle brackets. The angle is adjustable and the deflector curves to the shape of the windshield and roof line. I added a piece of exterior water pipe foam insulation on the edge touching the paint. If there is a gap between the deflector and the roof, I get whistling sound.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Julian

'13 LR4 - with some extra stuff

KI6AWY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users