Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Air intakes, filters, and snorkels etc (LR3/4)

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

aebrownleeiv

aebrownleeiv

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • East Bay/WC
  • 2006 LR3 SE HD

So, all the wonderful ash covering everything again, brought me back to wanting to filter things a bit better. 

Years ago, in my old Blazer that I used to do all sorts of stupid stuff with, I had fitted the air filter box and element from a Ford PowerStroke (they did a special filter at the end of the 7.3 line and start of the 6.0, that was pretty epic.) It was a nightmare of a job, but between it and my DIY snorkel stolen from an XJ, it worked exceptionally well for dirty/dusty trails. 

The LR3 filter, is IMHO for the size of the motor, tiny. I've already got more replacements on the way. 

What I wanted to know though, is if anyone has seen (or done?) any additional pre-filter elements and such with a snorkel? I don't have one on the LR3 currently, but while I know it would help with the dust, it seems silly to have all that additional tubing and no pre-filters or anything in addition. 

Also, somewhat related, does anyone know if there were ever any additional cabin air filter options? I know some vehicles came with "additional" HEPA filters and such, and was just wondering if there was anything like that for the LR3 as LR at least, in part, designed these for "harsh environments." 

This is more spitballing than anything else, but I figured some of you all (Don, looking at you) might have some interesting ideas. 

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

Imo there is no need to depart from the factory setup either engine intake or cabin intake

Engine air filter is great and good quality, no issues with it being too small... Cabin filter provided you get the good Mann charcoal ones are more than adequate for redonk dusty environments. 

Having done a snorkel on a D3 I would not do one again. Too much work and the one downside to the factory airbox is it is hard to seal the airbox to the snorkel... ask me how I know. The factory intake could use a piece of tubing that the TDV6 models have that we do not on the 4.4, but this is super easy to address. Also the drain valve on the factory airbox is the one useless part. Put a quarter or something in the hole and seal that bad boy up. I have gotten mud and water inside the box from there before. 

Use MANN filter elements on both, stick with the complete stock intake, and keep a set of spare filters in a parts bin incase you are seeing biblical dust. The chevy and GMC vehicles used by contractors in the mid 2000s had stock intakes and all they did was change filters out more frequently. This is cheaper and honestly better than any hoopla unless you are a serious plumbing and air element wizard. Stick to a solid oil change interval and this will keep the dust/particulates that get past the already good filter a non issue.

Edited by DiscoDavis, 13 October 2017 - 01:45 PM.

:lr:

2006 Discovery 3(Build Thread)

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Instagram: CondorDavis

23669857085_fe30f0934c.jpg

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Also, you CAN NOT put a snorkel on an LR4 unless it's a TD6 which you cannot get in the US.  Not that you have one, but in-case someone with an LR4 is thinking of doing one... don't do it.  It has a dual air intake and an unfriendly Can-bus system. 

• AlysonH likes this

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users