Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Alternator re wrire

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Alaskan

Alaskan

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Loomis, Ca
  • 2013 sport
  • 1967 2A 88
  • 1964 2A 109

I have a 1967 Series 2A , and I  purchased a new wire harness. The old alternator has three wires, white, black and Red. I would think Red was positive, Black negative and white ground.  the new wire harness has three wires that connect to the alternator, small wires yellow, brown, and one larger wire also brown. WHICH WIRES DO I CONNECT TO THE ORIGINAL WIRES????  I  would think the large brown wire was the positive and should be connect to the red. The other two I'm not sure and need help.

On the other end of the wire harness I have the same three colors and a green wire. I have made all those connections except the brown wire again. It has a round terminal on the end, not sure what it connects to????

I would appreciate any and all help with explanations, diagrams, pictures, web sites, ect.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,093 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

er....I'm afraid I don't have much help for you as I can't say I've ever messed with a series truck.  My best suggestion would be to ping Dan as he seems to be pretty dialed in on such things.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

Depends on who the alternator was made by. Google wiring color codes for that specific region. 

:lr:

2006 Discovery 3(Build Thread)

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Instagram: CondorDavis

23669857085_fe30f0934c.jpg

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

White is typically the field winding and needs to go via the idiot light to excite the winding.

Looks like your new one may have a tachometer output which is usually tapped off the rectifier somewhere.  They vary according to manufacturer.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

Alaskan

Alaskan

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Loomis, Ca
  • 2013 sport
  • 1967 2A 88
  • 1964 2A 109

Who is Dan and how do I get ahold of him?

Alaskan

Alaskan

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Loomis, Ca
  • 2013 sport
  • 1967 2A 88
  • 1964 2A 109

Thanks for the response!

0 user(s) are reading this topic