Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

engine performance

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

An update.

Yesterday since we didn't head up to the Rubicon I went ahead and swapped in the new ECU, plugs, wires, and injectors.

The net results are amazing!  

Amazingly little that is.

Using a not-very-accurate GPS 0-60 app I did before and after runs.  The numbers vary wildly depending on exactly when the GPS signal updates so these aren't particularly accurate but averaging 5 runs the before time was 12.60 seconds and the after 12.25.

That is an improvement and does indicate some gain in power but it's hard to estimate how much or exactly where the power gains were.  You'd need a dyno to get any solid data.  

I can't really give a seat of the pants impression as I've only driven it locally here on flat ground.  My goal is to get a bit better mid and high rpm (high being relative, it shifts at about 4900 rpm) performance for climbing hills on the interstate and the like.  I've happy enough with the performance off road where I rarely get over 2000 rpm unless I'm somewhere like last weekend at Oceano Dunes.

I still think I need to do the exhaust as it just sounds wheezy.  Even if I don't gain any performance I should be able to get it to sound like an actual V8 instead of an asthmatic coal miner with a 3 pack a day habit running a marathon.

• RedRover and Jethro like this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
You have a d1 parts truck. What's stopping you from swapping in the cats?

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I stopped at a custom exhaust shop a while back to ask about building a new system.  They did a quick back pressure test before the cats and said it was fine; they weren't causing any issues.  Give they were talking me out of spending money with them I tended to believe them.  Still, at the very least it sounds crappy at higher revs right now.  I really don't know if exhaust will help performance but it certainly will help the sound.

• Jethro likes this

Don

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

So you have a suspicion, and a lift ... 

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I think I found a solution:

8669-L.jpg

• Jethro likes this

Don

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Totally looks stock.  I'm sure it will fly right through the SMOG visual.  On the other hand your wheezy sound will be drowned out.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users