Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

D1 brake line connector woes

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

seldomwright

seldomwright

Seldomwright

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • oakland
  • Lifted 99 Disco 1

Started swapping the brake lines on the 99 D1 today with Goodridge extended ones.  

Right off the bat rear passenger line unscrewed from brass 4 way connector, but is STUCK... as in freely spinning, unscrewed but connected... 2/8th's of an inch out, and cannot be removed and cannot be re inserted.  WTF.  

No amount of twisting either way, or coaxing it with force while unscrewing works.  Best guess is female threads on the brass 4 way got weird and are now somehow binding the damn thing.  Maddening.  

Anyone have experience w this?  Seems easy enough to buy/make a brass 4 way metric 10x1... but is it that simple?  The actual part is hard to find, and usually in Britain.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Sounds like it's well and truly stripped - Time for a little parts shopping at the local Pick N Pull.  You can just cut the replacement out leaving the lines attached until you can get it back to your shop and carefully work the fittings free where you have easy access to avoid a repeat.   I haven't had to replace that particular piece but I've done enough similar things to know you're not really going to want to heli-coil it unless you're desperate.  At least you don't need the brake line since you're replacing it anyway, just the junction block.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

seldomwright

seldomwright

Seldomwright

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • oakland
  • Lifted 99 Disco 1

Yep, stripped it.  

Finally got the entire thing off, with much aggression involved, and the offending threads are toast.

Exciting!

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Aluminum is good about that.  :(

Don

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery

Yep, stripped it.

Finally got the entire thing off, with much aggression involved, and the offending threads are toast.

Exciting!

I started to do that and the neighbor and I caught it in time. I had to use a die and clean the threads as it started to cross thread with the junk on it.

LR direct does carry them but not the cheapest parts.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

seldomwright

seldomwright

Seldomwright

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • oakland
  • Lifted 99 Disco 1

Pick N Pull in Fremont came through, fourteen bucks for the part!  Got some other tid bits too.  

So the rear is done, very happy.  Front is almost there, and my back hurts from laying is damn driveway.  

They also have a D2 on the sale lot for $1400 if anybody's lookin', no idea of the details.  

[/url]FullSizeRender 5 by seldom wright, on Flickr">https://26179595909_8f6ef45051_k.jpgFullSizeRender 5 by seldom wright, on Flickr

seldomwright

seldomwright

Seldomwright

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • oakland
  • Lifted 99 Disco 1

Looking at that picture i just posted, should I free up that electrical brake sensor wire too? Give it some breathing room?   I haven't measured it but it looks taught in the picture.  

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery

Looking at that picture i just posted, should I free up that electrical brake sensor wire too? Give it some breathing room? I haven't measured it but it looks taught in the picture.

That flexes back and forth...so not as critical as a front brake lines for example but any movement you can create I've found helps. Are you installing a suspension system?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

seldomwright

seldomwright

Seldomwright

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • oakland
  • Lifted 99 Disco 1

Jethro, I suppose so, or getting there.  I have TF HD springs, 1" spacers front and rear, sway bars intact but front links are lowered 2", shocks are OME Nitro Chargers.  32" BFG's.  Steering bits are all replaced with TF,  but radius arms are stock.  I think there's about 6 to 7 inches between rubber and outer fender lip.

Figured w the sway bars intact brake lines were not a huge issue, but trying to get her done properly, slowly.

Been watching NCLR Rubicon vids on Youtube for the past hour.  A tad obsessed.

Edited by seldomwright, 26 October 2017 - 09:58 PM.

• Jethro likes this

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

We occasionally pop the ABS connections when we go for a Saturday drive ....

14095931_1166493173413856_31770072695585

• Jethro likes this

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Been watching NCLR Rubicon vids on Youtube for the past hour.  A tad obsessed.

You know, we might just squeeze in a day up there before the snow comes....just a quick in/out to play around a bit.

*watch this space*

Don

seldomwright

seldomwright

Seldomwright

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • oakland
  • Lifted 99 Disco 1

Sounds awesome!  I would definitely be down to join in.  

Edited by seldomwright, 27 October 2017 - 04:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users