Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

CHP Inspection

- - - - - chp inspection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

SplurGn

SplurGn

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • San Jose
  • 1985 Defender 90
Hello! As I begin to prep my D90 for the CHP Vehicle Inspection, I am wondering, does everyone know what it all entails?

I am currently working on all my lights, and blinkers, making sure everything is working properly.

Do you know if I need to replace my Km speedometer to a mph speedometer? Any insight/ tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I did the inspection earlier this year but as it was a US truck I didn't worry about any of those things.  The one thing I had to deal with was that they need two VINs and on my truck the suspension mods covered up the chassis stamp they were looking for.

So far as I know they are really only looking at the VIN.  

I tried to do it at AAA first and all they checked was VIN, but since they couldn't find a second one they sent me to the DMV.  Same thing there, so they sent me to the CHP who required an appointment with a several week lead time.  

• PaulD and SplurGn like this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

SplurGn

SplurGn

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • San Jose
  • 1985 Defender 90

I did the inspection earlier this year but as it was a US truck I didn't worry about any of those things.  The one thing I had to deal with was that they need two VINs and on my truck the suspension mods covered up the chassis stamp they were looking for.

So far as I know they are really only looking at the VIN.  

I tried to do it at AAA first and all they checked was VIN, but since they couldn't find a second one they sent me to the DMV.  Same thing there, so they sent me to the CHP who required an appointment with a several week lead time.

Thank you Don...

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

Yo dude,

Are you getting a CARB sticker? Was this car registered for another year at least in another state? If you walk into a DMV and they will notice its an import having one less VIN digit than they expect, they will take a long hard look at the obviously strange car, they will ask you for the emissions sticker for CARB,  they will flag your VIN and you won't be able to get it registered. If they notice its imported they will basically cost you a lot of money... 

Edited by DiscoDavis, 14 November 2017 - 03:34 PM.

• Jethro likes this

:lr:

2006 Discovery 3(Build Thread)

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Instagram: CondorDavis

23669857085_fe30f0934c.jpg

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

Yo dude,

Are you getting a CARB sticker? Was this car registered for another year at least in another state? If you walk into a DMV and they will notice its an import having one less VIN digit than they expect, they will take a long hard look at the obviously strange car, they will ask you for the emissions sticker for CARB,  they will flag your VIN and you won't be able to get it registered. If they notice its imported they will basically cost you a lot of money... 

SpluGn to confirm.. but I believe he's already done the DMV visit. 

Chris

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

Hope he makes it. I will be amazed if he gets plates with no CARB and no courier use. 

:lr:

2006 Discovery 3(Build Thread)

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Instagram: CondorDavis

23669857085_fe30f0934c.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users