Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Retrofit LR4 Backup Camera

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

BuckinghamBill

BuckinghamBill

-

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Oakland, CA
  • 2010 LR4 HSE

My 2010 LR4 doesn't have a backup camera and the wife would really like one. 

From some initial research, I'm seeing that you can retrofit a back up camera and then code the truck's config file to Backup Camera Fitted in order to enable the camera and it's a relatively straightforward retrofit.

There's an OEM part for sale on eBay: https://www.ebay.com...er/162756427333

Anyone have any thoughts on this? 

---
2010 LR4 HSE in Buckingham Blue
38k miles as of Feb 2017

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I've never messed with the audio or nav systems myself.  I'm assuming you have the factory nav screen already, but I'm not sure if there's a video input on it directly or not.  I suspect the camera plugs into a separate processor first.  Also, I'm not sure if the camera's output is a standard video cable or if it's something proprietary so you may want to look into that.  You may need more than just the camera.

• BuckinghamBill likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
There are some WiFi versions available now that connect with your phone or tablet and run off batteries. Considered it for the D1 and may do eventually...think it would be nice on the trail too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuckinghamBill

BuckinghamBill

-

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Oakland, CA
  • 2010 LR4 HSE

Just found this thread on how to do exactly what I was hoping to do. Definitely more work than I was expecting. Thought the truck would be pre-wired with the coax cable for the video feed. May need to take it to someone as I'm not comfortable DIY this one.

http://www.disco3.co...opic115469.html

There are some WiFi versions available now that connect with your phone or tablet and run off batteries. Considered it for the D1 and may do eventually...think it would be nice on the trail too.

This is def an option, though being an iPhone user, I'm not aware of any that wouldn't be clunky to use.... e.g. first open the app, then put in reverse, etc. Let me know if you've come across any good options in your research.

Edited by BuckinghamBill, 30 November 2017 - 12:41 PM.

---
2010 LR4 HSE in Buckingham Blue
38k miles as of Feb 2017

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,424 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Just found this thread on how to do exactly what I was hoping to do. Definitely more work than I was expecting. Thought the truck would be pre-wired with the coax cable for the video feed. May need to take it to someone as I'm not comfortable DIY this one.

http://www.disco3.co...opic115469.html

This is def an option, though being an iPhone user, I'm not aware of any that wouldn't be clunky to use.... e.g. first open the app, then put in reverse, etc. Let me know if you've come across any good options in your research.

Reading through the thread on Disco3 it looks straightforward if you purchase the camera and two LR factory looms... the other bit is the coax which will probably mean the headliner needs to come down or be moved to stuff the cable behind it.

The harder part might be the work to get the coax behind the dash... sounds like a cool project for a wrenching day though.

I agree that no 3rd party kit will compare to having the actual LR factory kit installed... 

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover
You know who would be good to talk to is Nils. I can’t recall exactly but he installed a back up camera on his LR3. His set up was really good. He might even be willing to help install one for you.

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users