Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Busted rear shock after lift

- - - - - disco 1 lifted spacers bump stop shocks

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

seldomwright

seldomwright

Seldomwright

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • oakland
  • Lifted 99 Disco 1

Hey guys.

So I broke a OME nitro shock the other day down at Hollister.  Need some advice on whether it was over stretched or crushed.  

HD springs with 1" spacers front and rear, shock lowering kits front and rear, sway bars still connected.  No bump stop mods.

Shock broke but was still charged, spring got dislocated, spring got put back in, shock then popped, piston fell and fluid everywhere.  

So my question is did this happen because the bump stop was not adjusted, letting the shock get crushed?  Or did it flex too far and yank the shock too hard, thus breaking the top weld?  

Thoughts?  

Second question, what shocks next?  Thinking the adjustable TF ones Jethro spoke of in the recent RRC shock post by Dino.

Thanks! -Chris

http://38210220825_83d4717f10_b.jpgIMG_1438 by seldom wright, on Flickr

Edited by seldomwright, 16 December 2017 - 09:33 AM.

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

HD springs with 1" spacers front and rear, shock lowering kits front and rear, sway bars still connected.  No bump stop mods.

Shock broke but was still charged, spring got dislocated, spring got put back in, shock then popped, piston fell and fluid everywhere.  

So my question is did this happen because the bump stop was not adjusted, letting the shock get crushed?  Or did it flex too far and yank the shock too hard, thus breaking the top weld?  

Thoughts?  

Neither.  Looks like the flex tore the eye off the weld.  The eyes have limited flex in the left-right direction.  That's the reason we recommend pin-to-pin dampers, but this is like the oil debate .... everyone has their own opinions.

Damper lowering mounts will make this work as the shock is shorter.  Leaving the dampers high means you can have a longer shock, increasing travel and decreasing angle.  Ours are actually moved upwards.  That's how we achieve the flex seen here (and elsewhere on this forum). https://www.facebook.com/RoverWare/

[edit:  I think you have your retaining washer on the wrong way too, but not sure from the pic]

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeWare, 16 December 2017 - 10:14 AM.

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

seldomwright

seldomwright

Seldomwright

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • oakland
  • Lifted 99 Disco 1

Well hot damn, I had no idea.  Thanks Graeme.  I didn't realize that about the pin to pin or pin to eye problem.  Looks like I'll be sending you some money soon!  I thought I had solved my problem by installing the TF shock lowering mounts.  These did make the ride better, and smooth out driving over speed bumps.

So what shock would you recommend for this situation, once I have you'r shock mount? And what length? 

Thanks! 

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

So what shock would you recommend for this situation, once I have you'r shock mount? And what length? 

Are you going to be at Catahoula tomorrow?  This is a long conversation with no one answer.  Hard to condense to the written word.  If that were possible, I'd publish a book and make a fortune!

Regards,

Graeme

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,

seldomwright

seldomwright

Seldomwright

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • oakland
  • Lifted 99 Disco 1

The coffee shop? When and where?

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

The coffee shop? When and where?

http://norcalrovers....orth-bay/page-2

seldomwright

seldomwright

Seldomwright

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • oakland
  • Lifted 99 Disco 1

ah  ha... sadly I do not have permission to view that page.  I haven't dropped the dough on a membership. DM me if possible.  Thanks either way!

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

ah  ha... sadly I do not have permission to view that page.  I haven't dropped the dough on a membership. DM me if possible.  Thanks either way!

Now there's a reason to join!  I'll invite you as a guest.  9:00am tomorrow.  Catahoula Coffee: 12472 San Pablo Ave

There will be special Land Rover parking in the Merry Maids lot next door.

I'll look our for you Chris.

Regards,

Graeme

• RedRover likes this

seldomwright

seldomwright

Seldomwright

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • oakland
  • Lifted 99 Disco 1

Awesome.  I swing by for sure! 

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
Seems like Graeme has you sorted. One he does know well by watching his trucks is how to set up flex!

Speaking of that...Rene was interested in getting more articulation from his D2...thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Seems like Graeme has you sorted. One he does know well by watching his trucks is how to set up flex!

Speaking of that...Rene was interested in getting more articulation from his D2...thoughts?

The cheapest way is to buy a D1 .... but I have other ways too!

Graeme

• RedRover and Jethro like this

seldomwright

seldomwright

Seldomwright

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • oakland
  • Lifted 99 Disco 1

Thanks Graeme, and awesome meeting you guys the other day over coffee.  

You have any idea where to source the specific OME shocks Gwyn Lewis sells here in the US?  There's a lot of part number discrepancies between the few UK sites that sell the long travel plus 5" pin/pin shocks... and what the ARB website says it has.  Contacting ARB now actually to get to the bottom of it.  Shouldn't be so difficult!  

Edited by seldomwright, 19 December 2017 - 12:48 PM.

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts
It is a little complex. Gwyn also modifies them with his own hardware. He's a great guy; and we do a lot if business with him.

Graeme

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,288 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Thanks Graeme, and awesome meeting you guys the other day over coffee.  

You have any idea where to source the specific OME shocks Gwyn Lewis sells here in the US?  There's a lot of part number discrepancies between the few UK sites that sell the long travel plus 5" pin/pin shocks... and what the ARB website says it has.  Contacting ARB now actually to get to the bottom of it.  Shouldn't be so difficult!  

I don't think I'd be using ARB as my reference point for a long-travel Rover.  They certainly aren't into the rock crawling world in any way shape or form.    If Graeme can't sort you out try talking to GBR or RTE.  Even Lucky8 would likely be a better resource than ARB.

• Jethro likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts
Actually OME .... or did one company buy the other when I wasn't looking?

Graeme
  • Jethro likes this

Elherbinator

Elherbinator

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • San jose
  • Discovery 2

Actually OME .... or did one company buy the other when I wasn't looking?

Graeme

I think ARB started OME

• Jethro likes this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,288 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Yeah, pretty sure OME is a subset of ARB.

Regardless, ARB/OME isn't exactly about max-travel suspensions.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Yeah, pretty sure OME is a subset of ARB.

Regardless, ARB/OME isn't exactly about max-travel suspensions.

My (Internet) research shows that OME sold out .... shame.

They are still one of the best dampers (or shock absorbers for the non-scientific) for Land Rovers.  Over-priced, but the valving is near perfect for everyday use.

Regards,

Graeme

seldomwright

seldomwright

Seldomwright

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • oakland
  • Lifted 99 Disco 1

Yeah Gwyn Lewis' site says he adds/supplies "bush isolation washers" I think... so I'll have to figure that out after I whack off the existing locating cups on the D1 lower shock mount.  I ended up ordering the OME dampers from 4wheelparts here in Oakland, and I'll confirm if the part number is correct once they arrive.  Here's some pics of the failure point on the NitroChargers I was running.  The point of failure seems to be just press fit and not welded, which is interesting.

I had to drive home from Panoche Hills area yesterday after the second damper broke in the same fashion, and it was a terrifying and slow two hour trip, with the back of the truck bouncing wildly out of control at the slightest bump in the road, and with the steering freaking out as well.  Almost considered having it towed but I persevered and hobbled home.  

Do not drive a truck with no rear shocks/dampers.  You will likely perish.

Side note, the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) also shat the bed on the same trip, while heading up the Altamont Pass.  The truck's motor behaving like a governor was being turned on repeatedly, with timed intervals of loss of power... it was horrible.  It was occurring every few seconds for almost a full minute, almost underivable.  Unplugged it.  Drove the rest of the way to Panoche with not problem, and no speedo.

When it rains it pours.

http://24345154997_39d70794dd_b.jpgIMG_1493 by seldom wright, on Flickr

[/url]IMG_1495 by seldom wright, on Flickr">http://24345157227_0f45be7611_b.jpgIMG_1495 by seldom wright, on Flickr

Edited by seldomwright, 21 December 2017 - 04:53 PM.

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery

Yeah Gwyn Lewis' site says he adds/supplies "bush isolation washers" I think... so I'll have to figure that out after I whack off the existing locating cups on the D1 lower shock mount. I ended up ordering the OME dampers from 4wheelparts here in Oakland, and I'll confirm if the part number is correct once they arrive. Here's some pics of the failure point on the NitroChargers I was running. The point of failure seems to be just press fit and not welded, which is interesting.

I had to drive home from Panoche Hills area yesterday after the second damper broke in the same fashion, and it was a terrifying and slow two hour trip, with the back of the truck bouncing wildly out of control at the slightest bump in the road, and with the steering freaking out as well. Almost considered having it towed but I persevered and hobbled home.

Do not drive a truck with no rear shocks/dampers. You will likely perish.

Side note, the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) also shat the bed on the same trip, while heading up the Altamont Pass. The truck's motor behaving like a governor was being turned on repeatedly, with timed intervals of loss of power... it was horrible. It was occurring every few seconds for almost a full minute, almost underivable. Unplugged it. Drove the rest of the way to Panoche with not problem, and no speedo.

When it rains it pours.

http://24345154997_39d70794dd_b.jpgIMG_1493 by seldom wright, on Flickr
[/url]IMG_1495 by seldom wright, on Flickr">http://24345157227_0f45be7611_b.jpgIMG_1495 by seldom wright, on Flickr

Gwyn Lewis also sells on his eBay website too if it's something Graeme isn't able to help with.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: disco 1, lifted, spacers, bump stop, shocks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users