Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Sunroof leaks

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

alpaca

alpaca

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I had tried to clear the drains a couple of times but the amount of water passing through the seal was still overwhelming the rain gutter inside the roof - and causing water to flood down the a pillar (now I need to remove that and Reglue the fabric ) . Anyway , I decided to “lube” the rubber seal around the glass roof with “gummi pflege” some German product you can buy on amazon .... now in this latest storm - looks like i’m Dry ! Hopefully that lasts a while.
  • astateofmike and Disco2Guy like this

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2006 RRS
2002 911

2003 E46
2008 C300

2015 Cherokee

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

Ahh, the sunroof.  Adding my RRC's solid top was one of my best decisions as it always had issues.  

Congrats on the success!  May it stay.

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,292 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Amazingly my LR3 sunroof hasn't leaked on me.  Yet.  It currently has some other major issues, like a wheel bearing that's seized, but a water leak isn't one of them.

Glad you're high and dry!

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

I went through this two years ago and had the tubes replaced with "2016 LR4 drainage tubes"... supposedly they are better the dealer tells me.  It was done under warranty but still...  :mellow:

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,454 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

I think it's weird that after all the years cars (even non-Land Rovers) have had sunroofs, we're still plagued with a deficient drainage design that allows water to enter the vehicle when it fails...  :blink:  :rolleyes:  maybe tubes and tiny holes for runoff aren't the answer...

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts
More weird is why cars are made with them.

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,292 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

More weird is why cars are made with them.

Graeme

here here!

Don

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Whoa. No. Sunroofs are awesome and every car should have them. 

Land Rover is the only company I've seen that seems to have such consistent problems with drainage on them. 

• RedRover likes this

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2007 Mercedes GL320 Diesel // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

"Can you make it work?" - "Made by the English...let's not get our hopes up."

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,454 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
I was about to say, do you not live in NorCal in the spring or summer? Having a sunroof is inferior only to a convertible...

Now a Land Rover in the middle of Wales or Scotland with a sunroof, I agree, what’s the point? But here in California it’s a good thing.

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

I was about to say, do you not live in NorCal in the spring or summer? Having a sunroof is inferior only to a convertible...

Now a Land Rover in the middle of Wales or Scotland with a sunroof, I agree, what’s the point? But here in California it’s a good thing.

Both of which, IMO, are inferior to a proper targa top. I'm not huge on convertibles since they have so much shake and noise all the time, but Brittany loves them and has had a few. 

My first car was a Supra with a targa top and I LOVED that. Silent and rigid like a hardtop at speed, and all the fun of a convertible in the sun. And, you could use it with the top off in colder weather since the interior is a bit more sheltered. Miss that car. :(

2009 Range Rover Sport // 2007 Mercedes GL320 Diesel // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,292 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Baaa..... I don't go for convertibles either.  Can't take them to the track unless you install a roll bar that's taller than your helmet, which means the convertible won't actually be able to be put up.  

If you want wind in your face use 2 wheels.  Otherwise I'll take a full tin top thankyouverymuch.

Don Happel - crumudgen

Don

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Baaa..... I don't go for convertibles either.  Can't take them to the track unless you install a roll bar that's taller than your helmet, which means the convertible won't actually be able to be put up.  

If you want wind in your face use 2 wheels.  Otherwise I'll take a full tin top thankyouverymuch.

Don Happel - crumudgen

Depends. Many tracks will allow BMWs with the active roll bars. Of course, I've also heard of people being exuberant enough at said track days to deploy the roll bar system through the rear window....oops.  But yeah, I'm not big on them.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,292 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I didn't know that.  When I was with the Alfa or Porsche clubs it was bar 2" (?) over your helmet.  When I was with the BMW club I never looked into it so I don't know their policy.  

For a while I did have a Spider with a bar that fit under the roof, but I never tracked it.  It was an autocross car, so they didn't require a bar at all.

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users