Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Need new key and FOB

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

MarcS

MarcS

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • San Jose
  • 2003 Discovery II

I have a key blank and fob for my '03 Discovery but I need a place to cut the key and program the remote. I called the San Jose Rover dealer and the lady said it would be $250 to program it, an additional charge to cut the key and that the next available appointment was a week away. I'd rather not pay that much or wait that long if at all possible.

Is it possible to program the remote with my Hawkeye tool?

I called Cerrone's in Redwood City and he can't do both tasks.

Any advice on what I can do to get this done quickly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc

Marc Soulie

Spartan Precision Rifles

San Jose, CA

408-451-9850

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Do you still have a working key and fob? If so, there are places that will "clone" them to new ones. Basically, instead of programming the car to recognize two separate remotes, it copies everything from the working remotes to the cloned ones so the car always thinks it's just the one fob being used. There was a place on the Peninsula we had do it for a Jag a few years back. It was $75 to buy a new key, new fob, and have them cloned to the existing. 

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2007 Mercedes GL320 Diesel // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

"Can you make it work?" - "Made by the English...let's not get our hopes up."

MarcS

MarcS

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • San Jose
  • 2003 Discovery II

No I only have one worn out key and the remote has never worked. It's all the owner had when I bought the vehicle.  For the last few months it's been difficult to operate the door lock and now it's so unreliable that I just don't lock it anymore. It's also a little tricky to get it to turn in the ignition but works after jiggling it around some.

Marc

Marc Soulie

Spartan Precision Rifles

San Jose, CA

408-451-9850

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts
The remote doesn't get programmed, the car does. Any locksmith can cut it.
Have you got the tag with it, or only the internal barcode? Some programmers need the long code.
Hawkeye cannot do keys.

Try Colin at CT Motorwerks, I think he can help you.

Ignition lock can be removed and the levers filed to make them work more smoothly. Worst part is removing the two shear bolts to get the cylinder out.

Graeme

Edited by GraemeWare, 12 January 2018 - 04:00 PM.

• Disco2Guy and MarcS like this

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users