Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

RovrFlo

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Disco12

Disco12

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Awesome Brenton I'm glad it worked out for you.:cool::)

I saw your D2 at the cerrones on thursday.
1996 D1 "J crawler"
custom front/ rear slimline bumpers
Rovertym 3" with all the "goodies"
33x10.50 BFG MUDS with "crawler" wheels
Rovertracks/Rovertym HD steering
more to come!
:P

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Big thanks to Gary on this one!! In preparing for the trip to Pismo I really wanted to get this mod finished before I leave. Many months ago he made me the two steel brackets needed to offset the drive mechanism under the seat. Yesterday I finally bought a saw and #8 allen wrench to complete the job. I really love the extra leg room and it makes getting in the truck easier too. Everything went fine except the seat no longer travels forward or back.

I'm going to take a look at it again on Wed., but would appreciate any ideas where to start troubleshooting. I'll start by removing the brackets and checking the travel. The other controls work fine, and the motor is getting juice, so I'm wondering if there is binding somewhere I overlooked.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

PCRover

PCRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
If the motor is trying to move the seat then it has to be something is binding. Take a close look under there and make sure it is all free and clear. If you get down the peninsula this week look me up and we can take a look at it.
Gary

NCLR002
'94 D90

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • KD2RVR
Cool!! I have Wednesday and Thursday off, so if I can't figure it out by then I'd like to take you up on your offer.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • KD2RVR
Even though RovrFlo is without the RTE front bumper for a bit, I had to jump on this deal. An unused Warn XD9000i for $777 shipped. The seller is a fireman in NC, looking to go to EMT school so it felt good helping him out pay for that. I just talked to Tony and he still has one of the LRRForums aluminum fairleads. Sometime (before installation) I'll get the synthetic winch line to replace the steel wire cable that comes with the winch.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

esteban

esteban

Stephen (NCLR049)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Even though RovrFlo is without the RTE front bumper for a bit, I had to jump on this deal. An unused Warn XD9000i for $777 shipped. The seller is a fireman in NC, looking to go to EMT school so it felt good helping him out pay for that. I just talked to Tony and he still has one of the LRRForums aluminum fairleads. Sometime (before installation) I'll get the synthetic winch line to replace the steel wire cable that comes with the winch.

Just use the steel until its' time to replace it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Steve
Burninating the countryside!

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD

Just use the steel until its' time to replace it.

X2! Still using steel on my Defender; when I see wear/tear, will look to synthetic line also!

Congrats on the winch purchase! Will up coming winch safety training during our annual gathering will come in handy!

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • KD2RVR
I might do that, or, sell it unused with the roller fairlead to help cover the cost of the syn line. Either way I'm in no rush right now on either front as this wasn't a planned purchase. Looks like I need to really sell my 16" wheels now. :D

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

esteban

esteban

Stephen (NCLR049)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
You might get $10-$20 bucks for the steel line, most people will just buy a synth line when it comes time for a replacement. That's my plan also.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Steve
Burninating the countryside!

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • KD2RVR
Ah, I see. Didn't realize the cable would go for so little. Thanks for the tips guys!!

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • KD2RVR
So I spent the better part of today rebuilding the planetary gears of the winch. Once I pounded the cover off I immediately saw what the issue was. The lower half of the gears were rusted and the lube looked like it turned into mud. After a long time of degreasing, and wire brushing as much of that junk off as I could, I added fresh Mobil1 lube and re-assembled everything. It works perfectly now!! I have no idea how the water or moisture got into the gears. The winch never installed (or used) by the PO, so it''s not like it went through a river. Also, the other half of the winch (the motor) doesn''t have a sign of any water damage at all. It makes me think there was something with the grease that was in there. Anyways, I found this great article on doing a complete rebuild of a Warn XD9000i online and used that to guide me. Before the winch is installed on my truck I''ll need to replace the motor cap (it got damaged in shipping) and get new seals for the ones on the planetary gear side. Here are a few pics of what I found after opening up the case.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

Disco12

Disco12

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
sweet!:):cool:
1996 D1 "J crawler"
more to come!

PCRover

PCRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
Wow! Sorry to hear about the winch problem. It is one of the facts of buying online, you never know what you are going to find when the item arrives. Sounds like you will get a good winch out of it and an education on how they work.

So I spent the better part of today rebuilding the planetary gears of the winch. Once I pounded the cover off I immediately saw what the issue was. The lower half of the gears were rusted and the lube looked like it turned into mud. After a long time of degreasing, and wire brushing as much of that junk off as I could, I added fresh Mobil1 lube and re-assembled everything. It works perfectly now!! I have no idea how the water or moisture got into the gears. The winch never installed (or used) by the PO, so it''s not like it went through a river. Also, the other half of the winch (the motor) doesn''t have a sign of any water damage at all. It makes me think there was something with the grease that was in there. Anyways, I found this great article on doing a complete rebuild of a Warn XD9000i online and used that to guide me. Before the winch is installed on my truck I''ll need to replace the motor cap (it got damaged in shipping) and get new seals for the ones on the planetary gear side. Here are a few pics of what I found after opening up the case.

Gary

NCLR002
'94 D90

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • KD2RVR
I just got word from Justin at Lucky8 LLC that the QT Services Defender TD5 front diff guard made it through customs and is at his shop. It will be ordered this Friday, and hope to have it sometime next week. I will (obviously) report back on fitment when it arrives.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

Disco12

Disco12

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
sweet.:cool:
1996 D1 "J crawler"
more to come!

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • KD2RVR
Today, the front diff guard arrived from Justin at Lucky8. As far as he knows this is the first time this particular mod has been done in North America. Installing a QT Services Defender TD5 front diff guard on a (NAS) Discovery 2. I got the idea from Nick Gibbons across the pond, who first did the install on his TD5 Discovery 2. The standard front D2 diff guard from QT requires the need to weld two tabs onto the diff cover. Using the Defender TD5 version it is a complete bolt on job.

The install is pretty straight forward. Loosely fit the top bracket with the two bolts from the diff cover. Hand tighten the smaller bolt/washer through the top bracket and into the top of the diff guard. Test fit the two remaining bolts on the end by the drive shaft. Use the bottle jack to position and hold the guard against the housing. Screwdrivers were used to get the holes lined up as much as possible. Tighten the two bolts on the bottom, the two on top, and then the smaller bolt that connects the two pieces of the guard.

Pictures of the install start at the link, just hit the next button to see the rest.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

Disco12

Disco12

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I like that alot! full protection too!:)
1996 D1 "J crawler"
more to come!

HMBRover

HMBRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
Very nice! It looks suspiciously like the Bearmach diff guard I'm running although it appears to cover more in the front. Mine has taken some serious hits and doesn't seem bothered by the experience. I think the QT will work out well for you.
Brian
2004 Discovery II G4 Edition, "Jack" or "General Lee" or "The General"
KØDTJ
Avatar photo by Ron B; Oregon Discovery Trail 2008
NCLR019

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD
I have not read the whole thread, but let us know how much the QT guard plus shipping set up; might be interested!

Thanks Brenton for posting this!

Today, the front diff guard arrived from Justin at Lucky8. As far as he knows this is the first time this particular mod has been done in North America. Installing a QT Services Defender TD5 front diff guard on a (NAS) Discovery 2. I got the idea from Nick Gibbons across the pond, who first did the install on his TD5 Discovery 2. The standard front D2 diff guard from QT requires the need to weld two tabs onto the diff cover. Using the Defender TD5 version it is a complete bolt on job.

The install is pretty straight forward. Loosely fit the top bracket with the two bolts from the diff cover. Hand tighten the smaller bolt/washer through the top bracket and into the top of the diff guard. Test fit the two remaining bolts on the end by the drive shaft. Use the bottle jack to position and hold the guard against the housing. Screwdrivers were used to get the holes lined up as much as possible. Tighten the two bolts on the bottom, the two on top, and then the smaller bolt that connects the two pieces of the guard.

Pictures of the install start at the link, just hit the next button to see the rest.

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • KD2RVR
It was the same cost as their other QT diff guards, $120 + $17 for shipping. I heard back from Justin and he is going to start keeping them in stock and sell them as bolt-on D2 diff guards. He only ordered the one diff guard for me so I'm not sure how long it will take to get another order from QT. I first contacted him in mid-August about this. I'd call Justin to get an eta on his next shipment.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users