Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

My kind of RV

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004
What about this Fire and Ice thing Jim?

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
Fire & Ice is just what it says. Flaming hoops & skiiers & snowboarders to trick & jumps through the hoops. It really looks better on the large screens around the square. I did mention we're getting great food here. Riley is another reason I enjoy coming to the food tent. She's one of the locals who took 3 weeks off their regular gigs to hang out with a bunch of crazy tv people from around the world. The concerts have been great also. I saw Devo 2 evenings ago. They may be getting older, but they can still play pretty good. I went for the hat.

Only 4 more days up here. I'm really missing Northern California and my Rover.

Attached Files

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
Well this gig is just about over. Last Alpine events finished. Just need to go in tomorrow and pack up the wireless receivers we were experimenting with. Overall, the managers are very pleased that everything worked technically as far as television goes.

I had an off day 2 days ago & I went to Vancouver to visit my sister in-law and we walked all around. You can see the hockey venue (smaller dome) next to BC Place (Larger dome) in these shots from the Olympic Village. (Pics 1 & 2) You may recognize the top of the convention center with it's peaks. That is where the IBC (International Broadcast Centere) is located. All broadcasts are sent here to be sent to fiber lines or satellite up-links. Here's a shot of the sat dishes (Pic 3 & 4). My sister in-law isn't shy about picking up a microphone. She does professional voice work in Vancouver.

Just under 48 hours until I return to the bay area. I've had enough fun in the mountains. Still the best gig ever!

Attached Files

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
Quick Wrap up and some links to pictures. Glad to be back in the Bay Area, still the best place on Earth. I had so much fun up in Vancouver that I can't really call it work. Of the 22 day there, I spent 4 in downtown Vancouver and saw most of the sights, then 18 day in the mountain resort of Whistler. Of those 18 days, 12 were competition days but not all went as planned. Weather closed down the course on the 1st 2 days of scheduled competition. Bad weather for downhill racers means great conditions for us snowboarders. I took advantage of a few freebies and got a 5-day lift ticket free. Here's a shot of no one on the slopes (pic 1).

It was like 1 big party in Whistler. Here's a shot of the Whistler Live stage before the crowds arrived (pic 2). Here's the same square as the Barenaked Ladies played (pic 3). Most of the bars and restaurants I went into looked like this (pic 4).
The medal ceremonies were equally as packed (pic 5, 6). I saw my share of Mounties too (pic 7). And the hotel was really nice. Here's view from my room on the 9th floor of the Westin (pic 8). They fed us well at the venue. Here's our food tent at breakfast (pic 9).

After the last broadcast, everyone is striking all the cables and equipment (pic 10). Glad I was only partially involved in that part. I hope you enjoyed my backstage look at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics.

For more photos of the Olympics from a non-news source, check out the kitskam link below.
http://thelastminute...lympics-photos/
CTV has video of most events on line: http://www.ctvolympics.ca/index.html

Enjoy

Attached Files

Edited by MrVideo, 10 March 2010 - 02:22 PM.
add link

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
Greetings all,

I was sent this link about the new technology that we can all buy off the shelf, is now being used on ESPN's shows. Looking forward to having an iPad next to my graphics machine this year!
http://www.engadget....pad-and-xbox-3/

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
It's that time of year again. College Football begins this weekend and I'm on the road again. Of course I'll be bringing my NCLR sweatshirt with me. First up is Toledo, OH this Friday night. Next week we go to Marshall, WV, then Hattisburg, MS. Stay tuned for photos and more. Maybe I need a new sweatshirt...

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004
yes, one with additional ventilation holes......

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
So week 1 went about as well as most of us could hope for. There were a number of technical issues which made us grateful for 2 set day for the 1st week. In the end, we got on the air at 8 ET, we covered a game, made 0 mistakes & no one got hurt. Off to a slow start on the scenic front. We have 2 graphics machines on our show and 1 of them was down most of the 2 set days and 2 hours before air. There was a lot of tension in the air as we approached game time and in graphics we were "heads down" until we hit air.

It wasn't until after the show was over that I though of getting a sweatshirt shot. So here is the NCLR sweatshirt at Toledo Stadium after the game....they got blown out 41-2.

Attached Files

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
A very interesting week in West Virginia. We were at Marshall University in Huntington, WV. There's a huge history associated with this University as well as a tragedy that effected the football team 40 years ago. ESPN couldn't have scripted a better showcase for drama and excitement. The interstate rivalry between West Virginia Univ. located in Morgantown, WV. Marshall has never beaten WV in football. The widow of the 1970 head coach went to her 1st Marshall football game in 40 years plus, they had 40,000 fans which is the largest crowd in the history of the stadium. All that plus a very good football game that went into overtime made for some good television on a Friday night.

Our runner this week was Courtney who is from Morgantown and a faithful WVU fan. She was very delightful and was happy to pose for my sweatshirt shot. Here she is in front of the stadium at Marshall. It was much too warm for her to wear it.

On my flight out of Huntington, I had the pleasure to sit next to Jack Lengyel who was the coach hired after the fatal plane crash and played by Matthew McConaughey in the movie "We Are Marshall", released in 2006. His only comment on the movie was "I never had long sideburns and I never dressed like a clown". He was a very large man and his National Championship ring was quite impressive.

Next week, it's the deep south. Our game will be in Hattiesburgh, MS. Hope you enjoy.

Attached Files

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
This week our crew was in Hattiesburg, Mississippi for the Kansas & Southern Miss game last night. Traveling to the deep south is never easy, but I guess that's part of the charm. What wasn't so charming was the heat. As soon as I walked off the plane in Gulfport, I wanted to change into shorts & tshirt. I'm always a sucker for a southern drawl, but add the genuine kindness of just about everyone we met and it adds up to a memorable trip. I sometimes wonder what these people think when a group of 30 people arrive at once to make television. One highlight included some of the best BBQ ribs I've ever had. Leatha's BBQ Inn is famous for it's home cooking. If you saw our game, we used video from the kitchen for our billboards in the 2nd half.

This week's NCLR sweatshirt shot is courtesy of the Southern Miss song girls. All the girls wanted to be in the shot so here's a couple for you to enjoy. I then offered the girls a tour of our graphics truck. 3 of them came back to ask how to get an internship with ESPN. My AP, Drew was quick to give out his email to them.

Next week we are in Dallas to work the TCU at SMU game Friday night.

Attached Files

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
[FONT="][FONT=Times New Roman]This week we were in Dallas, TX for the #4 TCU Horned Frogs @ SMU Mustangs football game Friday night. This is our 4th week of the season and we seem to be working like a well oiled machine. Yes, there are some people who like to get upset when things don't go as planned and our assistant director has OCD. Not too irritating like I've experienced in years past.

It was a very warm week in Dallas. I can't think of any other profession where you can show up to work in a t-shirt & shorts. Of course I wore my NCLR Club t-shirt on set day and one of our local utilities comes up and tells me about his '92 Range Rover 2-door. We talked about Rovers during lunch. His is lifted 5" with 42" tires. He tows it behind this Mercedes SUV to most places he off-roads.

On to the pictures, Enjoy

1.) This was the DFW Duel. They play for a rusty skillet.
2.) When I first went down to the field, there was no one around.
3.) Christine is an assistant to the TCU team manager. She agreed to pose on enemy soil.
4.)
[/FONT] Up in the press box. The ESPN broadcast booth is ready for air.
5.) View of empty stadium from press box
6.) Denise is a SMU student working in the press room. She was very gracious and agreed to pose.

Next week I go to Logan, Utah

[/FONT]

Attached Files

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
This week I didn't travel all the way across the country. Our show was in Logan, Utah at Utah State Univ. vs BYU Friday night.

Not much to talk about this place. It's a simple small town in northern Utah about 30 minutes south of the Idaho border. The weather was perfect early football season weather. Yeah we were bored, so we took a drive & here's what we saw.

Pic 1. I always look for a backup shot if I don't find one inside the stadium.
Pic. 2 Just over the Idaho border
Pic. 3 This is Rob & his assistant who were pulling a trailer with his LR3. This is the first in stadium Rover shot of this series.
Pic. 4 Rob has owned 5 Rovers and just returned from Moab the weekend before. We talked Rovers for quite some time at strike.
Pic. 5 Cheerleaders are so overrated. Erika is a student at USU in the sports marketing program.

Next week we go to Rutgers, NJ. This has to be the worst venue in our entire schedule. Rude, obnoxious and seriously overrated football program and they act as if we're being allowed to televise their games.

In a few weeks I may be taking a side trip where my NCLR sweatshirt has never been before...stay tuned.

Attached Files

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD
Way to go Jim; keep it up. Good way to keep members checking in or checking out NCLR on occassion. I like the Land Rover talk and pictures added in the mix.

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

Jantiz

Jantiz

Luis (NCLR079)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
On the last set from Logan Utah, I thought for a moment my LR3 had snuck out in the night to a game and didn't take me :) I think it's time perhaps for a change of title to the thread. I vote for: "The brotherhood of the traveling Sweatshirt"
"Sharky" / "Darth Vader"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Luis

'07 LR3 SE / '06 LR3 HSE

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
It's been quite a busy past few weeks. Traveling Wednesday thru Saturday, then squeezing in activities such as attending the annual event, Pacificon, playoff baseball & family events has taken it's toll and I've not been at my best lately. This week we were in Cincinnati, Ohio for our Friday Night Football show. The campus there is one of the most interesting I've visited over the years. The football stadium is squeezed in the middle of the campus and open to walk through any time.

This week's sweatshirt shot is courtesy of the South Florida Cheerleaders. They were very happy to do the standard pose, but these young ladies upped the ante a little.

Next week promises to be jammed packed with opportunity for new and exciting NCLR Club sweatshirt shots. We will be at UConn for the West Virginia @ UConn game Friday Night. Friday morning, I'm driving a short distance to the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) headquarters for a tour and shoot some video. I've also been granted operation use of station W1AW sometime around 11 am ET. I'm hoping to reach out to my ham friends from here if 20 meters is open.

After our game Friday (really early Saturday AM when we wrap up), a friend & I are driving down to Washington DC to partake in the Comedy Central rally on the National Mall. I hope a have a new category of shots to share with you soon. This is what makes up for flying 4+ hours sitting next to a woman with a newborn child yesterday.

Until next time, enjoy

Attached Files

KSuttle

KSuttle

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Dude...you must get a shot of Stewart with an NCLR sweatshirt!

Kevin Suttle
KJ6IBK

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"His" - 2005 LR3 aka "The StormTrooper" - Coil Suspension, Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60R18's, RS Stage 1 Sliders, Safari Snorkel, Hannibal Roof Rack
"Hers" - 2007 LR3 SE7 aka "The Adventurer" - BFG 265/65R18's, RS Stage 3 Sliders, ARB Deluxe Winch Bull Bar, BajaRack RTT Roof Rack

HMBRover

HMBRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Friday morning, I'm driving a short distance to the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) headquarters for a tour and shoot some video. I've also been granted operation use of station W1AW sometime around 11 am ET. I'm hoping to reach out to my ham friends from here if 20 meters is open.

That's great, Jim. I'm sure it will be a blast! 20 meters was open this morning at 8 AM (PDT) to the east coast but signals were weak. Hopefully conditions will continue to be good. W1AW always has a good signal out here. I'll try to give a listen for you starting about 8 AM (11 AM EDT) between 14.225 and 14.300 MHz.

Good luck!
Brian
2004 Discovery II G4 Edition, "Jack" or "General Lee" or "The General"
KØDTJ
Avatar photo by Ron B; Oregon Discovery Trail 2008
NCLR019

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
A few weeks have passed since my last posting about my travels. There's been lots going on in addition to the weekly routine of travel Wed. thru Sat. Our trip to Connecticut was full of excitement from the beginning. UConn is in East Hartford and ESPN's headquarters is in Bristol, just 30 minutes down the road. All day long, streams of people I'd never met but have spoken to over the phone or swapped emails for many years were showing up to say hi. Over in the A unit, there was a loud bang & smoke came poring out of the lower bay. A transformer had practically melted one half of it's housing. The brass at ESPN saw us in our finest as we extinguished the fire, then ran extra power cables so the engineers could re-route the power. An hour of time lost, so we chat amongst ourselves until power is restored. After lunch break the 2nd episode occurred and both trucks were down for another hour as they brought in a portable transformer to power the A unit. We ended up staying until 8 pm getting ready for the next day.

Friday morning I went down to the ARRL headquarters just 15 miles down the road. I brought along our RF audio engineer who is also a ham. The tour was nice as there were just the 2 of us. We had a great chat with the engineers in the lab about D-Star with moved into spectrum reallocation theaory. Great insite to the testing of equipment and new items. We then were let into the historical building where W1AW is located. Talk about a candy store. They have 3 studios and 2-3 radios in each studio. The antennas were impressive also. I wore my NCLR Club sweatshirt while operating.

Our game Friday night almost went into overtime and we were all relieved when a field goal won it for West Virginia with :30 to go. After the game & we strike the entire compound, my friend Russ, audio guy Tuna & myself drove to Washington D.C. to attend the Comedy Central Rally for Sanity and/or Fear. That was a great experience. I only have 1 sweatshirt shot in front of the White House so that will have to do. It was a crazy event and I wish they were more prepared for the crowd. I read that the park service would only allow a permit for 60,000 people. I can easily say there were 250,000 people acting nice to all around and not a single fight. That's amazing in it's self.

The last few weeks I've been to Houston & Moscow, ID. Both places didn't provide any opportunities for a photo shot. This week I go to Boise, ID & next week Reno, NV.

Enjoy

Attached Files

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Good to see the continued updates Jim! I think you should write a book, "There and Back Again, A Sweatshirt's Tale" :P

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

KSuttle

KSuttle

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Good to see the continued updates Jim! I think you should write a book, "There and Back Again, A Sweatshirt's Tale" :P

The question is...does the sweatshirt get washed between trips?

Kevin Suttle
KJ6IBK

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"His" - 2005 LR3 aka "The StormTrooper" - Coil Suspension, Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60R18's, RS Stage 1 Sliders, Safari Snorkel, Hannibal Roof Rack
"Hers" - 2007 LR3 SE7 aka "The Adventurer" - BFG 265/65R18's, RS Stage 3 Sliders, ARB Deluxe Winch Bull Bar, BajaRack RTT Roof Rack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users