Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Living in the Bay Area... Whats it like?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD

Well things didn't go as well as I would have liked. I turned down the position for the one in San Jose. The job was posted as servicing the San Jose "region", but after going through the interview, the job requires 95% travel and 90% of the locations I would be going to would be outside of california. Which means hop on a airplane monday and come back home friday night or saturday morning and do it again the next week. Not my idea of fun. I would have to give up my dog, my hobbies as I would probably be to tired on the weekends to do anything, and it would ruin what little social life I have. In cali all the places I have applied for, announced layoffs. So I am going to stick around Reno for a little while longer, nice no state income tax and cheaper cost of living, Reno.

Good decision Chris to stick around Reno for a lil while. Can't give up man's best friend and hobbies - no way! :)

I read somewhere 40% of CA Bay Area companies are looking to do further staff reduction. Reflects what you were seeing during your interviews. Safer move to stay where you are for now. You have your job dialed in, lower cost of living and have disposable income (=money for hobbies and Land Rovering)!

Like any contraction today; there will be eventually expansion and more job opp - just keep you eye on the position you are looking.

As a side note, if you are thinking of staying longer in Reno, great time to get into realestate as a first time buyer and if you have good credit and can afford it.

For example, REO (bank owned prop) 3bd/2ba condo for $28800: http://reno.craigsli.../985021026.html Tax break vs renting, and future investment!

Welcome back home in Reno!

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

norcal relics

norcal relics

NCLR029

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
THis is funny, if I could get away with it (wife) I'd be in Reno/Carson/Minden so fast your head would spin! Love the desert... You made a good choice, any life change that requires me to give up my dog is a NO GO. My friend is in the IT industry, he lives in his house in Truckee and goes on 2 week stints into the bay area, he rents a room in Oakland. He takes his dog with him everywhere, dog just chills in the car when he's at appointments etc. Another friend lives in Davis and has a studio in San Jose for the work week.

Maybe live in two places for a bit to adjust?
Rovers:
50 Series 1 80" NEVER for sale
83 110 V8 LPG Conversion

ChrisJB

ChrisJB

Christopher (NCLR071)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
I also been reading a few articles regarding the mass exodus of people leaving california for greener pastures. I don't feel all that safe with my job, so this year I am paying off my debt, and putting as much money aside in case I am left without a job. Luckily the cost of living here is low enough I can survive while on unemplyment. As Ron stated for every recession/depression there is always a economic boon. I have been lazy in getting my IT certifications. Yesterday I passed my last exam and received my MCDST certification, next is my MCITP, then MCSA. Need to work on making myself more marketable when the jobs start opening up. I just need to find a decent woman with a job and a car, no meth habit, and didn't turn her uterus into a clown car :eek: yeah I may have to import one of those :D
I have a great work life balance.. Work is my life and it balances my checkbook! :D

My 2004 Land Rover Discovery II Trail Edition and mod info

Facebook Me!

disco97

disco97

NCLR047

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

um...i work at EA. let me know if anything catches your eye and i'd happily refer you - jobs.ea.com. i know someone at sony too.

Chris,
I work in San Carlos and live in San Mateo. San Mateo is about 20 min. (no traffic) south of San Francisco. Traffic can double that time. My commute is about 7 miles and probably 10 min. max. (pretty much unheard of in the bay area.)

My brother works at Sony too. He is "The" Internet Security Guru at Sony . I could talk to him if you are interested. If you lived outside of San Francisco, you could save a bit of money on rent depending on the area you picked. I'll PM you my number. Feel free to call and I can answer any questions you might have too. It would be great to have more people in the club local to hang out with.:D

Josh Fischer
97 D1 5 spd.

disco97

disco97

NCLR047

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

San Jose? Sure it can be tough with a LR and all the toys.....

And Hollister is nice. But what makes it best?

HOCKEY. nuff said.

AMEN!!! GO SHAAAAAARKS!!!!!!!!!

Wings are goin' down Sat!!!!!:mad:

Josh Fischer
97 D1 5 spd.

ChrisJB

ChrisJB

Christopher (NCLR071)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Chris,
I work in San Carlos and live in San Mateo. San Mateo is about 20 min. (no traffic) south of San Francisco. Traffic can double that time. My commute is about 7 miles and probably 10 min. max. (pretty much unheard of in the bay area.)

My brother works at Sony too. He is "The" Internet Security Guru at Sony . I could talk to him if you are interested. If you lived outside of San Francisco, you could save a bit of money on rent depending on the area you picked. I'll PM you my number. Feel free to call and I can answer any questions you might have too. It would be great to have more people in the club local to hang out with.:D

I am waiting for see Sony's earnings for the fiscal year which I believe are due on the 29th. From what I have been reading, looks like they are sitting on almost 1.4 billion in losses for the year. Last month they announced they will be laying off 16000 employees :eek:

Here at Dell I survived the big layoff round as so far we have layed off 15k employees roughly and closed several facilities. I am the only IT guy at my facility, so I am pretty safe as long as they don't shut down the place and outsource it (which can still happen). So right now I am just happy to have a job. So I am going to play the sit and wait game. If I do end up getting layed off, at least ill get a somewhat decent severence package.

I had a dream last night that I got a job at Ames Research Center (another dream job for me) and moved to mountain view, then everyone in the club moved to carson city! lol
I have a great work life balance.. Work is my life and it balances my checkbook! :D

Facebook Me!

stevenmd

stevenmd

NCLR008

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

I just need to find a decent woman with a job and a car, no meth habit, and didn't turn her uterus into a clown car :eek: yeah I may have to import one of those :D

Wow, dude. You should set the bar a little higher!:D You must've had some seriously bad dates lately!

ChrisJB

ChrisJB

Christopher (NCLR071)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Wow, dude. You should set the bar a little higher!:D You must've had some seriously bad dates lately!

If they made a movie on my social life it would be the scariest horror movie you will ever see :)

Facebook Me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users