Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Tires & alignment q.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

DrewW

DrewW

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Y'all,

My '06 LR3 has 25K miles on it and is in need of an alignment and tire rotation. My spare is now on the RR since I gave the prior occupant a nasty slice at Hollister 6 months ago and my front tires have excessive wear on the interior. I was hoping to make them last a bit longer by switching front to back and getting an alignment, but was looking for recommended shops and tires. I checked at a Big-O just for the heck of it and 4 new are 1200 for GoodYears. Hoping to put that cost off a couple of months if possible. Unless I totally destroy them on the 7th in Hollister, again. Oh, I am running all stock right now. Thanks in advance

ChrisJB

ChrisJB

Christopher (NCLR071)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
I have had really good service at Discount Tire (Americas Tire). I purchased my Nitto AT's from them and they were roughly $300 cheaper than the OEM Goodyear HP's. Les Schwab hasn't been too good to me in the past so I personally avoid them. Discount doesnt do any alignments, but I am wondering if thats something Tony can do at his shop? You should def be getting more than 25k on a set of tires. I rotate mine every 3k miles and have no issues with uneven wear and should last 40-50k miles.
I have a great work life balance.. Work is my life and it balances my checkbook! :D

My 2004 Land Rover Discovery II Trail Edition and mod info

Facebook Me!

DrewW

DrewW

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Yeah, I know I should be getting more and when I took DSR into the dealer in Fremont, they said it was normal wear. I didn't think it should be, but there is so little that is covered for tires. I did not keep up on the rotation, so some of that is my fault. Don't think it is 10K miles worth, but all I can do is make sure the next time I get tires, I don't let it happen again. I know when I had my brakes done by Tony he said he did not do alignments, so I have to find someplace else.

Jantiz

Jantiz

Luis (NCLR079)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
Firestone does allignments, balancing and tires, all in one stop, and their prices seem to be reasonable. I would buy the tires from the discount tire-on-line store. Best prices on the internet and they will take the tires back within 30 days if you're not absolutely satisfied for whatever reason. I have not needed an alignment yet, but my balancing has always been good with Firestone. I have over 40k on my Silent Armors with rotation and balance every 7,500, and I expect I should get 15 to 20k more out of them.
"Sharky" / "Darth Vader"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Luis

'07 LR3 SE / '06 LR3 HSE

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Tony has the alignments done at a Napa across the street from the shop. I've also had an alignment done at Big-O. I believe if you purchase tires from Big-O you get lifetime tire rotations for free. Plus they're all over the country so keep the sales info in the glove box and any Big-O across the country can help out if your on a trip or something.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

HMBRover

HMBRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
I had Firestone align my Freelander and was satisfied. I wasn't impressed with the Napa job on the Disco since the steering wheel was a little cockeyed. Easy fix though. :)
Brian
2004 Discovery II G4 Edition, "Jack" or "General Lee" or "The General"
KØDTJ
Avatar photo by Ron B; Oregon Discovery Trail 2008
NCLR019

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
Hey you know what, I had (actually still have) that same issue Brian. My steering wheel is just a few degrees left of dead center. What is the fix? Disconnect from the steering box, straighten the wheel, and re-connect?

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

sasquatch

sasquatch

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
Drew,

Don't waste any time at the Newark Big-O. I recommend Dublin Big-O. Greg Mitchell is the owner and takes exceptional care of my vehicles. I bought my Nitto Terra Grappler's from him as well as a 4 wheel alignment after my lift. He's been my sole supplier for 25 years. He may not be the cheapest, but I'd rather have someone who knows how to install properly - not some 17 year old stoner kid at a discount shop. Tell him David Badillo sent me and he'll take good care of you! Good to see another Newark guy in the club. I drive a Tonga Green LR3 with a front ARB bumper, winch and a couple of Hellas up front. Hope to bump into you!

esteban

esteban

Stephen (NCLR049)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Hey you know what, I had (actually still have) that same issue Brian. My steering wheel is just a few degrees left of dead center. What is the fix? Disconnect from the steering box, straighten the wheel, and re-connect?

Because of your lift, the drag link needs to be lengthened just a tiny bit. That will center you steering wheel. A common problem amongst lifted discos. Mine is a little off-center also, I've just been too lazy to fix it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Steve
Burninating the countryside!

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
Well that makes sense because the steering wheel was straight until the Rover Tracks drag link went in. But, even with the lift and stock drag link my wheel was straight. So what needs to happen? Do you have to unscrew the tre's to lengthen the drag link? Is that why RTE's panhard rod is adjustable too?

esteban

esteban

Stephen (NCLR049)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
You have the rovertracks draglink right? Do you know if one of the TREs is left hand thread and the other right hand? If so you would just have to loosen the jam nuts and adjust the link. PM me if you have any other questions......
Oh, I'm getting the TD5 diffguard from Justin before shaver lake, woohoo!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Steve
Burninating the countryside!

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
Sending PM.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

HMBRover

HMBRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Yes, you need to lengthen the drag link a bit to compensate. My stock drag link is shown in the upper left corner of this picture with the adjustment joint at the far end. Just stop on a level surface with the front wheels (not the steering wheel) as straight as possible. Crawl under there with a couple spanners and loosen the clamps. Then turn the adjustment rod to lengthen the drag link. Maybe you can figure out which way to turn it by looking at the threads but I did it empirically. Adjust it a little and look to see if the steering wheel is where you want it. Iterate until you are happy then tighten up the clamps. You may need to give it a road test and repeat the adjustment before you are happy with it.

PS: That's the Bearmach diff guard I got from DAP. I think yours looks better but this one works.

Have fun. :)
Brian
KØDTJ
NCLR019

DrewW

DrewW

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Drew,

Don't waste any time at the Newark Big-O. I recommend Dublin Big-O. Greg Mitchell is the owner and takes exceptional care of my vehicles. I bought my Nitto Terra Grappler's from him as well as a 4 wheel alignment after my lift.

I have a neighbor who is a gear head and said the Newark Big-O was not as good as it used to be. The stranger thing is that I have been looking on-line and everywhere i go, I see Toyo, Michelin, Goodyear and Pirelli's but not Nittos. According to Nitto's site, they don't have the size for DSR 255/55 R19. Ideas?

DrewW

DrewW

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I should clarify DSR is not part of tire size, it is what we call my truck "Daddy's Sweet Ride"

HMBRover

HMBRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

"Daddy's Sweet Ride"

Nice! :D:D
Brian
KØDTJ
NCLR019

Jantiz

Jantiz

Luis (NCLR079)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

According to Nitto's site, they don't have the size for DSR 255/55 R19. Ideas?

Drew, I'm fairly sure when big Dave recommended Nittos, he was not talking about staying with same factory 19" size. Somehow I think we all assumed you were looking for better tires. A 255/55/19 is a low profile tire. They ride rough and are close to useless off road. That tinny sidewall can not handle any abuse from rocks or roots without getting sliced and damaging the wheels in the process.

If your dead set on keeping the 19" wheels, the choices are somewhat limited and expensive, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me on that size will chime in with sugestions on 19" tire sizes availabe that will perform well for your vehicle.

The best solution to the tire problem is a change to 18". It's what I did with my HSE just months after buying it new. I actually made a little money after selling my used 19"s an buying the 18"s and have been VERY happy with my desicion ever since.
"Sharky" / "Darth Vader"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Luis

'07 LR3 SE / '06 LR3 HSE

DrewW

DrewW

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Mmmmmm. This raises an interesting issue. I had been planning on getting a set of Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires since I don't get off the beaten path more than once every two months. {I have 3 kids under 6 - I don't get much time to myself} I have to say that since I drive more on-road than off and spend a lot of time on the highways, I was concerned about getting something too rough for the road.

I had a fine time with the OE Wranglers, but that is because I did not seem to get into a lot of 4x4. Only problem I really had was during a muddy season @ Hollister I could not make a couple of climbs. I thought that once I found enough time I would get a new set of rims with some tires that are a bit more aggressive

What is the group's thoughts? I was supposed to go in @ 11 am tomorrow and get new tires. Now you have me thinking I should be looking into something else....

sasquatch

sasquatch

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
What type are you planning to purchase?

DrewW

DrewW

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I was looking at the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users