Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Ham Radio...

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
337 replies to this topic

ColinB

ColinB

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 872 posts
Has anyone used or know anything about the YAESU FT-8900R
http://www.yaesu.com...65&isArchived=0

I would like to get in to a little HF. If i can find one for a good price i might go with that for my Classic.

HAM KJ7RRC
95 LWB RRC 3 inch rte lt-230, 35x12.5/15 bfg km2, GBR 4.14 with trutracs front and rear, Rovertracks front Hd axles and cv's, Ashcroft Hd rear axles,
Rte rear trailing arms,Warn 8k, RTE bumpers front and rear with P-Fab Mods, Flowmaster exhaust ,custom sliders GRB F+R driveshaft, RTE steering links. 12 in Bilstien 7100's

HMBRover

HMBRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
I've never used a FT-8900R but here are a few thoughts:

-- The FT-8900R is FM only. FM is authorized on 10 meters but is generally used only above 29.5 MHz. There are 10 meter repeaters and simplex frequencies and there may be the possibility of long distance (DX) FM contacts - I don't have any experience with that.
-- Generally all the action on HF is on Single Sideband (SSB), a few easy to set up data modes, or CW (Morse code)
-- Technician class licensees are authorized to operate on 10 meters on: 28.0 - 28.3 MHz RTTY (radio teletype) and data modes, 28.3 - 28.5 MHz SSB. It doesn't say anything about FM.

So I'm thinking the FT-8900 may not give you the HF experience you are looking fof. Looks good for VHF/FM though.

Alternatives would be the all band/all mode radios - FT-817 with 5 watts output or the high power version FT-857D or FT897D with 100 watts output. All are much more expensive but give you the full band/mode coverage.

Another alternative would be to go less expensive with a VHF/FM radio for your truck and pick up an older HF radio to play with on 10 meters and when you get your general class license, the other HF bands.

Anyone else have any thoughts/comments??
Brian
2004 Discovery II G4 Edition, "Jack" or "General Lee" or "The General"
KØDTJ
Avatar photo by Ron B; Oregon Discovery Trail 2008
NCLR019

HMBRover

HMBRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

So I heard something great on a Berkeley 70cm repeater. it was someone asking to have a text message sent to Brain Hunt of HMB. I was shocked. what a small world. .

Interesting. I got a call from some ham Wednesday morning relaying a National Traffic System message to me from Kate, K6HTN, in Pasadena who I talked to during an oldies straight key night Morse code session on New Years Eve. Like you say, small world!
Brian
2004 Discovery II G4 Edition, "Jack" or "General Lee" or "The General"
KØDTJ
Avatar photo by Ron B; Oregon Discovery Trail 2008
NCLR019

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR
So all you Hams -- what would you reccomend for a simple handheld - I'd be OK with 2M only, fairly decent range -- rechargeable from the rig via battery. Simple operation, somewhat rugged. Some simple memory banks and repeater programming capability, but nothing elaborate. Linda is studying for her HAM license and I'd like to give her one she can raise us on from camp. I have my Yaesu handheld tri-band that is way too complex.
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

MichaelBeaver

MichaelBeaver

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
I have the Wouxun (440/2m) that is quite affordable (120$) and has decent range with an upgraded antenna (35$).

I also have a Puxing 777+, 2m, (67$ shipped) to use as a quick grab/spotting HT.

Both can handle repeater and the programming software is free (I have the cables for both).. The Wouxun has quite a few advanced features that has really spoiled me..

I would buy both again in a heartbeat.

Edited by MichaelBeaver, 01 February 2012 - 10:56 AM.

Beaver (Twitter: @darthbeaver)

LR Street Cred:
2000 Discovery II - 3" TerraFirma Lift, AMV solenoid CDL, BajaRack Expedition Rack, Dual Battery
2010 Range Rover Sport
1990 RRC Trailer "Land Trailer"
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Dream. Explore. Discover." ~ Mark Twain

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
Chuck,

Check out the Kenwood TH-F6A and compare it's size to all the others out there. Mine has been very durable with me taking it across country weekly.
My son has the Wouxun that Beaver mentioned. It's a basic operating radio but programming is a bit of a pain. I've noticed that audio from them sounds like old AM radio.
I have a friend who is an Extra and she found a Boufang (SP?) radio the size of her cell phone that she keeps in her purse.

ColinB

ColinB

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 872 posts
Just got my new call sign. new one is KJ7RRC. Got my vanity approved.

HAM KJ7RRC
95 LWB RRC 3 inch rte lt-230, 35x12.5/15 bfg km2, GBR 4.14 with trutracs front and rear, Rovertracks front Hd axles and cv's, Ashcroft Hd rear axles,
Rte rear trailing arms,Warn 8k, RTE bumpers front and rear with P-Fab Mods, Flowmaster exhaust ,custom sliders GRB F+R driveshaft, RTE steering links. 12 in Bilstien 7100's

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Sweet!

I did my application a few weeks ago but I guess didn't submit the application properly. It is the most unusable website I have been on! Leave it to the FCC to make everything complicated...

So, I guess I officially submitted it yesterday. How long did it take to get your new call sign?
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

ColinB

ColinB

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 872 posts
took about 3-4 weeks

HAM KJ7RRC

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
I think it's time to bring back this class for another round of learning what to do with your ham radio once you have your FCC issued call sign. The last class was well attended and many of those are now hams and on the air. I have tentative approval for both location and speakers once all parties agree on a date.

I'd like a show of hands of those who would be interested in attending this class sometime towards the end of March.
You do not need to have a ham license to attend, however there will be a space limit and I may have to give priority to current hams.

ColinB

ColinB

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 872 posts
I am in.

HAM KJ7RRC

TigerDan

TigerDan

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • North of the North Bay
  • KO1RVR
  • 1991 Range Rover
  • 1995 Defender 90
  • 1961 Series 2 88"
  • 1994 RRC SWB
  • 1994 RRC LWB
I would be interested. After almost a year of having my license I can get by pretty well, but there's still so much I don't know. Heck, I'd be happy just to learn the uses of some of the functions on my radio...I think it's smarter than I am!

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004
I would like to come.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
I would like to attend. I'm making a concerted effort to get my lic in time for DV. I might ask for a radio for my b-day to give me more of a push.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
I would be interested in a class. Beaver and Rob have taught me the basics, but it is not easy to learn. These radios are very sophisticated and not user friendly.

Brenton, definitely try to get your license before DV. You will be amazed at the clarity and distance of HAM vs CB. But many HAM clubs only have the cram-class/license test once a month, so sign-up soon. You need to get an FRN number on the FCC website before you can sign-up for a class. It is free for your FRN, so do it now. Then sign-up for a class, buy a cram book or study tests online. It is not too difficult.

Also, you can't buy a radio until you have a valid HAM license, so sign-up today and good luck!

I have a cheap Puxing handheld radio hand-me-down from Beaver/Rob that is only $70 shipped. It is a great starter radio with upgraded antenna. The Wouzon is also good at around $120. I will get a mobile (car installed) radio at some point, but the handhelds work great for trail runs and hiking.
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts
  • KD2RVR
I can't find anywhere that is testing in March. I see some for last Sunday and some in the middle of April. I'd like to attend a "cram the exam" day as my brain tries to makes sense of what I'm reading, not just learning the correct answer.

Any tips or locations that are testing in March would be great. TIA!

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

I can't find anywhere that is testing in March. I see some for last Sunday and some in the middle of April. I'd like to attend a "cram the exam" day as my brain tries to makes sense of what I'm reading, not just learning the correct answer.

Any tips or locations that are testing in March would be great. TIA!

Brenton, This Saturday the Redwood City group is testing. You may just surprise yourself.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts
  • KD2RVR
Aww man. Tomorrow? I don't think I can make it. My g/f's 5th Anniversary Show is tomorrow night and I'll be busy all day getting it setup:(

Thanks Jim.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

MichaelBeaver

MichaelBeaver

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
I will check the sac ham group and see when they are testing... Usually around the middle of the month. B

Also I will have a spare hand-held (HT) for anyone who gets cert'd prior to DV (if your going to DV that is) that you can borrow for the trip :)
Beaver (Twitter: @darthbeaver)

LR Street Cred:
2000 Discovery II - 3" TerraFirma Lift, AMV solenoid CDL, BajaRack Expedition Rack, Dual Battery
2010 Range Rover Sport
1990 RRC Trailer "Land Trailer"
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Dream. Explore. Discover." ~ Mark Twain

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts
  • KD2RVR
That would be great if you could look into it Michael. That would be much better timing.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users