Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Ham Radio...

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
337 replies to this topic

TigerDan

TigerDan

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • North of the North Bay
  • KO1RVR
  • 1991 Range Rover
  • 1995 Defender 90
  • 1961 Series 2 88"
  • 1994 RRC SWB
  • 1994 RRC LWB
Here are some (but not all.) Just enter your zip code and select the range you're willing to travel (25, 50 or 100 miles.)

http://www.arrl.org/...se-exam-session

Edited by TigerDan, 17 February 2012 - 06:16 PM.

MichaelBeaver

MichaelBeaver

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
Ham Cram for the Citrus Heights VE - march 17th @8:30am.

Contact Joe Cardoza (KA6ROM) cardozas@comcast.net

This is where Robg, Teds and I all did our ham test. It's a 4hr cram and then you take the test. Test is at 1pm.

I highly recommend this group as they are very helpful with questions during the cram session.
Beaver (Twitter: @darthbeaver)

LR Street Cred:
2000 Discovery II - 3" TerraFirma Lift, AMV solenoid CDL, BajaRack Expedition Rack, Dual Battery
2010 Range Rover Sport
1990 RRC Trailer "Land Trailer"
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Dream. Explore. Discover." ~ Mark Twain

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Dan that's a great link, I didn't realize how many exam days are out there.

Beaver, I think I will try to make this cram session on the 17th, and contact Joe.

Thanks everyone!

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

MichaelBeaver

MichaelBeaver

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
Let me know, we can try and get the EG folks together for lunch with you...

LR Street Cred:
2000 Discovery II - 3" TerraFirma Lift, AMV solenoid CDL, BajaRack Expedition Rack, Dual Battery
2010 Range Rover Sport
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Dream. Explore. Discover." ~ Mark Twain

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • KD2RVR
Sweet, I just Joe an email.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • KD2RVR
Got an email back from Joe. The date and location has changed.

From Joe:
We changed the date and time of our next session. It will be in Auburn on March 24, 2012 starting at 8:30AM.

The next session will be on May 19, 2012 also starting at 8:30AM in Orangevale

I've asked Joe to send me the address for the 3/24 session and will post it here when I get it.

Also, assuming I pass the test, can I stop by HRO on the way home and pickup a radio? Do I need my call sign or some form of proof that I passed the test to purchase?

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

MichaelBeaver

MichaelBeaver

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
Unfortunately no. Your call-sign (which HRO wants prior to selling you a radio) doesn't get assigned for 7business days. I will have an extra handheld in case for anyone who passes but doesn't have a radio for DV.

Robg and I got the Icom 2200h mobile radio for 170$. It's a single band 2m 65e radio with a decent amount of features that allows you to get a mobile radio without dropping 600$...

LR Street Cred:
2010 Range Rover Sport

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Also, assuming I pass the test, can I stop by HRO on the way home and pickup a radio? Do I need my call sign or some form of proof that I passed the test to purchase?

Brenton,

HRO will sell you a radio only if you have a call sign in the FCC database. It usually takes 4-7 days for your call sign to be assigned after you pass the test. I would suggest you wait to buy your 1st radio. Sounds like you may have a chance to play with some other radios on the DV trip.

TigerDan

TigerDan

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • North of the North Bay
  • KO1RVR
  • 1991 Range Rover
  • 1995 Defender 90
  • 1961 Series 2 88"
  • 1994 RRC SWB
  • 1994 RRC LWB
You do get a paper, a receipt basically, that says you passed the test, that may be enough proof for some people. Also, most Hams selling used radio equipment will want a call sign to prove you're legit and will state that in their ads, but I've noticed many folks on eBay selling used radios aren't even Hams but have just come across the equipment and are offering it up for sale and so don't care who buys it. When I bought my first radio from eBay the seller didn't even ask for my call sign. I had just passed the test on Sat. won the auction on Sun. and the radio was shipped and on it's way Mon. though I hadn't been assigned my call sign yet...

Edited by TigerDan, 18 February 2012 - 09:25 AM.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • KD2RVR
Ok, I'll keep that info in mind. Thanks everyone.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)
I'd be interested in relay use. Let me know when in March.

PCRover

PCRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
In case anyone is confused on this... There is no LEGAL reason for HRO (or anyone) to not sell you a radio licensed or not. There is no FCC rule prohibiting the ownership of ANY radio available for public sale. The FCC rules only prohibit you from transmitting on the radio if you are not licensed for use on the frequency/band.
Gary

NCLR002
'94 D90

MichaelBeaver

MichaelBeaver

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
true that there is no LEGAL reason.... just many won't sell unless you have a Call Sign...

LR Street Cred:
2010 Range Rover Sport

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

I think it's time to bring back this class for another round of learning what to do with your ham radio once you have your FCC issued call sign. The last class was well attended and many of those are now hams and on the air. I have tentative approval for both location and speakers once all parties agree on a date.

I'd like a show of hands of those who would be interested in attending this class sometime towards the end of March.
You do not need to have a ham license to attend, however there will be a space limit and I may have to give priority to current hams.

David Haycock, who ran our last class says they won't have time to schedule a class before the DV trip but he did offer to anyone in our group to attend the following:

We have scheduled a “Get On the Air Class to help you choose and use a hand held radio.
This two session class which will be held on the 22nd and 29th of February.

Session 1 Choosing a radio
Date Feb 22nd 7:00 pm
Location 431 Stardust Place, Alameda, CA 94501 (AFD Training Building next to the Red Cross Building)

Session 2 Get to know your radio and Get on the Air (!)
Date Feb 29th 7:00 pm
Location 431 Stardust Place, Alameda, CA 94501

If you do attend, please let David know you're with our club. He would be interested in scheduling another class later in the year if there's interest.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • KD2RVR

In case anyone is confused on this... There is no LEGAL reason for HRO (or anyone) to not sell you a radio licensed or not. There is no FCC rule prohibiting the ownership of ANY radio available for public sale. The FCC rules only prohibit you from transmitting on the radio if you are not licensed for use on the frequency/band.

That's what I was thinking. What if I wanted to buy a friend a radio for a birthday present, but I don't have a lic. I can't see a store (brick and mortar especially) giving up a sale because of the buyer doesn't have a license.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
I just got my new call sign: WJ6SPK.

My assigned call sign was just too difficult to say quickly...Brian, if you could update the first post, I would appreciate it.

on monitor...

Also, I just got a new battery for my puxing777 direct from china off ebay and it only took 5 working days to get from china to sacramento. incredible...It has the Puxing logo and stickers and does not appear to be a cheap knockoff, but the real thing.
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,737 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD

I just got my new call sign...

...I just got a new battery for my puxing777...

Ccongrats! I am thinking of getting a Puxing777, or maybe the 888; how do you like the 777 so far and did you get it from eBay (particular seller you'd recommend); like to get one to compliment the mobile ham in the truck; I can use the HT while out of the truck or lend it to someone. Let me know. Will be an early Christmas present for myself. Thanks!

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR
Heading to Sunnyvale for Linda to take her test this morning.
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

HMBRover

HMBRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
Go Linda !!!!

Ted, I got your new call posted. Much better! :D
Brian
2004 Discovery II G4 Edition, "Jack" or "General Lee" or "The General"
KØDTJ
Avatar photo by Ron B; Oregon Discovery Trail 2008
NCLR019

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR
She passed! New call sign on Monday.
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users