Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Ham Radio...

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
337 replies to this topic

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Congrats Linda!

I like the Puxing777. It is actually a gift from Rob and Beaver and then Beaver bought another Puxing b/c it is a great radio for a great price. I have only used it on one road trip and it worked fine. I upgraded the antenna for better distance as the ducky it comes with is pretty weak. I got almost two days of life on the standard 1200mah battery and upgraded to a 1600 for a spare. Like any HAM radio, they are difficult to figure out how to program, but Beaver has an app on the computer which is much easier. For DV, I am going to mount a roof antenna to the handheld and see how it works. I have no complaints with the Puxing. I plan on using it awhile as I won't be getting a mobile unit for some time.
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

ColinB

ColinB

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 872 posts
Brian mine was updated too I am now KJ7RRC

HAM KJ7RRC
95 LWB RRC 3 inch rte lt-230, 35x12.5/15 bfg km2, GBR 4.14 with trutracs front and rear, Rovertracks front Hd axles and cv's, Ashcroft Hd rear axles,
Rte rear trailing arms,Warn 8k, RTE bumpers front and rear with P-Fab Mods, Flowmaster exhaust ,custom sliders GRB F+R driveshaft, RTE steering links. 12 in Bilstien 7100's

TigerDan

TigerDan

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • North of the North Bay
  • KO1RVR
  • 1991 Range Rover
  • 1995 Defender 90
  • 1961 Series 2 88"
  • 1994 RRC SWB
  • 1994 RRC LWB
WTG Linda! I didn't have any doubts...!

MichaelBeaver

MichaelBeaver

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
If you are looking for a "rugged" inexpensive extra HT the 777+ is great. Cost is 67$ shipped from Hong Kong. But it is a PITA to program.

The Wouxun 3UV from powerwerx.com at 120$+shipping/tax is better if you want dual band/easier to program/etc. the programming cables are about 20$ and both use same as the kenwood (s/w is free for both as well).

I will bring both to the 3/31 event so people can check them out. Will also bring the programming s/w as well.
Beaver (Twitter: @darthbeaver)

LR Street Cred:
2000 Discovery II - 3" TerraFirma Lift, AMV solenoid CDL, BajaRack Expedition Rack, Dual Battery
2010 Range Rover Sport
1990 RRC Trailer "Land Trailer"
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Dream. Explore. Discover." ~ Mark Twain

MichaelBeaver

MichaelBeaver

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
Congrats Linda!

LR Street Cred:
2000 Discovery II - 3" TerraFirma Lift, AMV solenoid CDL, BajaRack Expedition Rack, Dual Battery
2010 Range Rover Sport
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Dream. Explore. Discover." ~ Mark Twain

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,760 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD

If you are looking for a "rugged" inexpensive extra HT the 777+ is great. Cost is 67$ shipped from Hong Kong. But it is a PITA to program.

Thanks Michael. Do you have the programming cable for the 777+; I am thinking of buying this HT, and cable for about $10 free shipping; what do you think? http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c24ceff21

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

MichaelBeaver

MichaelBeaver

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
Here is where I got both Ted's Puxing 777+ and mine: http://www.409shop.c...t.php?id=102243

this is where I got the Wouxun and the programing cable for both the Wouxun and the Puxing: http://www.powerwerx.../wouxun-radios/

THe cable from PowerWerx is 15$ + shipping but it works and I have had no driver issues... I have seen posts about the programing cables on ebay having driver issues... YMMV...

LR Street Cred:
2010 Range Rover Sport

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

The Wouxun 3UV from powerwerx.com at 120$+shipping/tax is better if you want dual band/easier to program/etc. the programming cables are about 20$ and both use same as the kenwood (s/w is free for both as well).

I purchased the Wouxun on your recommendation and am really happy with it. Only the squelch lets it down (programmable rather than rotary). I note that you can get Ebay deals on them for around $90 with programming cables or extra batteries. I got the car cigar lighter power supply so that it can sit it in the cradle on the dash, charging (in use), then grab it for winching and spotting activities.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
I went cheap and got my second battery (1600mAh vs 1200 standard), cable and remote speaker from Hong Kong on ebay.

I bought the speaker and cable from seller 'pftdrm09' (http://myworld.ebay....984.m1497.l2754)
I bought the battery from user 'digital_come06'. (http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_1991wt_1196)

The battery is OEM with "Puxing" on the back and all the correct stickers. It is slightly thicker, but still fits in the charger fine and has additional capacity. It came direct from china in 5 days.
I have not tested the cable yet,so not sure as to quality. The remote speaker I bought is smaller than one Beaver has and seems to work fine. The two of them bought together came in 17 days.
I didn't have a particular reason from buying from these sellers, but they had good feedback and they were quick in shipping from China.

The next accessory I want is the 12v cord for the battery charger. The battery eliminator did not work well in the P38 cigarette lighter. I think it pulls too much wattage when transmitting and disrupts the stereo and then kinda shorted out the HEVAC controls. Now everything is in celsius!

I plan on using just the batteries and then swapping them out as needed. But from Graeme's post, it sounds like I can keep it in the cradle while on and also charging off 12v while in the truck. In Moab, the standard battery lasted almost two days.

Edited by Teds, 15 March 2012 - 07:41 AM.

2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s

KSuttle

KSuttle

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Getting ready for a trip to Bakersfield for work and looking to bring my new Wouxun along.

Can anyone give me a quick primer on IRLP or Echolink and any good manners I need to observe when using either? I'd like to see if I could call up here to someone one night next week just to see how it works.

Kevin Suttle
KJ6IBK

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"His" - 2005 LR3 aka "The StormTrooper" - Coil Suspension, Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60R18's, RS Stage 1 Sliders, Safari Snorkel, Hannibal Roof Rack
"Hers" - 2007 LR3 SE7 aka "The Adventurer" - BFG 265/65R18's, RS Stage 3 Sliders, ARB Deluxe Winch Bull Bar, BajaRack RTT Roof Rack

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
Some of you may know that I run net control every other Monday morning on the N6NFI repeater 145.230 in Palo Alto. Here is some information I was sent that I think the group could use.

GENERAL CLASS AMATEUR RADIO LICENSE COURSE STARTING April 26th!
Upgrade now! Sign up for the FARS General Class License Training Course!

Dates: 6 two hour weekly classes starting Thursday April 26th and running through May 31st, 2012
Time: 7 pm – 9 pm on Thursday evenings
Location: Mountain View Fire Administration Building, 1000 Villa Avenue, Mountain View CA 94041
Cost: $30 ($25 for K‐12 students, or seniors 65 or older), text book not included, exam cost is included!

Sign up soon on the web at: http://www.fars.k6ya.org/classes or email Kevin at k6xxx@arrl.net for more info.

It’s getting closer to the top of the sunspot cycle, and long distance contacts are getting easier on more and more bands every day!
Get your General and get in on all the fun now!

Ready to take your Amateur Radio experience to the next level?
Ready to earn your HF voice and high power privileges?
Ready to communicate with other hams around the world?

This course will cover everything you need to know in order to pass the FCC General Class License Exam.
Now's the perfect time to upgrade your ham license!
Not only will you gear up to pass the exam, you'll also gain valuable general radio and amateur radio practical knowledge, and learn other fun stuff!
The exam is given as the last class session, and its cost is included!
There will be a maximum of 35 students so that everyone has a chance to ask questions.
While a Technician class license is recommended, it is not required to take this course.

Questions? Contact Kevin Weiler, K6XXX at k6xxx@arrl.net
Sponsored by Foothills Amateur Radio Society (FARS - http://www.fars.k6ya.org/)

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)
Just used ECHOLINK and talked to a ham from Mumbai India. Which brings to mind, all you NCLR hams, is anyone using ECHOLINK? I'd like to communicate with the BA and I think repeater systems don't link together over long distances.
It'd be cool to use for trips to talk to base and give daily live reports.

KJ6IOF

Rupert

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
I know Rob has used ECHOLINK before. We were going to try this on the last Death Valley trip, but hitting repeaters in DV is very difficult and only in certain parts of the park.There are some good apps out now that can help identify repeaters based on your location which could make this easier. Two years ago ,Brian had a very large antenna he was testing out, but it blew over in the wind and broke.

One nice thing about last years DV trip was that everyone in the group was on HAM. It made communication very easy and clear. HAM is far superior over CB...

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
FYI
For those thinking of using ham @ black rock desert.
From Black Rock Amateur Radio Assn. IRLP repeater.
http://cq-blackrock....lp-tutorial.php

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
If you don't see your name/callsign on this thread, please update.
Thanks.
2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
too lazy to look,

Chris Solis KK6CQE

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
I think there are other threads with similar/updated info... but in the Spirit of Solis: Tom Owen, KG6DHD

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

HMBRover

HMBRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
This thread has been replaced in favor of the link below which is in the NCLR Member's Forum and offers a bit more privacy.

http://norcalrovers....hlight=ham rado

This thread should be closed ..
Brian
2004 Discovery II G4 Edition, "Jack" or "General Lee" or "The General"
KØDTJ
Avatar photo by Ron B; Oregon Discovery Trail 2008
NCLR019

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users