Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Ham Radio...

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
337 replies to this topic

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
Ron,

I found your information here. http://www.rubicontrail.org/newstuff/
There's more useful information for everyone to read.

Here are the available repeaters along the Rubicon Trail.

146.805 mHz, –0.0600 mHz split, PL 123.0 – The main KA6GWY repeater, located in the Placerville area, it works well on the western slope of El Dorado County including the western side of the Crystal basin and in the Sacramento Valley. This is the appropriate repeater to use in these areas and is permanently linked to the repeater on the trail.

444.9875 mHz, +5.00 mHz split, PL 156.7 – This is the Rubicon repeater, boasting year around hand-held coverage on all of the Rubicon Trail. It should be used in the Rubicon for talking from one area of the trail to another. Note that there is a receiver for the 146.805 permanently linked to the repeater so all of the 146.805 traffic will be heard.

444.9875 mHz, +5.00 mHz split, PL 107.2 – The same repeater listed above, but using a different PL will cause the Rubicon repeater to connect a transmitter to the 146.805 repeater, thus linking the two repeaters. This repeater should be used to contact emergency services or to talk to an amateur radio operator outside the Rubicon on the 146.805 repeater.

145.605 mHz, +0.600 mHz split, PL 123.0 – This is the Tahoe basin repeater. It is permanently linked to the 146.805 repeater and works well in most areas of the Tahoe Basin as well as in some side canyons.

Ron: You still have time to get your license.....:P

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR

Ron,

I found your information here. http://www.rubicontrail.org/newstuff/
There's more useful information for everyone to read.

Here are the available repeaters along the Rubicon Trail.

146.805 mHz, –0.0600 mHz split, PL 123.0 – The main KA6GWY repeater, located in the Placerville area, it works well on the western slope of El Dorado County including the western side of the Crystal basin and in the Sacramento Valley. This is the appropriate repeater to use in these areas and is permanently linked to the repeater on the trail.

444.9875 mHz, +5.00 mHz split, PL 156.7 – This is the Rubicon repeater, boasting year around hand-held coverage on all of the Rubicon Trail. It should be used in the Rubicon for talking from one area of the trail to another. Note that there is a receiver for the 146.805 permanently linked to the repeater so all of the 146.805 traffic will be heard.

444.9875 mHz, +5.00 mHz split, PL 107.2 – The same repeater listed above, but using a different PL will cause the Rubicon repeater to connect a transmitter to the 146.805 repeater, thus linking the two repeaters. This repeater should be used to contact emergency services or to talk to an amateur radio operator outside the Rubicon on the 146.805 repeater.

145.605 mHz, +0.600 mHz split, PL 123.0 – This is the Tahoe basin repeater. It is permanently linked to the 146.805 repeater and works well in most areas of the Tahoe Basin as well as in some side canyons.

Ron: You still have time to get your license.....:P

Here are some more commercial frequencies. May need to have a "modded" radio to talk on em though..

The CalCord frequency is 156.075 - lets you talk to the emergency helicopter directly.

When you see the Jeep Jamboree USA helicopter (black and yellow Bell 500) in the air, you have another source for help. Trail guides and helicopter communicate on simplex 151.625 - that frequency might also reach Merlin Scott, the former caretaker at Rubicon Springs now mostly at Spider Lake. If you can reach him, he can definitely get a call out to get the paramedics to your location.

In case you have no way of communicating in any way after an emergency just run down to Rubicon Springs on foot. You'll get there faster than you think.

I am usually on the trail from Monday through Thursday and can be reached on the same frequency (151.625) - I'll be happy to call out on my sat phone to get you medical assistance fast.

If you have a CB radio (use CH 10 on the Rubicon) or GMRS family radio you might be able to raise someone on the trail to relay your call for help to the outside world. But don't count on it. CB and GMRS radios are the least reliable option when it comes to getting help.
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

PCRover

PCRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
For those who do not know, itis completely ILLEGAL to talk on those channels without a commercial / business license for those frequencies.

The ONLY exception is in the case of an emergency when you can talk on just about any frequency.

An emergency is NOT when you run out of beer...:D

Here are some more commercial frequencies. May need to have a "modded" radio to talk on em though..

The CalCord frequency is 156.075 - lets you talk to the emergency helicopter directly.

When you see the Jeep Jamboree USA helicopter (black and yellow Bell 500) in the air, you have another source for help. Trail guides and helicopter communicate on simplex 151.625 - that frequency might also reach Merlin Scott, the former caretaker at Rubicon Springs now mostly at Spider Lake. If you can reach him, he can definitely get a call out to get the paramedics to your location.

In case you have no way of communicating in any way after an emergency just run down to Rubicon Springs on foot. You'll get there faster than you think.

I am usually on the trail from Monday through Thursday and can be reached on the same frequency (151.625) - I'll be happy to call out on my sat phone to get you medical assistance fast.

If you have a CB radio (use CH 10 on the Rubicon) or GMRS family radio you might be able to raise someone on the trail to relay your call for help to the outside world. But don't count on it. CB and GMRS radios are the least reliable option when it comes to getting help.

Gary

NCLR002
'94 D90

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

The ONLY exception is in the case of an emergency when you can talk on just about any frequency.

I believe in an emergency, you can use ANY means of communication needed to get assistance..........that being said...

An emergency is NOT when you run out of beer...:D

What is this country coming too? I thought part of of my "Budweiser Points" was airdropped beer as needed.....now this? Running out of beer is an emergency! If I get a hangover and am stuck on the trail, SOMEONE is going to be hurt.......

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

I believe in an emergency, you can use ANY means of communication needed to get assistance..........that being said...

What is this country coming too? I thought part of of my "Budweiser Points" was airdropped beer as needed.....now this? Running out of beer is an emergency! If I get a hangover and am stuck on the trail, SOMEONE is going to be hurt.......

(just in case it is not clearly obvious...these are sarcasitic statments made in total jest....these comments do not reflect the views of the NCLR, its BOD, members, friends, family, sponsors, those associated with Budweiser, humans, off roading, any thing that may use a trail not limited to animals, people, elements or the trail itself....." (that would be what the world is coming too....ugh)

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
Thought it was time to revive this thread after a few members who attended the Tread Trainer class Saturday mentioned they would like to get their amateur radio license. I was told that a few people who were on the Rubicon trip last year reported that the ham radios really helped coordinate the 2 groups separated on the trail. I'd like someone to write up a little on this. ;)

Now is the time for those of you who have yet to complete the test for your own ticket. I'm listing a few places in the bay area that are having examinations in the next few months. This is by no means a complete list, just a primer to get you motivated. The technician test is not difficult at all if you have a basic understanding of electronics. A little more studying if you don't. :D

Get out there and give it a try. You may surprise yourselves. :)

Livermore, HAM training and testing
Sat, March 27, 8am – 4pm
3575 Pacific Ave, Livermore

BAEARS ham Cram
Sat, April 3, 8am – 5pm
Morgan Hill - http://baears.org

Silicon Valley VE Group
Sat, April 3, 8:00am – 10:30am
Sat, April 17, 8:00am – 10:30am
Sat, May 1, 8:00am – 10:30am
Sat, May 15, 8:00am – 10:30am
Saratoga Fire Station, 14380 Saratoga Ave, Saratoga

April 25 in Oakland: http://www.ww6or.com/Map_to_club.html
ORCA/EBARC/ARCA Volunteer Exam Session

in Fremont at Hurricane Electric 48233 Warm Springs Boulevard, Fremont.
April 15 Thursday 6:30 – 9:00 p.m.
May 8 Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
July 10 Saturday 9:00 a.m.– 11:30 a.m.

Sunnyvale VEC Exam Sessions
http://www.amateur-radio.org/exams.htm
Apr. 10 Sunnyvale 10:30 AM Sat.
Apr. 17 Redwood City 10:30 AM Sat.
May 08 Sunnyvale 10:30 AM Sat.
May 15 Redwood City 10:30 AM Sat.
May 23 Ukiah Sun.
Jun. 12 Sunnyvale 10:30 AM Sat.
Jun. 19 Redwood City 10:30 AM Sat.

Of course for a more detailed look at exams around the country follow this link.
http://www.arrl.org/...xamsearch.phtml

So Will, Ron and you others who have been putting it off, time to add your names to the list below. :cool:

I've turned this post into a who's-a-ham list for NCLR. As more members get their licenses, I'll update this list.

Carlos - KG6YYV
David - K6DWB
Gary - K6HN
Tony - KI6LQH
Brian - KØDTJ
Enrique - KI6QBY
Mike - KI6LQI
Chuck - KI6WSR
Tyler M - KI6WSS
Leigh - KI6ZHB
Jim - KJ6AAV
Luis - KJ6ALA

Last update - 7/1/09

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR
I was one of the HAM's on the Rubicon trip. As we had the Ham's with us, we were able to separate the group (leaving behind some who were working on mechanical) while proceeding to our camp site in Rubicon Springs. The breakdown was back near Buck Island -- about 4 hours of trail time.

We had contact with the group pretty much the entire time via Simplex. We were able to talk through options for the fix, and once the problem (a grenaded differential) was discovered -- came up with a creative fix -- essentially cannibalizing one of our trucks and walking the part back to Buck Island for the fix. Of course, the intrepid hikers also had a HAM handheld. FRS or CB would not have cut it.

If there had been a real emergency, we would have hit the repeater -- and then we could have reached anyone by asking for one of the HAM brethren listening to make some phone calls to the local hospital (or the local parts shops) for us. The key there was that we had researched (as listed in this thread) the frequency locations. I tested it by doing a little "rag chewing" on the drive in.

Had we not had the HAM in this situation, we would have two groups -- separated from one another -- without making coordinated decisions. We would have also, I could say without a doubt, not have been able to peform the extraction of the broken vehicle by Sunday evening.
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

Gotrovr

Gotrovr

Rover

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
Ham definately saved our bacon :)

Will

'05 LR3 HSE "Donkey"

'16 LR4 HSE  "Perseus"

Building a life journey one puzzle piece at a time

HMBRover

HMBRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
There are lots of resources on the web to help you get your license. I think I have posted some of this elsewhere but can't find it now.

Amateur Radio Relay League "Where do I start?" http://www.arrl.org/...ad/classes.html

Practice tests for all license types: http://www.qrz.com//testing.html Run through the Technician practice test until you can consistently score 85-90% and you'll be ready!

Another how-to site with links to learning references, practice tests and testing sites. http://www.radioexam.org

One of the best guides is the ARRL License Manual - Technician Class available at HRO or directly from ARRL (http://www.arrl.org/catalog). I think some club members have this guide and may be willing to pass it along to prospective hams.

See you on the air!!
Brian
2004 Discovery II G4 Edition, "Jack" or "General Lee" or "The General"
KØDTJ
Avatar photo by Ron B; Oregon Discovery Trail 2008
NCLR019

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
Here's an update and a teaser...I just got a vanity call sign. K6BBA. You can do it too. Check out the FCC database at QRZ.com to see if your perfect call sign is available. Took only 2 weeks to get the new sign.

HMBRover

HMBRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
Congrats, Jim. Yeah, that's kinda neat and K6BBA is a good one. When I got my license a year ago I did the same think and got my old call back that was originally issued in 1957! Nobody else had it in all that time. :D
Brian
KØDTJ
NCLR019

PCRover

PCRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
Updated 440 Bay Area repeater use information is located here for all NCLR members.
Gary

NCLR002
'94 D90

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
The Fremont VE group will be holding a test session tomorrow, Saturday May 8th. The location is at Hurricane Electric 48233 Warm Springs Blvd. Fremont CA. http://maps.google.c......20Fremont CA
Session runs 9:00 am to 11:30 am. I plan on taking the General test.

Also tomorrow: The Sunnyvale VE Group will hold their test sessions at 1150 Lime Dr., Sunnyvale City Park called De Anza Park
http://www.mapquest....4087&country=US
10:30 am

Next Saturday, The Silicon Valley VE group meets at the Saratoga Fire Station, 14380 Satatoga Ave, Saratoga
http://maps.google.c...a Ave, Saratoga
8 am to 10:30 am

Also next saturday: Redwood city VE group. Redwood City Library 1044 Middlefield Rd 10:30 AM.

Get out there and learn amateur radio.

HMBRover

HMBRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
Just a heads up for those of you are going to take the Technician Class license exam. The current question pool from which the tests are made up will only be used until June 30, 2010. On July 1 a new question pool will be in effect. It will be in use until June 30, 2014. I read one analysis that said about 50% of the questions have changed from the old pool to the new one. ARRL and other organizations are publishing or have published new study guides for the new question pool.

So if you have been studying and doing the practice tests, make sure you take the test BEFORE July 1, 2010. If you plan to take the test after July 1 make sure you are studying from the NEW question pool study materials.

Both new and old question pools are available at this link: http://www.arrl.org/Tech-Question-Pool

Good luck! See you on the air!!
Brian
KØDTJ
NCLR019

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
Great point Brian. The General Class License (Which I am now) test question pool is good through June 30, 2011.

Just a heads up for those of you are going to take the Technician Class license exam. The current question pool from which the tests are made up will only be used until June 30, 2010. On July 1 a new question pool will be in effect. It will be in use until June 30, 2014. I read one analysis that said about 50% of the questions have changed from the old pool to the new one. ARRL and other organizations are publishing or have published new study guides for the new question pool.

So if you have been studying and doing the practice tests, make sure you take the test BEFORE July 1, 2010. If you plan to take the test after July 1 make sure you are studying from the NEW question pool study materials.

Both new and old question pools are available at this link: http://www.arrl.org/Tech-Question-Pool

Good luck! See you on the air!!

HMBRover

HMBRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
Congratulations on the license upgrade, Jim. That's great! Time to go shopping. :D
Brian
KØDTJ
NCLR019

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)
I'll be taking the last tech test b4 they change to the new test. BTW what's the suggested mobile radio brand/ model? Kenwood? Icom? Yaesu?

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
Big props for diving into the hobby. My only useful suggestion is to see what others in your area are using. You can inquire at a local radio club. My Elmer was key in finding my 1st & 2nd radios, plus I got very useful operating instructions.
With that said, I have Kenwood radios (g707 & Th-f6a) and I've found the programming very easy & they work like champs.
I know others here have other equipment so how about everyone speak up & share their radio info.

HMBRover

HMBRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
WTG Rupert! Good luck on the tests. As to radio brands, I think any of the three you mentioned will serve you well. I'm biased towards Yaesu only because I've never owned or used the other two brands.

Probably your first decision is where you will use the radio: lots of hiking = handheld; driving and off-roading = mobile; or fixed for home. Handheld transceivers will have a maximum of about 5 watts output and therefore have limited range and access to repeaters. A mobile/fixed unit with 20-50 watt output will be more useful and give you access to repeaters which are farther away providing more coverage. Mobile units can be used at home as well by running off an external power supply.

Another choice is whether you want to get a single band (144 MHz) or dual band (144 MHz and 440 MHz) unit. The dual band ones are more expensive. What repeaters are available in the areas you want to use the radio? One way to find out is to check out this site: http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/ Not all repeaters that are active are listed and not all the ones listed actually exist but it's a start.

If you want to use APRS (Automated Position Reporting System?) then you need a radio with those interfaces. Kenwood is probably the leader in APRS.

Used radios can be found for sale on Craig's List and EBay but you need to know what you are getting - the seller doesn't always know or tell you. One good source for info and reviews on radios by make and model is: http://www.eham.net/reviews/

And don't forget the NCLR club discount at Ham Radio Outlet in Oakland.

Hope this helps.
Brian
KØDTJ
NCLR019

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
Brian, Once again, great info. I would also suggest people check out www.qrz.com callsign database. You must be a ham to register, but the call sign lookup is easy to use. I bought my last radio on their swap meet forum from a fellow ham at a very reasonable price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users