Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Ham Radio...

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
337 replies to this topic

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
Here is another opportunity for everyone and this one is free.

Get On the Air
Congratulations - you've just got your license, and your ready for the next step - but what now?
Whether you just got your license, or have had it for a while, but aren't sure what to do next, join us for a two part "Get on the Air Class".

The class will be held in Alameda on Tuesday 1st and Wednesday 2nd June 2010, is open to all and is free of charge.
Note that this is a two day class, not two one day classes.

Outline
The class is ideal for the Technician Class licensee, or anyone who wants to know more about using the VHF and UHF bands.
Topics will include:
How to choose the best radio to meet your needs How to get the best out of your radio How to find your way around the bands Correct operating protocol for contacts on simplex and repeaters Exploring communications other than voice.

This is a "hands on class" so bring your radio if you have one, or get ready to purchase one so you can get on the air and enjoy operation on these great bands (practical session on Thursday in Part II).

Class schedule
Tuesday 1st June, 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Wednesday 2nd June, 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm

Alameda Fire Department Training Building
431 Stardust Place, Alameda, CA 94501
(Intersection of W Midway and Rainbow Ct) at Alameda Point.

Registration
Walk ins are welcome, but it does help if you can let us know you are planning to attend.
Contact David Haycock (KI6AWR) email ki6awr@arrl.net, or call 510
846-0011
or Paul Bailey Gates (KA6GEM) email paulcbg@comcast.net

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
Congratulations to Kevin & Lucinda. Brian, we should add the Suttles to our list of hams.

"Lucinda and I are newly Ham certified (KJ6IBK and KJ6IBL)"

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD

Congratulations to Kevin & Lucinda. Brian, we should add the Suttles to our list of hams.

"Lucinda and I are newly Ham certified (KJ6IBK and KJ6IBL)"

Congrats Kevin and Lucinda! I need to work on mine next. C yah!

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109
Yeah! Congrats Amigos!! Let's see how many Ham licensees we can get this year.

Enrique
KI6QBY

NCLR #10 Current Director & Founding Member
1962 Series IIA Reg. Waiting to be restored :(

1967 Series IIA Two Door Pick Up, Daily Driver
1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD
1995 LWB RubiconReady, SOLD
1998 D1, 4.6 Relocated to KY 

1998 D1 Arles Blue. Dismantled 
06 LR3 HSE ARB bumper with Warn Winch

1992 SWB Da Yeti. Dusy Ready

HMBRover

HMBRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
Done! Congrats guys. Come on Ron, you can do it! :D
Brian
2004 Discovery II G4 Edition, "Jack" or "General Lee" or "The General"
KØDTJ
Avatar photo by Ron B; Oregon Discovery Trail 2008
NCLR019

KSuttle

KSuttle

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
We were amazed that we scored KJ6IBK (K for Kevin) and KJ6IBL (L for Lucinda). They assign in sequential order, so I guess we just got lucky.

Kevin Suttle
KJ6IBK

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"His" - 2005 LR3 aka "The StormTrooper" - Coil Suspension, Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60R18's, RS Stage 1 Sliders, Safari Snorkel, Hannibal Roof Rack
"Hers" - 2007 LR3 SE7 aka "The Adventurer" - BFG 265/65R18's, RS Stage 3 Sliders, ARB Deluxe Winch Bull Bar, BajaRack RTT Roof Rack

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
Here's more opportunities for you to get your amateur radio license. I hear a lot of talk from some of you swearing you want to get your license.

The Salvation Army with the Mt. Diablo Amateur Radio Club will be holding a 6 week class where you can learn everything you need to earn your Technician license.
First class is September 1st at 7-9 pm at the Salvation Army 3950 Clayton Road (at west St.) Concord 94521. This is a free class and the book is about $23. to sign up email: hamradioclass@gmail.com or call 925 465-9554.

If you feel you're ready to take a test, the Sunnyvale VE group has a regular schedule on Saturdays.
Next one is Jun. 12 in Sunnyvale 10:30 AM
Jun. 19 Redwood City 10:30 AM Sat.
Jul. 10 Sunnyvale 10:30 AM Sat.
Jul. 17 Redwood City 10:30 AM Sat.
Aug. 14 Sunnyvale 10:30 AM Sat.
Aug. 21 Redwood City 10:30 AM Sat.

The Tri-Cities VE Group's next session
Thu, June 17, 6:30pm – 9:00pm
Hurricane Electric 48233 Warm Springs Blvd. Fremont CA

Silicon Valley VE Group
Sat, June 19, 8:00am – 10:30am
Saratoga Fire Station, 14380 Satatoga Ave, Saratoga, CA

I am also looking into having a how-to class for our group coming soon. I can also schedule a special testing session for our group if there is enough interest.

Good luck getting on the air.

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)
July 1 starts a new exam pool. Anyone studying the old question pool should take their exam ASAP before end of this month. Just passed the Tech exam today and got my CSCE. Now waiting for official word from FCC on ULS.

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109
Good job Rupert. Let us know what your call sign turns out to be... maybe you'll get "KI6IBR"

So what are the changes to the test?

Enrique
KI6QBY

1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD

Rveiga

Rveiga

Robert (NCLR122)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello all, Sorry I have been out of touch, traveling internationally for work for the past several months. Anyway, got back a few weeks ago, packed up the Rover and headed to Utah for 2 weeks. Will post some pics in a different thread. I hold a general class license with call sign KJ6DKH. I use an ICOM 7000 with Outbaker Perth Plus antenna and tuner. Hope to hear you on air.

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Good job Rupert. Let us know what your call sign turns out to be... maybe you'll get "KI6IBR"

Congratulations Rupert! Great to have another ham in the Rover community. My guess on your call sign will be:: KJ6INZ or higher.

Robert; Wow the Icom 7000 is a super sweet rig. If you have it mounted in your Rover, let us know how you did it & please include pics.

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)

Congratulations Rupert! Great to have another ham in the Rover community. My guess on your call sign will be:: KJ6INZ or higher.

Robert; Wow the Icom 7000 is a super sweet rig. If you have it mounted in your Rover, let us know how you did it & please include pics.

No cigars for Enrique or you.
It's KJ6IOF
Must be a big rush to get licensed before new test pool takes effect.
New test pool is 400 questions. They'll still be using 35 questions though. I saw some schematics on the QRZ website, probably more Part 97 questions too.

Now to buy a used/new mobile rig...HRO ???

Rveiga

Rveiga

Robert (NCLR122)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
MrVideo,

Thanks. I removed the in dash cup holders and mounted the faceplate with angle brackets in its place. The faceplate extension cable was run under the center console to the right rear side cabinet. In the lower portion of the cabinet is my air compressor, so I built a shelf and placed the radio body and tuner on top. The upper frequency antenna cable I snaked through to the space behind the tail light and out through the roof gutter gasket. The Perth Plus antenna cable I had to drill through the floor and up through the rear bumper. I have a pretty beefy spring connector for the antenna but it still swings back and forth pretty violently when off road. I am trying to figure out a way to dampen this without creating a pivot point if the antenna does get hit by a branch. I have attached some pictures.

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

No cigars for Enrique or you.
It's KJ6IOF

Fascinating, I was only off by 7. I checked the database this morning. I wouldn't sorry too much about the change in test questions because the majority of information you've learned to this point will be useful in future and surely applicable overall. I was told by a VE (who's been around a few revisions), that many of the current pool of questions for Technician will reappear in the new pool of questions. I wouldn't count on any of the web based tests to have the most current pool for a few months.

MrVideo

MrVideo

Banned

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
Today a Mexxi's, Luis, Enrique & I discussed the serious need for a how-to class on ham radio for our group. I know I've mentioned this before to a number of our members. This afternoon, I reached out to David Haycock (KI6AWR) who teaches such a class with his partner Paul (KA6GEM) for small groups throughout the bay area. We spoke for 40 minutes and we understood each other's goals for this type of class and he feels like we are a good group for him to work with.

This will not be a ham radio technician type class. David wants to work with the people who have a license or close to getting a license and need some help understanding their equipment and using all of it's features. He is thinking of a 2 part class of 2 hours each. An intro session would be classroom material, then the second half would be hands on with your equipment.
This is just in the beginning stages, so I want some input from the group about

1. Would you attend?
2. What you would like to see in such a class?
3. Best day to do this?
4. Where can we hold this type of event?

If there is enough interest here, I'll move it to a new thread. Anyone who is interested in this subject would be welcome licensed or not. I will give priority to club members who are licensees first if necessary. So everyone speak up!

Jantiz

Jantiz

Luis (NCLR079)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
You already know I'd be intrested. I got my license from one of those Cram Sessions offered in San Francisco. Walked into it with zero knowledge about Hams and learned enough in the half day class to pass the test and to get completely intimidated about usin a Ham radio. So much so that I never bought or used one after getting licensed. I'd like someone that can break this down into simple English and make it user friendly. I have no interest at this time in talking with people from Mars with a Ham. I'd just be happy to be able to participate in conversation within our convoys at club activities with other ham using members.
"Sharky" / "Darth Vader"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Luis

'07 LR3 SE / '06 LR3 HSE

HMBRover

HMBRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
Jim, I think this is a great idea! I'd be glad to help out in any way I can. If Dave and Paul have a set of classes put together then that is the best way to go. I'd like to attend and learn more about VHF/UHF and get exposure to different makes and models of radios.
Brian
2004 Discovery II G4 Edition, "Jack" or "General Lee" or "The General"
KØDTJ
Avatar photo by Ron B; Oregon Discovery Trail 2008
NCLR019

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109

Today a Mexxi's, Luis, Enrique & I discussed the serious need for a how-to class on ham radio for our group. I know I've mentioned this before to a number of our members. This afternoon, I reached out to David Haycock (KI6AWR) who teaches such a class with his partner Paul (KA6GEM) for small groups throughout the bay area. We spoke for 40 minutes and we understood each other's goals for this type of class and he feels like we are a good group for him to work with.

This will not be a ham radio technician type class. David wants to work with the people who have a license or close to getting a license and need some help understanding their equipment and using all of it's features. He is thinking of a 2 part class of 2 hours each. An intro session would be classroom material, then the second half would be hands on with your equipment.
This is just in the beginning stages, so I want some input from the group about

1. Would you attend?

Carlos and I would love to come to this.

2. What you would like to see in such a class?
How to program repeaters, long range/distance communication, internet acces and I'm sure others will chime in with other suggestions.

3. Best day to do this?
We could do it at Mexxi's on a Sunday morning.

4. Where can we hold this type of event?

If there is enough interest here, I'll move it to a new thread. Anyone who is interested in this subject would be welcome licensed or not. I will give priority to club members who are licensees first if necessary. So everyone speak up!

Thanks for setting this up!

Enrique
KI6QBY

1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
I'd certainly like to attend a class like this. I've tried a few times to learn more about HAM, but get lost too quickly without someone there to explain things a little more. Using the internet, ( iHam (?) don't sue me Mr. Jobs!) with it is especially intriguing.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

Gotrovr

Gotrovr

Rover

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
Ii like the NCLR class idea and will try to attend, also we should think about having a class/demonstration at our annual event

Will

'05 LR3 HSE "Donkey"

'16 LR4 HSE  "Perseus"

Building a life journey one puzzle piece at a time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users