Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LR3 Tires

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Jantiz

Jantiz

Luis (NCLR079)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
Ok, guys. I am REALLY liking what I've been reading about the GY Dura Trac. The only issue is the limited selection on sizes for the LR3. The only size available currently that even comes close to fitting is the 275/65/18 but that is a 32" tire. I'm sure I can put my Sasq extensions to good use and put them under there if I have to.

Perhaps someone can show me how to get to the dadgom flenge in front of the rear tire wells that most people are either grinding down or beating down to make room. The tread pattern looks aggressive enough to compete amongst M/T threded tires but quiet enough to fall in the A/T category. Add to that, awesome winter/wet performance with all that sipping which I always seem to need for one reason or another and you get why I'm really liking them. And I just bought brand new Hankooks :o Guess I can always put them on my wife's LR3 when we buy it next year and buy Dura Tracs for mine. Or, perhaps I could sell them (less than 1,000 miles of use) and buy them now!!!!!!!:eek:
"Sharky" / "Darth Vader"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Luis

'07 LR3 SE / '06 LR3 HSE

jz-is-fishing

jz-is-fishing

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hey Luis I'm with you I like the Dura Tracs also. Seem like a pretty good all roundeer. Still waiting to hear more about them. May get them after I go through My Nitto TGs. I had a side wwall puncture in the dessert with the Nittos and was kinda suprised as to how easily it happened, but my fault for sure, lower PSI for sand travel in scrubby desert.

They make the GY Duras in 275/70/18 Big but would work on Coy's lift. I'm doing the Rubicon with my rig and I sure could use a set of 33+ inch tires at least for that trail.

Anyway Nice tire choice

JZ

Jantiz

Jantiz

Luis (NCLR079)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
I posted on LRRF but placing a copy here also just in case:

Well, I did it. I had a new set of Dura trac installed today. So far, driving back from the America's tire in Dublin to Oakland, my take is this:

1. Definitely have to lift to fit these. I have the adjustable extensions so no problem there. They fit perfect with the sasquatch extensions put to good use.

2. They hum, but only at low speeds. Around 30-40 MPH seems to be the loudest, but even then it's not a loud aggravating hum, rather a mild reminder that there's serious/aggresive rubber riding at all 4 corners. The faster you drive, the more the hum disipates. Once you get to highway speeds (60-70) the treads seem to balance out better and they become surprisingly quiet for such an aggresive tire.

3. There is no tread vibration fed through to the steering wheel. Perfectly smooth and comfortable ride.

4. The feel of the LR3 running permanently lifted 2" is as smooth as runing stock height, but with an attitude. The extra height gives the seating position a feeling of complete comand of the road.

5. For the love of all I hold dear, the LR3 looks SICK with an extra 2" of lift and those tires at the corners!!!!!!! I still can't get over how quiet they are considering the super deep tread and the serious lugs on those things that have MT written all over it, yet ride and sound more like an AT.

6. I will take my turn trying them on the local trails at Hollister next Saturday with the club and will report back.

7. If you are looking for always perfectly quiet tires for the LR3, this is not for you. I think the most aggresive tires I have used to date that made practically no noise or needed no mod were the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 (265/65/18). But if you find that your off roading habits demand more aggresive traction but you are not ready to go completely MT and all the noise that comes with it, then these may be the tires for you.

8. What? You haven't ordered a set yet?
"Sharky" / "Darth Vader"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Luis

'07 LR3 SE / '06 LR3 HSE

Gotrovr

Gotrovr

Rover

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
dang, sweet moses, what's that song .....

"That's the way a hu a hu I like it a hu a hu" :D

Will

'05 LR3 HSE "Donkey"

'16 LR4 HSE  "Perseus"

Building a life journey one puzzle piece at a time

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Looking good Luis. How'd ya' slip those past "The Boss"? :P

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

Phil.

Phil.

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • KO6RRS
  • 2006 Range Rover Sport
  • 1995 Defender 90 SW

Looking good Luis. How'd ya' slip those past "The Boss"? :P

exactly! one minute, it was hey anyone want to buy my old tires that i just got 1000 miles ago so i can pick up the GYs and the next minute, pics are posted. LOL.

so what size did you end up getting? 275/65-18? now you got me wondering if i could grab some shortened rods from dave and sticking a 32" under there. what about the spare?

2006 Java Black Range Rover Sport HSE | 1995 Alpine White D90 SW #317/500
nclrclub.jpg
jeepsuvlandroverbanner.gif

NCLR014

Gotrovr

Gotrovr

Rover

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

what about the spare?

my guess is be like most other RRS drivers and rack it

Will

'05 LR3 HSE "Donkey"

'16 LR4 HSE  "Perseus"

Building a life journey one puzzle piece at a time

Jantiz

Jantiz

Luis (NCLR079)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
I have been blessed with a MOST understanding wife!!! :cool: She knows this is my hobby and she was ok with holding the Hankooks for her LR3 next year.

I am still running with the stock 19" spare under the truck. Waiting for a reasonable aftermarket rack so I can put it on the rear where it should have been all along. Already bought the 18" wheel I'll use for the full size off road spare but it wont fit under the LR3.

Went with the 275/65/18. It's still amazing to me how at 65mph the slight hum goes away, almost like turning on a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones.
"Sharky" / "Darth Vader"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Luis

'07 LR3 SE / '06 LR3 HSE

jz-is-fishing

jz-is-fishing

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hey the spare should fit, if you want to go to offroad tires all the time, just let the air down to 10-12 psi and then it should fit. had to do tthe same to mine, with the Nittos. I also had to remove the 4 round little stoppers so that the tire will sit up that extra inch, so i can get my tow hitch attached, without trouble.

JZ

Jantiz

Jantiz

Luis (NCLR079)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Hey the spare should fit, if you want to go to offroad tires all the time, just let the air down to 10-12 psi and then it should fit. had to do tthe same to mine, with the Nittos. I also had to remove the 4 round little stoppers so that the tire will sit up that extra inch, so i can get my tow hitch attached, without trouble.

JZ

I definitely want to see how you fit that under there. Guess there will definitely be some checking out all the mods we've done on Saturday. I know a few guys who are shopping for mods very soon :D
"Sharky" / "Darth Vader"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Luis

'07 LR3 SE / '06 LR3 HSE

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER
I have to say after seeing the MI6 Super Swampers on Coy Glasscock's LR3 this weekend on John Bull I would go that route:)

sasquatch

sasquatch

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

exactly! one minute, it was hey anyone want to buy my old tires that i just got 1000 miles ago so i can pick up the GYs and the next minute, pics are posted. LOL.

so what size did you end up getting? 275/65-18? now you got me wondering if i could grab some shortened rods from dave and sticking a 32" under there. what about the spare?

C'mon Phil... I'm dying to see an RRS with a proper stance! We KNOW the rods are the same...hint, hint. The Java Black looks sick with those tires!

Jantiz

Jantiz

Luis (NCLR079)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
Yup. The RRS and the LR3 are almost identical twins under the skin. Don't let the rest of us influence you, but DO IT !!! :rolleyes:
"Sharky" / "Darth Vader"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Luis

'07 LR3 SE / '06 LR3 HSE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users