+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Medical Air Lift Insurance

1. Medical Air Lift Insurance

Anyone have medical air lift insurance?

If yes, which company do you use?

A club member brought it to my attention that a medical air lift cost $37k which was not covered by his insurance.

So if you like sports with "high risk" of serious injury e.g. head injury from skiing, even our loved sports of 4wheeling e.g. serious roll-over. And as careful as you can be, something sh*t happens.

Or have a medical condition that warrants medical air lift service should problem arise outdoors, worth it IMO.

There is one company that was suggested to me: http://phicares.com/index.shtml

Has a national plan including CA, AZ... but not all states.

Areas covered might work for most people. I contacted Phl Air and looked at the contract and the coverage is by County. I don't see El Dorado (Rubicon) or Place County (Lake Tahoe) and other the counties where I freq wheel.

Was told that if "as a Phil Air" member, ended up in an emergency and a diff carrier is used and not Phi Air, I will not be reimbursed. Suppose you can request Phil Air if conscious, but what if not... or Phi Air for example, doesn't cover that area.

Anyone w/experience looking into the cost benefit, coverage and pros/cons of Medical Air Lift Insurance! Or any recommendation on ins carrier in the El Dorado/Placer County where my family and I skii, wheel, and Mtn Bike during our vacations.

Thanks!
    Last edited by RON CT110; 02-06-2010 at 09:33 PM.

2. I think a big consideration is exactly what you were told, Ron. "...ended up in an emergency and a diff carrier is used and not Phi Air, I will not be reimbursed". In most cases where you will need air transport, the choice of carrier will not be up to you.

About 15 years ago, I was involved in an accident (on a quad, went off a 200 ft. ravine), and was air lifted out. I was unconscious, so no choice, but it was the search and rescue helicopter that carried me out. The cool part was that the owner of the helicopter donated the time/expense of the service, so there was no cost.
    Robb

LR3, D90, & SIII

3. Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by wineryrover Click here to enlarge
    I think a big consideration is exactly what you were told, Ron. "...ended up in an emergency and a diff carrier is used and not Phi Air, I will not be reimbursed". In most cases where you will need air transport, the choice of carrier will not be up to you.

About 15 years ago, I was involved in an accident (on a quad, went off a 200 ft. ravine), and was air lifted out. I was unconscious, so no choice, but it was the search and rescue helicopter that carried me out. The cool part was that the owner of the helicopter donated the time/expense of the service, so there was no cost.
    Thanks for sharing that Robb. And thank goodness for Search and Rescue (SAR), you are alive today to share your story.

My local SAR has never billed for rescue either to know knowledge, or sadly if it's a body recovery mission, not the victim's family either; they take the position of eliminating the fear of being unable to pay for having one’s life saved. I think the non-profit org public services e.g. SAR who reports to the Sheriff's Office Emergency Services Division (where they get the budget/money for running their operation, equipment and air/ground support comes from) takes this position.

I dare to bet for profit e.g. most hospitals/doctors will bill.

I posted the same question on Expo, and one guy said he was in a motorcyle accident and had to be airlifted to a hospital. He was billed $15k.

This exercise actually forced me to look into my medical benefit w/Aetna PPO (Preferred Provider Org).

Found out that my family and I are covered for Air Ambulance Services. Need to pay a $350 deductible and then my health plan will cover 80% of the air lift cost.

If I do the math, $350 + 20% (let's use $20k is the bill for sake of example) or $4000. My out of pocket cost would $4350. Compared to $20k. Much better.

If I can find an air lift insurance charges a small fee e.g. 50/yr, might be worth looking into. Someon suggested to look into Calstar w/coverage in N. Cal.

So if I am conscious, I can request for this air lift provider, and if I am not, I will be just glad to be saved free or using my insurance.

I am going to follow-up with Calstar; I understand they network with other air lift provides (unless Phil Air) and can possible cover you if out of Calstar footprint w/network of providers; will inq about indy membership and perhaps group membership for interested NCLR members. Will report back!
    Last edited by RON CT110; 02-03-2010 at 07:53 AM.

4. Interesting thread. Honestly, I have never thought about medical air lift insurance. I will have to check our policy and see what is covered and not covered.

5. Hollister Hills recommends an air carrier, I'll see if I can figure it out, or if you at MORG, ask at the front gate..

6. Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by astateofmike Click here to enlarge
    Hollister Hills recommends an air carrier, I'll see if I can figure it out, or if you at MORG, ask at the front gate..
    Thanks Mike. Not able to go to the MORG today; have a few "Honey Do" list to complete; let me know what Hollister SVRA recommends or if they can't make recommendations - ask who they have worked and seen used as air lift carrier in the past; thanks!

My research is not complete, but Calstar is looking good so far vs Phi Air.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Blog Entries

Hello, this is Lukas, just got a 04 Disco II and joined the club this week...

I did an avalanche training a couple weeks ago and I noticed a new device, the "Spot Satellite Messenger". It's basically a small beacon that has a couple buttons and there is another thread about the SPOT device somewhere here.

Now, we know SAR is expensive. The device has an additional plan that covers 100k of SAR missions for $12.95 a year. I think that's a good deal if you are out there a lot...
    http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=104

Hope to meet all of you soon,
    L
    Last edited by Lscherrer; 03-09-2010 at 10:27 PM.

8. Hello Lucas,thanks for the post. You're right - I am coming to the conclusion the best deal out there for rescue/emergency insurance is Geos Search and Rescue benefit for$12.95 a yr plus the cost of the SPOT device (spot2 = $149.95 one-time purchase) and service subscription ($99.99 annl). Geo coverage is extensive vs regional air lift insurance nicely packaged with the SPOT.

I also looked at Calstar and could be a good option if you are within their coverage area and don't have a SPOT device; cost is indy coverage is $40/yr: http://www.calstar.org/

9. Join Date
    Nov 2007

Update on Air Ambu (PHI Cares). Now $30/yr and covers a wider area
    See attachments.
    I renew yrly b/c I live in a rural area.
    Attached Files

10. Join Date
    Sep 2008

the two carriers out in the east bay are cal star and reach. i know cal star is all around california.
    Concord CA,
    2006 LR3 SE with HD
    Baja Rack, Gap EAS IID tool, LEDramized 40" light bar and work lights, BFG TA/KO tires
    "waiting for an adventure"

+ Reply to Thread